Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Install Problems (Solved)  (Read 4143 times)

Offline lesdelc

• User
[EN] Install Problems (Solved)
« on: 2021/06/14, 16:33:29 »
I posted this message a few days ago. I was a Arch user of many years and loved the challenge of a rolling release so I accept Debian Siduction as my next rolling release.

As previously indicated I installed on Gnome Boxes and tested Siduction for a few days. Today I dug out an old laptop and installed. What? No problems. The install went great without any problems! Based on this install with my old laptop I will now install on another laptop which is a ThinkPad T480 which I use daily. I am happy with this rolling release.  8)

Previous message:
Thanks for resurrecting Debian Siduction  :) I had problems installing Siduction 2021.1.0 on my ThinkPad T480 laptop. I installed on Ubuntu with Gnome Boxes. After several attempts I now have Siduction Cinnamon installed The Calamares installer froze at 35% every time. I tried a reboot and it did install.

My second install was on Linux Mint with Gnome Boxes. The install happened with no problems.

Once I am satisfied I will remove Ubuntu and install Siduction on my ThinkPad T480.

-lesdelc-
« Last Edit: 2021/06/15, 17:02:49 by lesdelc »

Offline unklarer

• User
« Last Edit: 2021/06/14, 19:44:38 by unklarer »

Offline lesdelc

• User
Re: Install Problems
« Reply #2 on: 2021/06/14, 20:56:00 »
Appreciate the reply. As I write this I am down loading https://news.siduction.org/2021/02/siduction-2021-1-1-c-blues-point-release/

I will try this version and hopefully it will install without problems.
-lesdelc-

Offline axt

• User
    • axebase.net
« Reply #3 on: 2021/06/14, 23:36:29 »
Quote from: lesdelc
I installed on a Virtual box for Ubuntu called Boxes.

VirtualBox is VirtualBox, Gnome Boxes (I think you mean that) is Gnome Boxes - 2 different programs.

Gnome Boxes isn't the greatest virtualization solution.

Offline sunrat

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2021/06/15, 02:04:04 »
Quote from: lesdelc
I installed on a Virtual box for Ubuntu called Boxes.

VirtualBox is VirtualBox, Gnome Boxes (I think you mean that) is Gnome Boxes - 2 different programs.

Gnome Boxes isn't the greatest virtualization solution.

VirtualBox (the Oracle application) is not the greatest virtualization solution either. I use and recommend KVM/QEMU.

Offline lesdelc

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2021/06/15, 04:17:51 »
I agree with your comment Virtualbox is not the best virtualisation program. I have found Gnome Boxes to be the best solution. I have used KVM/QEMU and found it ok.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #6 on: 2021/06/15, 09:07:55 »
To be honest, I would not rely on boxes. Tried it several times and was not too happy.

Offline lesdelc

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2021/06/15, 13:34:15 »
I have used Gnome Boxes since changing from Arch a few years ago and it has worked flawlessly. Debian Siduction installed under Gnome Boxes with a few problems with Calamares. Does the install problem come from Dosfstools 4.12? I have used Calamares on other installs and it works great. However, I am now satisfied with the Siduction install and will continue to work with it for the next few weeks. Thanks again, I look forward to further upgrades.
-lesdelc-

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Install Problems (Solved)
« Reply #8 on: 2021/06/15, 20:45:46 »
If you used siduction 2021.1, Dosfstools might have been the culprit. Usually Calamares has no problems with siduction. But all is well that ends well. Enjoy siduction.

Offline johhan

Re: Install Problems (Solved)
« Reply #9 on: 2023/06/26, 12:48:41 »
I agree with your comment Virtualbox is not the best virtualisation program.