Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] New Linux laptop  (Read 2637 times)

Offline ragupo

• User
[EN] New Linux laptop
« on: 2014/06/28, 22:05:12 »
I need to buy a laptop thats capable of running siduction.
Its main purpose will be running q light controller plus or similar program to control lights and effects in a children's circus.
It will replace an old 24 channel adb tango lighting control desk, since 24 channels are not enough anymore.
I think this is what ill hook it up to: an Enttec dmx usb pro mk2 since its linux compatible.
The laptop will probably also be used for ocassionally browsing the internet, using office programs.
But nothing requiring heavy graphics capabilities.
Our funds are limited, around 400-500 euro. Stability is important.
Any suggestions on what to get, or brands to stay away from?

Offline vilde

• User
Re: New Linux laptop
« Reply #1 on: 2014/06/29, 10:23:51 »
I remember long time ago I got the advice to stick to the professional "lines" of the different brands. For example Lenovo (former IBM) Thinkpad, T*** and X***series, or HP Elitebook. This laptops are  expensive as new but there are quite a lot of used ones on the market. I have used the Thinkpad, T*** or X*** since that, bought them used and they are really stable and last "forever".
For the moment  there are quite a lot of  used Thinkpad T410, T420 with a Intel core 5 or 7 out for sale. Put a ssd hard disk inside, and you will have a fast and very reliable laptop working very good with Linux. ( You can even have two ssd discs inside if you switch the cd/dvd with with a h-d bay.

Offline dieres

• User
Re: New Linux laptop
« Reply #2 on: 2014/06/29, 14:41:39 »
I have an Lenovo G500, cheap(because of no OS to be payed), good keyboard, usb3, pentium M2020. With 4GB Ram december xfce runs
very good.