Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] "Choose a language" and forum  (Read 11255 times)

Offline vilde

• User
[EN] "Choose a language" and forum
« on: 2012/05/02, 10:47:37 »
It took me some time to realize that the English part of forum has moved up to the top, yesterday I thought "aaahh, now they are writing only English on the German upgrade warning, but anyway....

Devil wrote that the language problem will be eliminated or less problematic on the new coming forum layout, I have no idea how that will look but a thought is to make the "Choose a language" also make the chosen language the primary or first visible in the forum if it's possible and of any use on the new layout.

sqlpython

RE: "Choose a language" and forum
« Reply #1 on: 2012/05/07, 08:26:28 »
Interesting...
I have read of the New Format also..
For my part as a USA based native.. makes no difference.
I will deal with whatever the language is...
 If I look for distros  for myself I do limit my search to
English, French, Spanish & German..
 If I try a Russian of Even an Italian Distro I look for One that is Strong in English.
..I have been dealing with German Linuxes since first installing SuSe in 1998..
Back then half the menus and Help was in German.. minor annoyance for the English speaking if you like a Distro..
 But that is just me..

Offline ReinerS

• User
"Choose a language" and forum
« Reply #2 on: 2012/05/07, 15:15:57 »
Well, I am not too happy with this language split as I myself could handle even "mixed" forums as the d-u warnings is now.
This would have the advantage that relevant informations is not spread through several forums. As it ist now I need to look more or less through complete seperate sections of the forum to look for infos and that makes it, to my opinion, more difficult and confusing.to use.
Especially when I just look for the newest entries and jump right into an thread I do usually not care/realize which language it is in (and use the one the last seen post is in) and when starting a new one I sometimes donot realize (yet (?)) the language that I should use. But maybe that is just men beoming old-aged :-)

On the other hand I have to admit that doping such might really confuse non-german-speaking users, so I might get used to that even I am not too happy about the idea. :?

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2012/05/07, 15:43:48 »
Quote from: "ReinerS"
But maybe that is just men becoming old-aged :-)

And you are not the only one!   :lol:

While I personally don't mind using the chromium-browser translator to see what the issues on the German side are, it is a fact that the majority of Americans (and probably Canadians too) have an immediate bad reaction when they are presented with a non-English language on a forum.  It's a cultural expectation here that everything in life is available in English and so it's an unpleasant shock if someone is forced to deal with another language. It's very different than Europe in that aspect.  Maybe we should not be that way, but ......

So I'm of the opinion that having the English forum up on top will definitely help attract North Americans to the forum.  At least I'm hoping so.

Even if it makes old Germans grumpy for awhile!   :D
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2012/05/07, 18:02:00 »
grrrummmelll :lol:  :lol:

regards

Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

jacmoe

« Reply #5 on: 2012/05/19, 21:11:05 »
I really like Siduction - it's an excellent distribution. :)

I came here from Sidux.
And you're on to something here.
Kudos for that.

What I really HATE is the insistence of using German..

Nothing wrong with German, if you live in Germany, but it sucks.

Why on Earth can't you guys just learn English?
And use it?
Don't you learn English in German schools?

It boggles my mind.

I understand German just barely, and I have to copy and paste forum bits into a translator, as Chrome doesn't 'get' that the language used is German since the forum reports English (I guess).

What's so wrong with English?
I thought you guys wanted world domination? :D

holgerw

« Reply #6 on: 2012/05/20, 09:53:48 »
Quote from: "jacmoe"
What I really HATE is the insistence of using German..

Nothing wrong with German, if you live in Germany, but it sucks.

Why on Earth can't you guys just learn English?
And use it?
Don't you learn English in German schools?

It boggles my mind.

I understand German just barely, and I have to copy and paste forum bits into a translator, as Chrome doesn't 'get' that the language used is German since the forum reports English (I guess).

What's so wrong with English?
I thought you guys wanted world domination? :D

Hello again,

Nobody is forced to use german, and also nobody is forced to use any other language here.

This forum is, what you and other members make of it. So if you've interesting stuff around siduction and linux, put it in the english part of forum and let it grow.

Noting is wrong with english, and also noting is wrong with any other language.

If I have a question, I use my father language to discuss about it, and it is german, if you want to take part of it, use google translation, if not, feel free to ignore it. But please do_not_educate_me which language I've to use.

If I want to help in an english thread, then I'll do my best to help in english language.

Kind regards,
  Holger

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #7 on: 2012/05/20, 20:02:33 »
Cậu bé đó là không đúng
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline cryptosteve

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2012/05/20, 20:26:35 »
Bless you! ;)
- born to create drama -
CS Virtual Travel Bug: VF6G5D

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2012/05/20, 20:44:30 »
Skärp till er nu

Offline michaaa62

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2012/05/20, 22:15:05 »
Quote from: "vilde"
Skärp till er nu
translate.google gives me 'belt to you now'... hm
Does this mean 'Hang yourself now!':twisted: ???

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2012/05/20, 22:59:50 »
That's what I sad before about auto-translations, not so good. "Att skärpa till sig" is an expression that maybe can be the same as "to shape up". So "skärp till er nu" doesn't mean that you shall hang yourself, more that you shall go back to order and behave. In this case with a  :wink:

jacmoe

« Reply #12 on: 2012/05/20, 23:33:41 »
Quote from: "holgerw"
Nobody is forced to use german, and also nobody is forced to use any other language here.

This forum is, what you and other members make of it. So if you've interesting stuff around siduction and linux, put it in the english part of forum and let it grow.

That's great. And I agree.
As long as German goes into the German Forum and English goes into the English Forum.
Right now, I don't have that choice, as too many German posts ends up in the English forum.
Especially the over-important d-u issues forum.

Quote from: "holgerw"
If I have a question, I use my father language to discuss about it, and it is german, if you want to take part of it, use Google translation, if not, feel free to ignore it. But please do_not_educate_me which language I've to use.

I believe I can, if you post German in the English Forum.
Especially since you are part of the Siduction team. :)
And if you do not post in the wrong forum, then I can educate you anyway, as you are responsible for the actions of others. (Being a mod).
Intentionally or not.

I am posting this not because I like to complain, but because I am interested in seeing the Siduction community grow.

I can live with a separate German Forum, and I can also live with the fact that the Siduction distribution has made German the default language for everything.
The spellchecker in Iceweasel is set to German...

That's not a big issue, but I think you'll benefit from choosing an official language and stick with it.
I know that you started out from being a German community, but that's history, isn't it?

Would be great if you moderators would move German topics and posts from the English forum whenever you see them.

Thanks - and keep up the otherwise splendid work.

/* switches spell checker from German to English */

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #13 on: 2012/05/21, 00:01:44 »
This issue with Germans posting in the EN section is atemporary issue, as we have moved the EN section to the top instead of the german, as it was before. So people just have to get used to it.

The upgrade warnings is DE/EN and that is wanted (users demand)

and I can also live with the fact that the Siduction distribution has made German the default language for everything.

This is a total misconception. We are international and are so intentionaly. and I do not believe that we have set the spellchecker in IW to DE (will investigate)

greetz
devil

holgerw

« Reply #14 on: 2012/05/21, 15:42:46 »
Hello @jacmoe,

That's great. And I agree.
As long as German goes into the German Forum and English goes into the English Forum.

It is nice, that your answear starts with an agreement :-)

Right now, I don't have that choice, as too many German posts ends up in the English forum.
Especially the over-important d-u issues forum.

Some issues have to do with moving english parts of forum onto the top, and some members are not familiar with this new situation yet. It's a little bit funny, that this action leads to issues, which give new stuff for your criticism :-)

In puncto education: No agreement. We're adults and I'm not in the position to educate anybody and also you're not in that position. I prefer to act with arguments.

As a mod I'm not responsible for the actions of other people, and I really hope, nobody of mod team has such a view. We try to avoid critical situations for example no fair play in a discussion with an appropriate access.

Would be great if you moderators would move German topics and posts from the English forum whenever you see them.

In this point you're right, the second point of agreement :-). It is our job and if you or somebody else find such a wrong placed comment, please let us now, and we will act. Sometimes it is difficult to handle this shortly after it happens.

And now I hope, this thread continues in a friendly way.

Kind regards,
  Holger