Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Fontrendering in KDE (new install)  (Read 3138 times)

Offline mcdaniels

• User
[EN] Fontrendering in KDE (new install)
« on: 2023/09/29, 08:15:57 »
Hello,
at first I have to say thank you a lot for this distribution. Great work! :-)

I installed siduction yesterday (I also used sidux and normally use Debian stable). After the very fast and smooth install-process, I rebooted my PC.

Looking at my 34" TFT screen I wondered a bit, that the fontrendering was some kind of ugly / blurry.  This problem pops up on me the first time in 2015, but (with todays distributions) never appeared again (till yesterday).

Then I played around with the font-hinting and antialiasing settings, the DPI and so on.

Nothing I did, solved my problem. The fonts look blurry. It is some kind of "you feel to not see sharp and need glasses". Btw. I don't need them, because font-rendering is fine on Debian 12, or Opensuse Tumbleweed (all out of the box). ;-)

Do you have any idea, what "siduction - kde" is doing different to e.g. Debian 12 when it comes down to font-rendering (I assume there should be no difference?)

Graphicscard = AMD Radeon RX 7970, opensource-driver
Resolution  = 3440 x 1440, 144Hz
DPI Settings (Font) = Standard - it also makes no difference, when setting the DPI to the DPI of the Monitorspecs

Thanks a lot!

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Fontrendering in KDE (new install)
« Reply #1 on: 2023/09/29, 08:27:40 »
Hi and welcome (back) to siduction. I don't use a display of that size, I prefer a multi-monitor setup, so I cannot reproduce your problem. My suggestion, since you already twisted the relevant knobs, would be to try out Wayland and see if that makes a difference.

Offline mcdaniels

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2023/09/29, 08:39:44 »
Hi @devil,
thanks for the fast reply. Yeah, looking at it later, multi-monitor would be the better choice (also for me), but now I have to deal with it :-)

I'll give it a try in the afternoon. (Wayland)

I am also thinking of, whether I can just copy the font-config form eg. debian 12 to siduction.

I'll play around a little bit.
« Last Edit: 2023/09/29, 08:43:04 by mcdaniels »

Offline whistler_mb

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2023/09/29, 11:14:09 »
Hi @mcdaniels,

I use a 38 inch monitor and I can't see any blurry fonts on mine. I also use an identical PC with two monitors. Here the fonts look the same as on the other PC.

Offline mcdaniels

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2023/09/29, 12:06:09 »
Hi @mcdaniels,

I use a 38 inch monitor and I can't see any blurry fonts on mine. I also use an identical PC with two monitors. Here the fonts look the same as on the other PC.

Thanks for the information. I will check out things this afternoon and report back.

Offline PhillyBass

• User
    • Flint Weller
« Reply #5 on: 2023/09/30, 05:13:19 »
I use a 43" 4K television monitor and the fonts look perfect. 
One thing to consider is that some monitors use sub-pixel organization that is different than standard RGB, and having the wrong setting will cause blurry fonts.  https://www.grc.com/ctwhat.htm
What is your monitor model?  Can you research what the sub-pixel configuration is?

Offline mcdaniels

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2023/09/30, 18:13:38 »
Hi,
in fact, I was using wayland (what I did not recognize at the first start), switched to X11 now and getting better fonts. Only thing is I have to use fixed DPI (96). If I don't use it I get very very big fonts (I am not using scaling)

Thanks for your support.

Offline unklarer

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2023/10/01, 16:59:41 »
maybe

Edge smoothing ---> Subpixel (LCDs)
Hinting ---> Slight
Order subpixel: RGB

-------------------------------------
Schriftdarstellung verbessern

Kantenglättung ---> Subpixel (LCDs)
Hinting ---> Gering  (engl.Slight)
Reihenfolge Subpixel: RGB

Offline mcdaniels

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2023/10/01, 20:25:36 »
maybe

Edge smoothing ---> Subpixel (LCDs)
Hinting ---> Slight
Order subpixel: RGB

-------------------------------------
Schriftdarstellung verbessern

Kantenglättung ---> Subpixel (LCDs)
Hinting ---> Gering  (engl.Slight)
Reihenfolge Subpixel: RGB

Thanks, but I tried all of these settings ;-)