Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Liquorix Kernels  (Read 12780 times)

mylo

[EN] Re: RE: Liquorix Kernels
« Reply #15 on: 2012/01/11, 13:49:14 »
thanks, so I leave it as it is.

Offline ralul

• User
Re: RE: Liquorix Kernels
« Reply #16 on: 2012/01/11, 14:22:11 »
Quote from: "mylo"
Quote from: "ralul"

... using systemd inspite of default insserv as init.

Hi ralul,

is your statement a recommendation for a change?
No, no! As devil said, systemd is highly experimental. What I hoped from systemd: Better control of my whole system and services.

Also my systemd enable Debian-siduction runs and starts up faster: I have nearly no control.

The problem at the moment with systemd: There is a sysv compatible layer that starts all of /etc/init.d scripts. You have ways to control but very unconvenient:
- All not, or you have to
- disable one by one (You have to make named links to /dev/null)
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

nadir

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Liquorix Kernels
« Reply #17 on: 2012/01/11, 22:42:57 »
Quote from: "tlmiller"
yes, right now it's still up to date.  But it will start slowing down with keeping up to date after they hit 3.2.

I still don't think so, and i don't know why you think that.

btw:
that is what you wrote:
and except for a few months right after the release of a new stable, they tend to get their kernels long in the tooth.

and a few months is ago more than just a few months.

tlmiller

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Liquorix Kernels
« Reply #18 on: 2012/01/12, 02:42:49 »
Okay, they stay up to date for 6-8 months before they get stale on kernels.

damentz

« Reply #19 on: 2012/01/17, 03:38:33 »
Hi everyone,

To make things clear, I don't think it's appropriate for Liquorix to be part of an ISO as a preinstalled choice.  Towo pointed out the first one, it is not DFSG.  And second, Liquorix contains less tested features (CK patches, BFS, BFQ, special RFC patches from LKML that could or could not improve performance and behavior of the kernel in all circumstances).

Also, I would like people trying Liquorix to know what they're getting in to, and for it to be their choice to install it (according to their own curiosity or research).  Providing Liquorix as a pre-installed choice may just further confuse new users.

And last, if anyone needs help or wants something changed, you can point them to the Liquorix forums: http://techpatterns.com/forums/forum-34.html

PS.  Congratulations Towo!  One of many reasons I departed to work on my own kernel was that sidux's support ignored feedback on their kernel.  It was very one sided and no discussing or reasoning made any difference.  I'm hearing good things about you, so good luck with siduction!

hinto

« Reply #20 on: 2012/01/17, 15:18:00 »
I have yet to need a Liquorix kernel.  Towo's work great, even under a heavy load such as hosting multi-core 64-bit vm guest.

Personally I left sidux because (among other reasons) VMWare became a pain to patch due to the kernel that was shipped with sidux.

The reason I have re-imaged my 2nd PC and use the siduction packages in my primary PC is the rock-solid history I've seen with the siduction guys.
-H

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #21 on: 2012/01/17, 18:25:40 »
Hi damentz, good to see you here!
By the way, there is a fresh BFS for a 3.2 Liquor, have a look at
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.2/3.2-ck1/patches/
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #22 on: 2012/01/17, 22:21:36 »
Welcome over, damentz...and keep up the good work on your kernels as they work very well. Perhaps you could even make some contributions to siduction that you been denied with sidux and aptosid

I also remember towo getting so much flak by sidux/aptosid team for offering his packages on frickelplatz..smart move to move away from that cancerous riffraff

hinto

« Reply #23 on: 2012/01/17, 22:24:14 »
@damentz,
Glad to see you here, too.  For the longest time I was running Liquorix in LMDE and #!.
-H

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Liquorix Kernels
« Reply #24 on: 2012/01/17, 22:46:44 »
Quote from: "hinto"
@damentz,
Glad to see you here, too.  For the longest time I was running Liquorix in LMDE and #!.
-H

I've also used his kernels with great success on Semplice Linux and AntiX too. The Liquorix kernels are mainly for people who are adventurous like me :)

As for Towo's kernels they are quite solid too with none of slh's defaults that tend to break things like VMware and fglrx

hinto

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Liquorix Kernels
« Reply #25 on: 2012/01/18, 01:21:58 »
^Yep.

sqlpython

Liquorix Kernels
« Reply #26 on: 2012/02/07, 22:09:22 »
.. Sorry, I know this thread is a bit long in the tooth..
Just wanted to add a comment as long time Liquorix user..

Haven't used a Liquorix Kernel since Squeeze froze..
However I was always impressed with his work and happy that the alternative was there to use.

That said....(I did not know until today that kernels here were  the work of @towo)

One of the compelling features of Siduction is the robust and responsive kernel...Good Job!
I like the engine.

Of course should either/both kernel hackers like the notion, it could benefit each to communicate.. just a thought.