Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Installation and Mobile Broadband  (Read 4019 times)

conred

[EN] Installation and Mobile Broadband
« on: 2012/09/01, 00:28:23 »
Hello siducers,

I've installed the xfce flavor some days ago and really like it. This installer is amazing fast and even the first d-u went without the tiniest problem. I somehow expected some small hurdles related to sid, but nothing at all.
Except of one step at the installation which is a special use case:

If you have no cable (DSl) or wifi available and instead only a mobile broadband usb-stick, you get to the following hurdle:

Networkmanager needs the two packages modemmanager and mobile-broadband-provider-info to get most of the mobile broadband sticks running out of the box.

I got around it by chroot'ing into siduction from LMDE and running apt-get, but it would be much more easier if
Code: [Select]
modemmanager mobile-broadband-provider-infocould be added to the (xfce) installation iso.

Well, a very rare use case for installation. But imagine a netbook, a sim card, and a remote place for example. :)

Offline cryptosteve

• User
Installation and Mobile Broadband
« Reply #1 on: 2012/09/01, 09:59:25 »
You are right, networkmanager with broadband connections should work out of the box.

Thanks for your feedback.
- born to create drama -
CS Virtual Travel Bug: VF6G5D

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2012/09/01, 11:32:31 »
Hi,

additional idea:

As network-manager itself does not need much explainations, it may be helpful to include bluelupos wiki for nmcli use or a hint to it into the manual.

btw: is it planned to add networkmanager to KDE flavour too in the comming release?

greets ayla

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2012/09/01, 11:41:04 »
Sounds like a good idea. I will prepare a page for the manual , if 'I find the time. Not sure yet on networkmanager for KDE.

greetz
devil

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #4 on: 2012/09/01, 15:11:00 »
Done. will be uploaded later today.

greetz
devil

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #5 on: 2012/09/01, 17:59:35 »
Quote from: "devil"
Not sure yet on networkmanager for KDE.

greetz
devil

You'll have a very hard time talking me out of wicd.   :)
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2012/09/01, 21:32:37 »
Quote from: "devil"
Sounds like a good idea. I will prepare a page for the manual , if 'I find the time. Not sure yet on networkmanager for KDE.

greetz
devil

Even if there are no plans to include networkmanager in the KDE version by default, instructions for setting it up with KDE would be quite helpful for those who prefer NM over ceni or even Wicd. There is a package with the KDE frontend for NM that can be installed along with NM.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #7 on: 2012/09/01, 21:45:56 »
It's done, online later today

greetz
devil