Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] sse2 instruction set in QtWebKit 2.3 problem  (Read 2132 times)

gramatik

[EN] sse2 instruction set in QtWebKit 2.3 problem
« on: 2013/12/01, 13:42:44 »
 Since the last dist-upgrade couple of days ago, all of the QtWebКit based Web browsers installed on my system (namely: Qupzilla, rekonq and Konqueror) started crashing on their startup with Illegal instruction notice.

After some research and stumbling upon this link https://github.com/QupZilla/qupzilla/issues/899 and several other links refering to the same issue I began to strongly doubt that the culprit is QtWebKit 2.3 which is compiled with sse2 instruction set forced (or is it?) while my CPU, which is AMD Athlon XP 2600+, doesn’t support it. I must say that I also tried to compile QtWebKit myself to test this theory, but after 5 hours of compiling the process failed and I had no time since then to investigate that one as well. Also, similar inconvenience pestered me as well with flash player which refused to work until I replaced it with a library that was stripped of sse2 instruction set.

So, I would appreciate if someone can verify if QtWebKit libraries from Siduction’s libraries were compiled with sse2 set forced and if that is the case, would it be possible to precompile them with this instruction set disabled or set to optional for i386, so people with ancient CPUs can enjoy bleeding edge software as well? :)

Thanks in advance!