Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] No solution needed  (Read 7864 times)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
[EN] Re: No solution needed
« Reply #15 on: 2015/07/23, 14:36:31 »
Tried the VMware Workstation Technical Preview on a fully updated siduction system, with headers and build-essential installed.  Didn't end well -- I obviously don't know something important.

Code: [Select]
root@Hibiscus:/# vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
Failed to get gcc information.

System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Online towo

• Administrator
  • User
Re: No solution needed
« Reply #16 on: 2015/07/23, 14:45:17 »
I don't know, what's wrong on your side:

http://paste.debian.net/285221/

Maybe you have to set gcc-5 as standard-gcc.
« Last Edit: 2015/07/23, 14:52:47 by towo »
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Runaway1956

« Reply #17 on: 2015/07/23, 16:08:40 »
Tried the VMware Workstation Technical Preview on a fully updated siduction system, with headers and build-essential installed.  Didn't end well -- I obviously don't know something important.

Code: [Select]
root@Hibiscus:/# vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
Failed to get gcc information.

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-5 100

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #18 on: 2015/07/23, 17:47:15 »
update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-5 100

Yep, THAT'S the important thing I did not know.  Thank you very much!
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Runaway1956

« Reply #19 on: 2015/07/24, 02:34:04 »
OK - I got VMWare installed and working - and experienced problems with the mouse.  VMWare documentation seems to be a little better than VirtualBox' documentation.  With a couple of searches, I found that disabling, then re-enabling the USB controller for the VM (from within VMWare's control panel) often fixed the problem with erratic mouse.

I've restarted VBox, went into controls, and removed the USB controller, started up the VM, and I had no mouse at all.  Shut it down, went into the VBox control screen, and re-enabled the USB controller.  I have normal mouse control now. 

That is somewhat encouraging - BUT - I did have normal mouse control within this particular VM until recently. 

I think that I'm ready to try Siduction within a VBox VM again.  I've got my fingers crossed . . .

Errrrr - no.  Within several minutes, my VMBox VM has a funky mouse again.  Can't click anything.  The mouse moves around within the VM, and I can highlight stuff under the mouse.  I click the mouse, the cursor kinda blinks, and nothing happens.  Hmmmm - apparently common problems in both VM environments.

I'll get to the bottom of this yet.  Wonder if it's my hardware?
« Last Edit: 2015/07/24, 02:40:26 by Runaway1956 »

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #20 on: 2015/07/24, 02:52:15 »
As said by towo`, the preview VMWare is working well here with a Win 8.1 VM.  But that ends in December.  I need a longer term  solution, for sure.  I have a Win 8.1 VM set up to do the "free" upgrade to Win 10, which will come after 29 JUL.  If my required Windows apps run correctly on Win 10, which I expect they will, then I will take the plunge to buy a Win 10 license and figure out how to make a KVM virtual machine to run it.  If I can get that working, then I think I'll have a good solution for the duration ....  (I'm 64 -- it doesn't need to run forever .....)   :)

Runaway1956

« Reply #21 on: 2015/07/24, 04:17:05 »
Heh.  I'm only 59, but I expect Win7 to last for as long as I'll need to worry about Windows applications.

Fact is, I seldom use Windows for anything.  For me - Windows is something of an obfuscation tool.  If I can masquerade as a Windows user on the internet, then I'm more anonymous.  Anonymity can be a valuable commodity, sometimes. 

I presume that everyone is up to date with NSA spying, and the Five Eyes, etc etc? 

Aside from that, there are many corporate entities out there that specialize in tracking users.  I like to throw monkey wrenches into their machinery. 

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #22 on: 2015/07/24, 16:34:04 »
I'll get to the bottom of this yet.  Wonder if it's my hardware?

I would think "yes".  I have both Linux and Windows VMs on two different hardware systems, one an older Intel mobo and this one is a newish Asus, and I have never seen an issue with a USB mouse on either platform.  I favor the MS optical mouse -- the cheapest 3-button model I can find.