Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] I suggest E-17 version on siduction  (Read 26945 times)

Offline DeepDayze

• User
[EN] Re: RE: Re: RE: Reset comp
« Reply #45 on: 2013/02/03, 22:28:34 »
Quote from: "dibl"
The default color scheme is shades of gray:

mmm that looks nice for a default E17 theme...bet debian will make use of that color scheme for their own default

How does the default profile work for you?

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Reset comp
« Reply #46 on: 2013/02/04, 00:05:33 »
The user profile is under ~/.e/e and I just started exploring there. I confess I don't understand everything I see there.  In general, the desktop works out of the box -- I haven't found anything I can't do.

There is a spurious error on logging in, that networking can't be started.  I think is due to the NAT bridge on VMware. The network is in fact working correctly (this is siduction underneath the DE).

There are two issues that I would consider bugs, but they're not fatal.  The screen resolution is way too "slippery" on a VM, and is hard to set using the graphical settings tool.  Somewhere in the guts of it is a file that I could edit, and if I could ever find it I could probably solve that issue.  The default is 800x600 which is too small for me.  The second issue only happens on my 64-bit VM.  Placement of a package on the "shelf" aka launcher works, but the icon is not displayed.  In other words, you can tell it is there, because when you hover the cursor over the empty area, it shows the name of the package, and if you click, the package launches, so it is some minor video display problem.  It works correctly on 32-bit.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

davidb

RE: Re: RE: Reset comp
« Reply #47 on: 2013/02/04, 14:20:23 »
I would love to see E17 with siduction. But since I don't know enough about package building I won't be good help I think.
Anyway, I can test things and give feedback if needed.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Reset comp
« Reply #48 on: 2013/02/04, 16:38:47 »
The user profile is under ~/.e/e and I just started exploring there. I confess I don't understand everything I see there.  In general, the desktop works out of the box -- I haven't found anything I can't do.

There is a spurious error on logging in, that networking can't be started.  I think is due to the NAT bridge on VMware. The network is in fact working correctly (this is siduction underneath the DE).

There are two issues that I would consider bugs, but they're not fatal.  The screen resolution is way too "slippery" on a VM, and is hard to set using the graphical settings tool.  Somewhere in the guts of it is a file that I could edit, and if I could ever find it I could probably solve that issue.  The default is 800x600 which is too small for me.  The second issue only happens on my 64-bit VM.  Placement of a package on the "shelf" aka launcher works, but the icon is not displayed.  In other words, you can tell it is there, because when you hover the cursor over the empty area, it shows the name of the package, and if you click, the package launches, so it is some minor video display problem.  It works correctly on 32-bit.

What happens if you were to set it up on a physical 64 bit  siduction install?

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Reset comp
« Reply #49 on: 2013/02/04, 18:03:00 »
Quote from: "DeepDayze"

What happens if you were to set it up on a physical 64 bit  siduction install?

Yep, I'm thinking about giving it a shot -- I have a Dell laptop running siduction KDE that should support it.

EDIT:  I have a Dell E6500 laptop:

Code: [Select]
System:    Host: delle6500 Kernel: 3.7-6.towo-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2)
           Desktop: Enlightenment 0.17.1 Distro: siduction 12.1-RC1 Desperado - kde - (201205152133)
Machine:   System: Dell product: Latitude E6500
           Mobo: Dell model: 0PP476 Bios: Dell version: A14 date: 07/31/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8600 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9576.66
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2401.00 MHz 2: 2401.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G98M [Quadro NVS 160M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV98 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 0c:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:23:4e:ab:86:7a
           Card-2: Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 2.1.4-k port: efe0 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth1 state: down mac: 00:21:70:d4:d3:04
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (44.7% used) 1: model: OCZ_VERTEX
Info:      Processes: 132 Uptime: 35 min Memory: 278.7/3948.4MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.7.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.37) inxi: 1.8.27

It has a broken ethernet chip and broken CD drive (which is why I got it cheap), but wifi works once you get the firmware installed.

So I took my set of 64-bit E17 deb files and installed them in sequence.  The only dependency that was missing was libxp6.  I accidently skipped installing the embryo package, and when I tried to install the edje package it errored out saying it could not find embryo.  So I backed up and installed in sequence, and everything installed without errors.  I restarted X and in KDM found where to change the session to enlightenment.

Upon logging in to enlightenment, I saw the "cannot initialize network" error, which is bogus.  The network is fine.  So that's a cosmetic bug.

During the little configuration routine, in the background it picked up iceweasel, gimp, and libreoffice and put them on the "I-bar", a launcher on the panel.  I had the same problem with chromium browser that I had on the VM.  But konsole went on with no problem.  When you run a package in enlightenment, if you right-click on the titlebar of the window, there's an option to put the package on the I-bar by default, and it works for konsole, libreoffice, gimp, and iceweasel, but not for chromium-browser, so I think maybe it is a configuration issue with chromium.

The desktop resolution was set at 1920x1200, and looks great.  I went in to the screen setting and played with it, and found it just as squirrely as on the VM, so I would consider that buggy behavior, although it works if you hold your mouth just right and say a chant to the monkey-god while stretching it.

Otherwise everything is the same as on the VM, except of course that I have the KDE packages on this system instead of Razor-QT.

There's your report DeepDayze!  :)
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline DeepDayze

• User
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Reset comp
« Reply #50 on: 2013/02/05, 21:52:27 »
Maybe that cosmetic bug should be reported so a fix/workaround can be posted for it

As well for that other oddities you found on the physical install as well as in the VM's why not put that into the enlightenment bugtracker to see what comes back :)

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Reset comp
« Reply #51 on: 2013/02/05, 23:11:57 »
I might do that after I work with it a bit more.  I don't wish to expose any more ignorance than absolutely necessary.  :)

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Reset comp
« Reply #52 on: 2013/02/06, 00:58:00 »
I might do that after I work with it a bit more.  I don't wish to expose any more ignorance than absolutely necessary.  :)

Don't blame you...anything else you find just let us know :D

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Reset comp
« Reply #53 on: 2013/02/08, 14:35:06 »
This is a copy of the report I wrote for the siduction community on google +:

E17 report:
I have been working with E17 on my 64-bit Dell E6500 laptop for a few days, basically trying to get familiar with it, and also to resolve the initial problems that I saw. I have installed new themes from e17-stuff.org, configured the "I_Bar" which KDE users would call a task manager widget on the "shelf" which KDE users would call a panel.  All those things work as expected and you can make a beautiful work environment.

After initially installing E17 and going through the configuration procedure for the first login, there were three issues that I thought needed to be fixed, before I would call it a fully satisfactory desktop environment.  Of those three issues, I have fully resolved one of them.  The other two remain unsolved, and probably will not be solved in the near term.  I will describe all three and my attempts to fix them, so anyone else who would like to take a shot can have some information to start with.

1. After login, an error message says:

The freqset binary in the cpufreq module is not owned by root or does not have the setuid bit set.
Please ensure this is the case.
For example: sudo chown root /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/cpufreqlinux-gnu-x86_64-0.17.1/freqset
sudo chmod u+x.a+x /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/cpufreqlinux-gnu-x86_64-0.17.1/freqset

The solution to this is:

# chmod 4711 /usr/lib/enlightentment/modules/cpufreq/linux-gnu-x86_64-0.17.1/freqset

2. After login, an error message says:

Shot error: Cannot initialize network

But the networking service is running just fine.  So the error message is bogus.

I spent quite a bit of time trying some different things to fix this, based on what I could find online.  I changed the network manager from wicd to connman, and I confirmed that the dbus extensions module was loaded.  None of it made any difference.  I found on sourceforge the source code for the shot function, and I can see the line that generates the error -- it results from checking a URL. I ultimately concluded that this is a bug in the software design, and as requested on the sourceforge page, I sent a detailed message to the enlightenment development team.  So, maybe they will change the code, or maybe they think that's the way they want it to work.

3. In the "System" menu, the power off, reboot, hibernate, and sleep items are grayed -- they are not functional for the user.  (Of course, "Log Out" works fine, and returns the user to KDM or Light DM).  I spent a lot of time working on this, and I think the true answer is, it's over my head to fix it.  It would appear to be a user permission problem, or another setuid bit problem.  Google led me to multiple "solutions", on arch forums, in the enlightenment docs/wiki, and elsewhere, but none of them fixed it.  If I had known how many "solutions" I was going to try and fail, I would have made a more detailed list.  But here are things that don't work (but you can find online claims that they do work, including enlightenment documentation):

- modify /etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf to give the user the options

- modify /usr/local/etc/sysactions.conf to give the user the options

- setuid on /usr/bin/enlightenment_sys

- setuid on /usr/lib/enlightenment/utils/enlightenment_sys

I would suspect this is something about Debian file structures and/or system initialization that is beyond my knowledge (most of that is).  The online documentation indicates that /etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf is where this should be controlled, but apparently that file is not being scanned, or the information is not being registered as the enlightenment devs expect.  Reviewing their forum and mailing lists indicates that they would view this as a distro-specific issue and not an issue with their code.

So, I have a good-working and good-looking E17 desktop, with a bogus error message that I can close after login, and the necessity to log out and use KDM to shutdown (or Ctrl-Alt-F1 and root to issue the command).  It's not a bad result.  :)

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #54 on: 2013/02/08, 21:12:15 »
The problems you have may be caused by self building and installing to /opt . I did a clean install of Arch on my laptop and then installed the latest e17 it all works fine but did not look much different to the version in sid. I have since removed Arch and installed siduction nox (very nice thank you devs) and installed sid's e17 version, all we are waiting for now is libeio to be accepted from new into experimental, it has been there a month now !! and all e17 can be installed from experimental with hopefully sid not too long after that. Connman needs Econnman to work in e17.I just use Ceni, works every time.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #55 on: 2013/02/08, 22:12:07 »
No, that is why I build debian packages and installed with dpkg.  There's nothing in /opt except some old teamviewer package.  But, since I could not use apt-get, it is possible that something is not as Debian would expect.

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
« Reply #56 on: 2013/02/09, 03:02:47 »
There should be no difference installing with either dpkg -i or apt-get.  From what I remember, apt-get calls dpkg.  But I do think it is not something Debian would expect.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #57 on: 2013/02/09, 09:37:06 »
The main difference between installing per apt-get or per dpkg is that dpkg does not resolve dependencies. That is why in cases, where those exist, an apt-get -f install is needed.

greetz
devil

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #58 on: 2013/02/10, 00:45:57 »
For step #3, have you tried
ln -s /usr/local/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #59 on: 2013/02/10, 01:29:03 »
Thanks piper!  I tried it, but got the error:  "File exists."