Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Ever-changing ip address  (Read 5256 times)

hinto

[EN] Ever-changing ip address
« on: 2012/02/28, 17:42:20 »
I've done quite a few:
Code: [Select]

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

And each time I have to manually update my corporate dns server to a new ip address that siduction takes on.
Is there something in the process that tells the server to drop the lease on that address?

-Hinto

Offline michaa7

• User
Ever-changing ip address
« Reply #1 on: 2012/02/28, 19:18:10 »
I assume you don't mean dns server but dhcp server?

If so i'd say it depends on the configuration of the dhcp server (router?) whether or not it preserves ips for a given mac.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

hinto

RE: Ever-changing ip address
« Reply #2 on: 2012/02/28, 19:29:35 »
You are correct.
However, siduction is the only linux distro that requires a manual setup, that is an edit to the look up table.  It seems that there's something (ceni?) that causes the server to give up it's previous lease on the hostname/ip, since the hostname does not change.
-H

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2012/02/28, 20:54:53 »
I still do not understand your setup. Where is the dhcp server runnig. Is it a router (box) or a softwarerrouter on a siduction installation with dhcp?
In the later case maybe increasing the lease duration helps? See:
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/dhcp.htm
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

hinto

« Reply #4 on: 2012/02/28, 21:07:43 »
That's down in the corporate bowels (and out of my control).  I don't think it's a problem with the lease, since I have another sid-based distro using dhcp with no problem.  That is, I can dist-updgrade till my heart's content without losing the lease on my ip address.  Is there something in siduction that re-generates a MAC address or anything.  It's odd that this is the only distro that does this.
-H

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2012/02/28, 21:29:42 »
ok, the picture becomes clearer.

What about comparing /etc/network/interfaces of both installations (siduction ond other sid-based installation, it *is* the same computer?). After all it's the only thing the remote dhcp server can see.

hinto

« Reply #6 on: 2012/02/28, 21:49:26 »
No, not the same PC.
PC 1 (SID):
/etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

PC 2 (siduction):
/etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2012/02/28, 23:21:52 »
But that is not the whole output.

Why not commenting the lower two lines and see what happens? Or why not copying /etc/network/interfaces from the upper to the lower installation, at least for testing. Why is "dhcp" not needed in the upper installation?

BTW: how are these two computers connected to the corporate servers? Two patchtcables? A switch? ?

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
« Reply #8 on: 2012/02/28, 23:39:07 »

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

should be

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

iirc
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

hinto

« Reply #9 on: 2012/02/29, 14:50:58 »
^I'll give it a try.
It should be noted that I have not manually edited /etc/network/interfaces.
That was laid down by the installer (or auto generated).
-Hinto

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2012/02/29, 15:05:50 »
It was generated when you used ceni. There you have the opportunity to select "auto", "allow-hotplug" a.s.o.

hinto

« Reply #11 on: 2012/02/29, 15:14:51 »
^michaa7  That would allow for the difference, thanks.  For ceni, I just blindly selected the defaults, since everything seemed to work.  Thanks for solving the mystery ;)
-Hinto