Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Excessive Pre-Installed Software  (Read 1990 times)

SamwiseFilmore

Excessive Pre-Installed Software
« on: 2017/05/09, 04:02:11 »
I like everything about Siduction. Except one thing. It seems to me that there is an awful lot of pre-installed software on the graphical images. I'm wondering if there's anything I could do about this. Seems to me that there are about 3 different options.

1: Grab the nox image and build a graphical OS on top of that. That would pretty much give me all the control I could ever need, although it would be a crap ton of downloading...
2: Build a graphical iso of the OS myself, with only the stuff on it that I want. This seems like the hackiest way of doing things, and the thing I'd like to try the least.
3: You guys at the distro could package less stuff. This would take longest for me, be a pain for you guys, just yeah...

Any advice on this? I think I see a pretty clear winner, but I'd like to make sure that that is a viable option before I start messing with all that download...
Thanks for any responses.
~Sam

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Excessive Pre-Installed Software
« Reply #1 on: 2017/05/09, 07:39:12 »
You could also go with Xorg, which at least has the X-stack preinstalled.

Offline tommy2

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2017/05/09, 08:14:58 »
I believe the dev's at siduction have done their best to give the mass's a great choice of selection in the manner in which they offer this distribution. They have followed on the tradition of linux, the freedom to do what you want, trash those programs that you don't like or use. It's a simple choice start with whichever you like and add or subtract form there!!!  ;)

Tommy2

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2017/05/09, 12:28:12 »
Quote from: SamwiseFilmore
It seems to me that there is an awful lot of pre-installed software on the graphical images.

I call that a "feature".   ;D
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #4 on: 2017/05/09, 14:38:58 »
You can also make a script to remove the stuff you don't want.

I build my own iso based on kde (almost stock with my stuff) and another one with budgie-desktop (noX) both with pyfll, but I also build stock to test install, fromiso, stick, and in general to see if it works.

When I install stock, sure, their are many packages I don't want or use, but, that is my preference, what I feel is my bloat, are others treasure :)

I suck at scripts, but it works and I am learning

7)
         echo ""
         say ".. remove packages .."
            apt remove --purge -y akregator kamoso kppp krdc xserver-xorg-video-cirrus xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-r128 xserver-xorg-video-trident blogilo kmail kleopatra kde-config-touchpad juk dragonplayer kaddressbook korganizer knotes btrfs-tools gamin jfsutils reiserfsprogs xfsprogs bluetooth lvm2 mdadm pulseaudio-module-bluetooth smtube vokoscreen pppconfig pppoeconf weechat-curses weechat-core weechat-scripts weechat-plugins wvdial printer-driver-cjet printer-driver-c2050 printer-driver-escpr printer-driver-foo2zjs printer-driver-min12xxw printer-driver-pnm2ppa hplip printer-driver-gutenprint printer-driver-splix zim xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-vmware xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-qxl xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon byobu mc memtest86+ bluedevil converseen digikam kdeaccessibility kdegraphics kdemultimedia kdenetwork kdenetwork-filesharing kdepim kdepim-addons kdetoys kdeutils kipi-plugins kompare krusader ktorrent network-manager-openconnect network-manager-openvpn network-manager-pptp network-manager-vpnc okteta plasma-mediacenter firefox firefox-l10n-de firefox-l10n-en-gb firefox-l10n-it firefox-l10n-pl firefox-l10n-pt-br firefox-l10n-ro kontact kopete firmware-amd-graphics firmware-atheros firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43legacy-installer firmware-bnx2 firmware-bnx2x firmware-brcm80211 firmware-crystalhd firmware-intelwimax firmware-iwlwifi firmware-libertas firmware-myricom firmware-netxen firmware-qlogic firmware-ti-connectivity firmware-zd1211 kaffeine gwenview virt-viewer dconf-editor digikam 
            say ".. apt update .."
            apt update

echo ""
         echo "stock iso packages removed!"
         exit
         ;;

I think the team has done a good job all around for anyone to use siduction out of the box with the right packages at default.

This is linux, add/remove is a users choice and is easy to do.

« Last Edit: 2017/05/09, 14:45:30 by piper »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline Lanzi

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2017/05/10, 14:31:24 »
It doesn't really matter to me if I have 500MB more of preinstalled packages. Thats only peanuts I pay for a stable and very usable System.

The system is the smallest amount of Data on my system. 10-15 rawfotos have 500MB as well.
On a good day, I shoot 300-400 photos.