Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] TexasFlood in siduction?  (Read 5904 times)

otto

[EN] TexasFlood in siduction?
« on: 2012/01/20, 00:07:21 »
:idea:
Dear siduction buddies,
I would like to introduce you about the software TexasFlood which can become the boot time the fastest in the world. You can read and download it to test with siduction at http://www.resulinux.forumdebian.com.br/texasfloodweb/index_pt_BR.html
PS: It's a gnu licence (freeware).
cheers.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
RE: TexasFlood in siduction?
« Reply #1 on: 2012/01/20, 06:39:56 »
I started looking at TexasFlood after you mentioned it to me in an email.  I was actually waiting for the English manual which they say is due out soon.
Debian seems to be heading towards the use of systemd, with it's parallel init system, which, in Fedora speeds up boot significantly.  How TexasFlood optimizes boot should be interesting, but, until I see what they are doing with init priorities, I'll have to put it on the back burner.
I'm in no way an expert on init, and, TexasFlood may very well speed up boot, but, I'd like to see some explanation of what it's doing before I start experimenting with it.
If it's prioritizing some init services, and, reducing unnecessary init services automatically, it may be a good tool.  It would be nice to find out which services it's acting on without running it first and seeing what the results are.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
RE: TexasFlood in siduction?
« Reply #2 on: 2012/01/20, 09:03:53 »
The website and version number look a bit strange to me. Given its been around since 2007, 0.11 is a bit low for version number. A substitute for the init system has to be understood and trusted. I see no info on that website or any page google finds, to feed me with info to build that trust.

greetz
devil

otto

Re: RE: TexasFlood in siduction?
« Reply #3 on: 2012/01/25, 03:10:36 »
Quote from: "devil"
The website and version number look a bit strange to me. Given its been around since 2007, 0.11 is a bit low for version number. A substitute for the init system has to be understood and trusted. I see no info on that website or any page google finds, to feed me with info to build that trust.

greetz
devil

:D
Dear devil,
The founder of the texasflood is the developer of the brazilian distro called Resulinux at http://www.resulinux.net/web/site/  the newest Resulinux has the texasflood included but updated for 2011. The Resulinux is a live project. One of the members (Igor Isaias Banlian) of them has helped me a lot to build up the siduction Brazil and rebuild the aptosid Brazil.For the reason I named them one of ours partners.But you're right the texasfllod site which I have posted it's not updated.I just posted it in order to meet the project. But I can call him up to ask about the updating texasfloood in order to use with the siduction later on.If you're interested to.Please let me know about it.Try to download the Resulinux if you want to verify it. which It's the same base of us and check it up if it works to use it.I'm looking forward to hear from you about it.
Cheers.

Offline tuxic

• User
"Many people live and die..., and all they do is process groceries."
                  H. Peavey

Offline ralul

• User
RE: Re: RE: TexasFlood in siduction?
« Reply #5 on: 2012/01/25, 12:03:46 »
In this video of 2007 there is a reduction from 50 to 40 seconds shown using Texasflood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWAB9KSvpi0
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #6 on: 2012/01/25, 14:08:22 »
If someone with a clue wants to look into Texasflood, plesse do so. In the forseable future i will have no be able to spare the needed time to have a deeper look.

greetz
devil

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2012/01/25, 15:11:30 »
@devil, I think this boot optimizations tries where that of the time when ubuntu and others worked on this issue. Now we have:
- Debian insserv sysvinit
- Ubuntu upstart
- systemd

And I didn't found any hints of the ideas and techniques of Texasflood ...

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #8 on: 2012/01/25, 15:13:33 »

And I didn't found any hints of the ideas and techniques of Texasflood ...

thats when i lost interest.

greetz
devil

otto

Re: RE: Re: RE: TexasFlood in siduction?
« Reply #9 on: 2012/01/25, 15:18:27 »
Quote from: "devil"
If someone with a clue wants to look into Texasflood, plesse do so. In the forseable future i will have no be able to spare the needed time to have a deeper look.

greetz
devil

:D
Dear devil,
I have just talked to texasflood developer and he replied to me (by pm) he can make one new version especially for the siduction.
cheers.

Offline ralul

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: TexasFlood in siduction?
« Reply #10 on: 2012/01/25, 17:01:08 »
@otto, if texasflood is fully debian compatible, we can just use it. There is nothing very,very special about siduction.

But:
Nowadays there also is systemd in development. It is of special interest as it brings a bunch of new features. But it is not fully backward compatible. It is not bsd compatible and it is not decided to go that way. Just now for example, a lot of openSUSE maintainers fight about it in their devel-mailinglist.

For the potential option of systemd any new replacement of sysvinit/insserv would have to be extra cautionary! Before any one wants to invest time into something, he might want to have a look into the idea of something new. And nobody of us wants to use a black box.