Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] unclear (de:unübersichtliche) search results  (Read 4464 times)

Offline michaa7

• User
[EN] unclear (de:unübersichtliche) search results
« on: 2014/09/15, 17:42:55 »
I regularly give up instantly reading search results here in the forum. This is caused by the fact that the findings are a list auf *expanded* postings which makes it for me near to completely useless. You (ok, *I*) cannot  browse / skim such an output.

So is there a way to at least optionally limit the search output to titles/subject only? For me in my profile? Please tell me how. Or across the forum serverside? If so, pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase do!

If not, ok, then I have to live with it, but it limits the use of this forum and doesn't recommend the used software. It is too near to useless.

(I am looking for one of my own threads called something like: to boot or not to boot via USB, can't find it)

EDIT:
Found it using google. BTW, maybe it would be a good idea to shut down simple machines search engine and to replace it with Google (which scanns this forum anyway)
« Last Edit: 2014/09/15, 17:58:40 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline ayla

• User
Re: unclear (de:unübersichtliche) search results
« Reply #1 on: 2014/09/15, 18:07:44 »
Hi michaa7,

using "advanced search" with "to boot or not to boot" and "Übereinstimmung aller Wörter" (something like "all words matching" or so) and "Search in topics"?? (nur Betreff der Themen) gives me two results, the second one should be the one your looking for.
I'm often using "advanced search" when the quick search on the main side don't gives me what I like to have.

greets
ayla
« Last Edit: 2014/09/15, 18:14:09 by ayla »

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #2 on: 2014/09/15, 18:17:00 »
hello micha,

did you try to set the searched phrase in quotes (" ")?  3 Results, one is your's.

And by the way,  "to boot or not to boot with USB" as a list of single words is an extremely poor search term.
We really should pick better titles for our postings.

greetings
musca

[Edit]  Kudos to ayla for your quick answer with the same idea, i didn't see it.]
« Last Edit: 2014/09/15, 18:57:03 by musca »
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/09/15, 18:30:32 »
hello micha,

did you try to set the searched phrase in quotes (" ")? 
How should I know that? Thanks for the hint.

And by the way,  "to boot or not to boot with USB" as a list of single words is an extremely poor search term.
We really should pick better titles for our postings.

From a search engine's prospective you are right. But first we want our postings to be consumed by human beings. And they still parse it their way ;-) .

Thanks to both of you.

EDIT:
Yes, advanced search is what I should have used from the beginning. I was wrong.
There was no need for "", boot usb AND michaa7 in the "User" field did the trick.

« Last Edit: 2014/09/15, 18:36:02 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake