Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] [Resolved] Having trouble completing full restore  (Read 5569 times)

timc

[EN] [Resolved] Having trouble completing full restore
« on: 2014/01/05, 17:16:03 »
I am almost done with repartitioning my disk and trying to restore my Siduction LXDE system from full backups. However, I am having trouble with the very last step, which is booting the restored system. Something is still trying to access the old UUID of the old root partition.

I ran the restore tasks from a Siduction KDE system on another disk partition. Everything was copied to the new partitions, successfully. Then I edited the fstab of the newly restored LXDE system to specify the UUID's of the new partitions. Then I ran grub-install and update-grub on the KDE system. I thought everything should be good to go, but when I try to boot to the restored LXDE system, it fails with an error that the old UUID of the root partition cannot be found (which is and should be correct), then drops me into rescue with the ash shell.

I booted back to the KDE system and closely examined the fstab of the restored system. The old UUID is not in it anywhere. What have I missed and how can I fix it?

Thank you,
Tim
« Last Edit: 2014/01/05, 23:47:19 by timc »

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Having trouble completing full restore
« Reply #1 on: 2014/01/05, 17:51:42 »
cat /boot/grub/device.map
cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

timc

« Reply #2 on: 2014/01/05, 18:22:42 »
The device.map file does not exist.

The grub.cfg is too long to post. Here it is as an attachment:

Tim

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2014/01/05, 22:59:24 »

Tim -- couple of thoughts for you:
I have one system that has no /boot/grub/device.map file, and other systems that have it.  I think it must be generated only under certain conditions, as I would not delete such a system file.

Comparing your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file to a couple of mine, if f2d0e7e0-7f13-4876-8c66-75df4fbaff28 is the correct UUID for the partition where /boot is located, and if hd1/gpt7 is the correct partition, then it's not obvious why it is not booting.

Is there any chance that the BIOS drive order has changed?  That would mess up the booting, for sure.

You said you ran grub-install, but I wonder if you really need to reinstall the grub-pc package from a Live CD/USB environment, and point it at the hd1/gpt7 partition where /boot is located (which must be mounted in the Live environment).

Here is the debian coverage, but it doesn't get very specific on how to reinstall grub to a particular combination of master boot record and OS (or /boot) partition:

http://debian-handbook.info/browse/squeeze/sect.config-bootloader.html
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

timc

Re: [Resolved] Having trouble completing full restore
« Reply #4 on: 2014/01/05, 23:55:43 »
I have marked the thread as Resolved. The problem was not solved, merely bypassed.

As I was trying to boot the restored system, I lost all bootability to anything except CDROM. I thought I had completely screwed things up, so I deleted the partitions my restored LXDE system was on and attempted to reinstall. But I could not even boot the USB stick that the iso is on, even though I had installed from it earlier.

When I finally tracked down the problem that was preventing bootup of anything, it was that my son's new puppy had managed to knock one of my disk drive's power supply from being plugged it. Right in the middle of my troubleshooting. Crazy, but true. Since I had already deleted my restored LXDE system's partitions, I went ahead and reinstalled it from the USB stick.

So, that problem is over. Alas, I can no longer boot the KDE system.  ???

Tim

timc

Re: [Resolved] Having trouble completing full restore
« Reply #5 on: 2014/01/06, 21:31:14 »
... Alas, I can no longer boot the KDE system.  ???

And today I went back to work on the KDE system, and it booted with no problem. I suspect the problem yesterday was still a hangover from that disk drive being unplugged.

Tim