Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  speaker-test not working but VLC and chrome play audio just fine  (Read 4510 times)

geklmintendont

I'm having a very strange issue.I was trying to run kega fusion when I noticed there was no sound! I kept trying to fix it when I realized it might be something to do with my audio drivers.
SO I went and checked out alsa settings and found to my surprise that speaker-test doesn't work at all! No sound!

I can play music over VLC and watch youtube videos on chrome and firefox, but Kega-fusion and speaker-test both play no audio!
Keep in mind that kega fusion is an i386 package (and obviously I'm running a 64 bit OS) so maybe there's an architecture issue going on?
Then again, isn't speaker-test 64 bit?
Please, help!
DETAILS:
output of aplay -l:
Code: [Select]

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 0/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
I want to output sound out of my HDMI port on my GPU, not headphones, etc.
Nvidia GTX 960i7 670032 GB of RAMrear and front headphone ports exist but only rear mic port is in use (Strangely enough, it also does not work)

« Last Edit: 2018/11/03, 21:42:43 by geklmintendont »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User

geklmintendont

I did that and that fixed pulseaudio (I can now listen to music through VLC and chrome and firefox) but kega-fusion and speaker-test are broken

geklmintendont

Is there some way I could fix the broken symlinks? I really want sound in emulators

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
Maybe a downgrade of libasound2-plugins and corresponding packages to testing helps, maybe!
but be careful, read what wants to go if there are some packages that wants to go!

geklmintendont

How do I downgrade a package?

geklmintendont

What do I type in to downgrade libasound plugins (or whatever) to the previous version?

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
Add the testing sources and install from there.
But if you don't know how to do, you should not do this. Than it is better to wait till it is fixed, be patient.
I think this is the best solution, because there are :1386 packages involved too and there it starts to get ......

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
basicaly:
apt install -t testing libasound2/testing libasound2-plugins/testing libasound2-data/testing 

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
delete devil beat me to it
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

geklmintendont

root@gek-pc:/etc/alsa/conf.d/broken_sym_links# apt install -t testing libasound2/testing libasound2-plugins/testing libasound2-data/testingReading package lists... Done
E: The value 'testing' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources
root@gek-pc:/etc/alsa/conf.d/broken_sym_links#
that's what happens on my machine

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
manually put testing in sources  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list

apt update; apt install -t testing libasound2/testing libasound2-plugins/testing libasound2-data/testing
if using multiarch, especially with anything wine, these will remove

libasound2:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libopenal1:i386 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 libsndio7.0:i386 winetricks wine-staging wine-staging-i386:i386 winehq-staging

your best bet would be   mv /etc/alsa/conf.d{,_bak}   reboot

« Last Edit: 2018/11/03, 23:32:49 by piper »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

geklmintendont

so this is what the line looks likedeb        http://deb.debian.org/debian/  testing main contrib non-free?

geklmintendont

the downgrade is working I think... I will reboot my computer and see if it is fixed!

geklmintendont

I have rebooted and yes, it sort of fixed the problem, but kega-fusion still doesn't work
I am loading my backup
let this be a lesson- ALWAYS keep clones of your ENTIRE linux install. You NEVER KNOW when apt full-upgrade will just RANDOMLY BREAK your favorite packages