Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] kmail  (Read 2464 times)

johnlittle001

[EN] kmail
« on: 2014/08/26, 02:04:43 »
My KDE is at version 4.14.0 but my Kmail has been stuck at version 4.4.11 for a long time.  I would really like to be able to use that program because of its feature but in my experience the program is unstable, and much too prone to crashes for use on a production machine.  I understand that there is a thing called "kmail 2" and I am guessing that it is different from what I currently have installed.  If so is there any way I can be my hands on it and use it with my current KDE installation?.

hefee

Re: kmail
« Reply #1 on: 2014/08/26, 10:28:46 »
Well "kmail 2" does not exist - it was a working name for the version after kmail 2 now tey version number is bundeld with kdepim. So the newest version available is kdepim 4.14. In my eyes, we should let kmail 1 (everything before 4.11 is called so) leave behind and look at the new version, that is available at debian sid. The old version that sata recompield for the newest kde version is a very nice gift, but there will be no bugfixes or any improvments - it is a dead hores. I am a very happy kmail user and developer. 

johnlittle001

« Reply #2 on: 2014/08/26, 17:38:53 »
Thanks for the information.  You cleared up the mystery. Until know I didn't realize that my kmail was coming from the kdenext repository and not sid. This morning I deactivated the kdenext repository and then did a apt-get update and then apt-get dist-upgrade and now my Kmail is at version 4.14

belze

« Reply #3 on: 2014/08/26, 17:54:18 »
This morning I deactivated the kdenext repository and then did a apt-get update and then apt-get dist-upgrade and now my Kmail is at version 4.14
you would have get the same result because kdepim 4.14 entered sid in the last hours ;)

Santa

« Reply #4 on: 2014/08/26, 19:18:44 »
Thanks for the information.  You cleared up the mystery. Until know I didn't realize that my kmail was coming from the kdenext repository and not sid. This morning I deactivated the kdenext repository and then did a apt-get update and then apt-get dist-upgrade and now my Kmail is at version 4.14

Well, you shouldn't have done this. See
http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=4888.msg40360#msg40360

We have a custom repository for the new kdepim (which is not safe to dist upgrade now but will be in the next few days).

johnlittle001

« Reply #5 on: 2014/08/26, 19:29:08 »
Thanks for the great work you've been doing Santa.

I've been trying to follow all of this but it is confusing. 

What do you recomend I do now that I'm using the kdepim from the sid repository?  Should I add your custom kdepim repository to my source list and the do a dist-upgrade or should I do something else?

What lines should I add to my source list for the custom repository?

Santa

« Reply #6 on: 2014/08/26, 19:36:01 »
Thanks for the great work you've been doing Santa.

I've been trying to follow all of this but it is confusing. 

What do you recomend I do now that I'm using the kdepim from the sid repository?  Should I add your custom kdepim repository to my source list and the do a dist-upgrade or should I do something else?

What lines should I add to my source list for the custom repository?

Now that you dist-upgraded in such unfortunate day your installation might get broken soon. Just don't dist-upgrade more and wait for instructions and perhaps you will be able to recover your installation.