Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Looking for NAS recommendation  (Read 3599 times)

mylo

[EN] Looking for NAS recommendation
« on: 2012/11/25, 21:02:36 »
Hi all,

I am looking for a storage solution, 2 to 4 TB, which I can plugin to the router via eth.

It should have an internal raid or let me say a "secure data doubling" and should be accessible from a siduction-client as well as from a win-client in the local LAN.  

Power consumption in stand-by shall be very low.

Any hints, experiences and recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Offline hsp

• User
Looking for NAS recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 2012/11/25, 22:23:14 »

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
RE: Looking for NAS recommendation
« Reply #2 on: 2012/11/27, 19:26:46 »
I have a Synology DS211+ (dual bay)
http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS211%2B&lang=enu

It has a Linux operating system, and is customizable.  I have it set up to run Raid 1 using two 1.5Tb Seagate drives.

It's accessible from a browser window or from terminal.  It also contains a whole host of software to extend it's use as a web server.

I haven't used it with Windows, but, it has the ability to set up Win/Mac/NFS.

The DiskStation software seems to be very well done.  The only problem I had, when I first got the device, was with moving large (>3GB) files using the browser based DiskStation software without installing Oracle Java, but, recent updates to the DiskStation software (or maybe the release of java-1.7.0-openjdk) seems to have remedied that, so, I have no complaints at present.

All in all, I'm satisfied with Synology.
Linux Counter number 348347

mylo

RE: Looking for NAS recommendation
« Reply #3 on: 2012/12/02, 17:16:29 »
thanks guys, I'll check your hints out.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: Looking for NAS recommendation
« Reply #4 on: 2012/12/03, 00:37:02 »
Quote from: "GoinEasy9"
I have a Synology DS211+ (dual bay)
http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS211%2B&lang=enu

It has a Linux operating system, and is customizable.  I have it set up to run Raid 1 using two 1.5Tb Seagate drives.

It's accessible from a browser window or from terminal.  It also contains a whole host of software to extend it's use as a web server.

I haven't used it with Windows, but, it has the ability to set up Win/Mac/NFS.

The DiskStation software seems to be very well done.  The only problem I had, when I first got the device, was with moving large (>3GB) files using the browser based DiskStation software without installing Oracle Java, but, recent updates to the DiskStation software (or maybe the release of java-1.7.0-openjdk) seems to have remedied that, so, I have no complaints at present.

All in all, I'm satisfied with Synology.

Sounds like a winner as this device is pretty much a server in its own right