Siduction Forum > Ideas & Improvements

[EN] suggestion of inclusion of uemacs

(1/3) > >>

demailly:

Siduction ISO's presently do not contain emacs nor any emacs clone. I know that they have nano and vim, but in case installation has issues and internet connectivity is not yet obtained, it can be useful to be able to edit files easily. People who are wired with emacs key bindings might  feel more comfortable with an emacs clone. Linus Torvalds maintains a very lightweight microemacs version that is UTF8 aware and has enough functionality for basic editing. It is a bit strange than no debian package seems to be readily available. Here is one that I made.

To obtain a valid debian source package, use the above 2 attachements xaa.zip, xab.zip and type
unzip xaa.zip
unzip xab.zip
cat xaa xab > uemacs-4.0.15-lt.tar.bz2

melmarker:
No, we will not integrate another operating system into siduction - really. No.

demailly:
I don't want to argue for an admittedly very minor and inessential suggestion, but uemacs is used by Linus precisely because it is _not_ an operating system, in sharp contrast with GNU emacs ...

piper:
One should ask

Is Linus using siduction?

I don't want to have a emacs debate, things will get nasty :P :P :P

Next, they want to call it

GNU/siduction

demailly:
Linus claimed on several occasions that he was using Fedora on his computers and laptops, under GNOME lastly. I just checked that Fedora does _not_ provide Linus' uemacs editor, so maybe that would be a small encouragement to him to switch to siduction (and/or to somehow dedicate the next release to him) ! Concerning uemacs itself, he explained that one of its minor merits is to offer by default the kernel coding style indentation, and later joked :
"I really should just learn another editor, rather than continue to polish this turd."
Apparently he didn't, since the last git update is from 2018 ! Cf.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/editors/uemacs/uemacs.git/commit/?id=fa00fe882f719351fdf7a4c4100baf4f3eab4d61
However, I certainly don't want to initiate a new war with or against the GNU people!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version