Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Any recommendations for a fully supported siduction laptop?  (Read 3534 times)

epoch32

Greetings!
I need recommendations for a sub $1000 laptop that has dedicated graphics and, preferably one that's mostly fully compatible with bleeding edge kernels.
It also should have at least a quad-core cpu, expandable memory and either decent nvidia or amd graphics and good cooling. Also a nice non-locked down uefi is a plus but optional.

Offline unklarer

• User
Re: Any recommendations for a fully supported siduction laptop?
« Reply #1 on: 2019/07/01, 18:36:50 »
Do you have your life under control or do you always miss the mark?   ;D

Offline axt

• User
    • axebase.net
« Reply #2 on: 2019/07/01, 18:59:36 »
Quote from: epoch32
laptop (...) dedicated graphics (...)  good cooling

They're mutually exclusive.

Quote from: epoch32
dedicated graphics (...) compatible with bleeding edge kernels.

They're mutually exclusive (at least with Nvidia).

You should consider what you really want and whether siduction is the right distribution for it.

epoch32

« Reply #3 on: 2019/07/02, 07:32:12 »
I want siduction because well, I like debian and siduction seems like a nice sid based distro as it has updated kernels and well, the main stuff being based on debians main repos(except for kernels and fixes) I have seen laptops with gtx 1650 gpus and quadcore i5 and i7s which are my baseline target but i'm concerned about the uefi on these systems and if the critical stuff like power management is supported on recent kernels.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: 2019/07/02, 10:37:34 »
https://itsfoss.com/get-linux-laptops/

Personally, I would start my research with System 76.  But I don't know that $1,000 is enough to satisfy your requirements.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO