Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Linus not a leading user of technology  (Read 5252 times)

Offline ralul

• User
[EN] Linus not a leading user of technology
« on: 2013/09/11, 12:00:43 »
Linus Torvalds had a breakdown of his harddrive which caused loss of data for him. Therefore he suspended linux-3.12rc1 development:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ1ODY

He obviously didn't do
- backups
- sync with his laptop
- raid1 or raid5

The last of it (raid5) I would have thought a leading figure of software development could use ...
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline spacepenguin

• User
    • spacepenguin.de
Linus not a leading user of technology
« Reply #1 on: 2013/09/11, 12:38:03 »
Guess what, he seems to be human after all... ;)
Susan | Hardware: SysProfile
Music-Profile: http://www.last.fm/de/user/spacepengu

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2013/09/15, 22:42:47 »
spacepenguin, you're right. And ralul - real men don't do backups :)
But seriously - ok, a few mails are lost, don't know why as mails should be in a mail account, eventuall some hours of work are lost. and you have to throw in a new drive.

The idea is to use a ssd raid system - but this is nuts if you have a laptop with only one hdd-bay or with a crippled down special ssd. So sometimes you have to trust that things just work and nothing bad happend.

And if bad things happend - there is the chance to complain about the programmer/manufacturer/bad luck/(fill something in). It can be the right way to use a computer like a simple user and claim that the hardware should not be that faulty - maybe it change somewhat for the normal user. :)
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline ralul

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2013/09/16, 10:49:35 »
@agaida, in another forum they talked about it and that ssd-harddisks mostly go down exaclty when they would announce they break (number of times they can be overwritten).  And that announcement Linus ignored appearently also :)
experiencing siduction runs better than my gentoo makes me know I know nothing

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
RE: Linus not a leading user of technology
« Reply #4 on: 2013/09/16, 13:26:18 »
I am not sold on ssd-harddisks, I am not convinced that they are reliable for a production machine, maybe in time, but, I don't see one in my machine(s) anytime soon.

Hopefully, someday, things will change.
flame on ! ;)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline dieres

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2013/09/16, 13:43:42 »
I like the speed of ssd. And Data have to be backed up. So why should'nt I use ssd and have fun?

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #6 on: 2013/09/16, 13:45:11 »
I have a OCZ RevoDrive 120GB SSD (a PCI bus SSD) that has been running 24/7 since late 2010.  It uses ext4, with commit=120.  I run fstrim on it once every few months.  I suppose now if I write it is running trouble-free, it will die on me, but it's almost 3 years old with no issues. I also have 2 OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs in laptops, but their duty cycle is not so intense so they should last the life of the rest of the hardware.  I'm definitely a fan of SSDs for running the OS, but give me a big hdd or RAID array of hdds, or multi-drive BTRFS on hdds for saving my data.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline agaida

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2013/09/16, 21:05:49 »
The UNIX-HATERS Handbook: http://web.mit.edu/~simsong/www/ugh.pdf

The File System ............................................ .......261
Sure It Corrupts Your Files,
But Look How Fast It Is!

It's  the same for SSDs - the fastest and funniest way to shredder datas. And how fast it is :twisted:
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: RE: Linus not a leading user of technology
« Reply #8 on: 2013/09/16, 22:44:16 »
Quote from: "agaida"
... the fastest and funniest way to shredder datas. And how fast it is :twisted:

True -- in general, there is nothing like a computer for speed of data destruction.

But, I think the funny part is only when it is your data that is screwed up, not mine!    :twisted:
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2013/09/17, 00:12:13 »
The fastet and funniest way to shredder data is ...  spitting a mouthful of Coke on my laptop...

dibl: YMMD :D

greets
ayla (a fan of SSD and backups)

Offline agaida

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2013/09/17, 00:46:29 »
@dibl: i tried that with a new Samsung 840 Pro some weeks ago: programming a little bit, commit the changes, suspend to ram.

Next day (6 hours later) the machine don't wake up - the system drive was gone completely :twisted: - not to bad, it was only the system, not the datas. Amazons react nice, no repair, no change, just send the broken device back - and money back- now i have a samsung 840 pro and a ocz vector in the system. And i reactivated some mechanical drives, build a raid 1 and rsync booth ssds to the raid

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: RE: Linus not a leading user of technology
« Reply #11 on: 2013/09/17, 13:51:53 »
My most valuable data, representing 20 years of genealogy research, is on a Win 7 VM, running on the big SSD, along with the software tools needed to use it and build the associated website.  I back up that entire VM (37GB) to two different places, about once per month.  And I back up the database itself every day that I work on it.  We all know what the probability of a crash with data loss is -- 100.0%.  The only thing we don't know is, the date and time of the crash.  :)

@agaida, I have been an Amazon customer since the days when they only sold books -- middle 1990s.  I should have bought their stock!   :lol:

Offline der_bud

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: Linus not a leading user of technology
« Reply #12 on: 2013/09/19, 16:45:38 »
Quote from: "http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds"
"Only wimps use tape backup: real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it
Torvalds, Linus (1996-07-20). Post. linux.dev.kernel newsgroup."
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline agaida

• User
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linus not a leading user of technology
« Reply #13 on: 2013/09/19, 22:05:28 »
der_bud: das war bevor Linus sich an git machte - sonst full ack. Negativ: Man muss committed haben :D