Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] I suggest E-17 version on siduction  (Read 26194 times)

otto

[EN] I suggest E-17 version on siduction
« on: 2012/12/27, 14:08:45 »
:idea:
Dear siduction buddies,
I suggest E-17 version on siduction because the final official release of Enlightment on 21 december, 2012 on E17. Are E-17 already on the repositories? I have used the bodhi that comes with a E-17 version and I found it wonderful and very light.You can view it at http://www.bodhilinux.com/

Quotation:
“Enlightenment News
E17 Release: ZERO
Dec 21, 2012 at 11:59 PM
E17 has been in development for a long time, and there have been a lot of people involved over the years. At this time, the first and final official release of E17, I think it's important to name names and thank everyone who has been involved over the years”

Source: http://enlightenment.org/
 :?:

Creto

RE: I suggest E-17 version on siduction
« Reply #1 on: 2012/12/27, 15:16:45 »
would be really nice to have a graphical environment with this siduction

T+ = Bye

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2012/12/27, 15:34:47 »
It would be good to have an official Siduction version with E17 but the Debian packagers say they are working on a new release and is simple to install from the repros.  I think E17 is probably the most polished of the lightweight desktops, although it is technically described as a WM.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #3 on: 2012/12/27, 18:09:47 »
Well, suggestions are always nice, though someone has to do the work!

greetz
devil

Offline michaaa62

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2012/12/27, 18:22:41 »
Installing E17 is simple in siduction. It is just
Code: [Select]
apt-get install e17Finding some sane setup is really difficult, because you have to limit the 'bling' of the desktop manager to get not distracted or bury essential panels under windows, or switch the desktops unintentionally.

You also have to know the applications you need to get a complete desktop. E17 does not care for KDE or GNOME preloaded libraries, but nevertheless is able to get them 'ready in the background'.

otto

Re: RE: I suggest E-17 version on siduction
« Reply #5 on: 2012/12/27, 18:24:24 »
Quote from: "devil"
Well, suggestions are always nice, though someone has to do the work!

greetz
devil

:D
devil,
I know it's not very tough to buid up the E17. Just type as root the code: "apt-get install e17" But the other advantage it's the distros competition. Only the bodhi linux is free. the other one the elivecd at http://www.elivecd.org/ is a paying distro.Btw, It's only a hint for the future.Perhaps it's not very much difficult to develop the E17 at the siduction.This will be another plus with siduction by offering a ready distro with the E17. This is a kind of suite which will attract many new users to the siduction.Enlightenment is not just a window manager for Linux/X11 and others, but also a whole suite of libraries to help you create beautiful user interfaces with much less work than doing it the old fashioned way and fighting with traditional toolkits, not to mention a traditional window manager. It covers uses from small mobile devices like phones all the way to powerful multi-core desktops (which are the primary development environment).
cheers.
 :lol:

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #6 on: 2012/12/27, 19:46:22 »

Perhaps it's not very much difficult to develop the E17 at the siduction.

That is not even half the job. Someone, preferably more than one person, is needed to maintain it on a steady base, fix when broken, support where needed. Kicking out a new DE is not the problem.

greetz
devil

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #7 on: 2012/12/27, 21:42:59 »
Quote from: "michaaa62"
Installing E17 is simple in siduction. It is just
apt-get install e17Finding some sane setup is really difficult, because you have to limit the 'bling' of the desktop manager to get not distracted or bury essential panels under windows, or switch the desktops unintentionally.

You also have to know the applications you need to get a complete desktop. E17 does not care for KDE or GNOME preloaded libraries, but nevertheless is able to get them 'ready in the background'.

This will not install the newest e17, it will install 0.16.999.70492-2

you would have to do
for I in eina eet evas embryo ecore eio edje efreet e_dbus \
evas_generic_loaders ethumb eeze emotion elementary; do \
  wget http://download.enlightenment.org/releases/$I-1.7.4.tar.gz; \
done
wget http://download.enlightenment.org/releases/enlightenment-0.17.0.tar.gz
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
export CFLAGS="-O3 -fvisibility=hidden -ffast-math"

for I in eina eet evas embryo ecore eio edje efreet e_dbus \
evas_generic_loaders ethumb eeze emotion elementary; do \
  tar zxf $I-1.7.4.tar.gz; \
  cd $I-1.7.4; \
  ./configure --disable-gnutls && make && su; make install; \
  cd ..; \
done
tar zxf enlightenment-0.17.0.tar.gz
cd enlightenment-0.17.0
./configure && make && su; make install; exit
cd ..
as root
ln -s /usr/local/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop

A little different from svn or git, trunk (dev) is different also e_dbus is replaced

Yes, I do have it installed :)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline DeepDayze

• User
RE: Re: RE: I suggest E-17 version on siduction
« Reply #8 on: 2012/12/28, 01:02:03 »
So will the E17 Final land in Sid after the release of Wheezy?

macxi

« Reply #9 on: 2013/01/04, 13:36:52 »
Otto,
I agree with you.
E-17 is a good option for light and beautiful Graphical Environment.It may be a good option for Siduction

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
« Reply #10 on: 2013/01/05, 18:16:42 »
As devil said: Someone has to do the work. A good start would be a E17-settings-package for siduction. But this can only be build by people knowing E17 and are able to maintain it for the next month and years.

We can offer help with this, we have a space on github for siduction, we have the infrastructure to provide the package. So if anybody is willing to do the work: Go for it.
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #11 on: 2013/01/05, 19:45:17 »
Right, and my understanding is, that E17 will be the hardest to preconfigure from all our DEs, due to the many config options it offers. Looking at Bodhi Linux and using their pre-config as a start would be a good idea imho. In the end E17 could be our prettiest DE.

greetz
devil

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2013/01/05, 22:35:58 »
Is not the point of E17  that it so configurable for individual tastes after installation. The standard Debian and Bohdi versions are quite plain. For a Siduction version the Debian ( or Bohdi) defaults with a Siduction wallpaper would be a good starting point.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: RE: Re: RE: I suggest E-17 version on siduction
« Reply #13 on: 2013/01/05, 23:04:41 »
Quote from: "titan"
For a Siduction version the Debian ( or Bohdi) defaults with a Siduction wallpaper would be a good starting point.

I was just looking at Bodhi, and they actually offer SEVEN default profiles!  So, it starts getting complicated right away, on the first screen.

I have always though E16 and E17 were beautiful -- I actually ran e-live for some months back when I was distro hopping in 2007.

I have a couple of platforms and some time available to support testing and debugging, but I'm the farthest thing from a developer, and don't know much about E17 either.  :(
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
Re: RE: Re: RE: I suggest E-17 version on siduction
« Reply #14 on: 2013/01/06, 00:08:06 »
titan: just do it ...
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen