Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Opera not playing media  (Read 3548 times)

Offline titan

• User
Opera not playing media
« on: 2017/08/02, 18:11:21 »
I have been using Opera for a couple of months after many years with Iceweasel/Firefox and I like it a lot but one problem I can't find a fix for it that it won't play some media in Twitter, Firefox and Chrome both play the same media. Various suggestions on the net refer to Chrome multimedia codecs but no joy. All suggestions welcome.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: Opera not playing media
« Reply #1 on: 2017/08/02, 18:45:33 »
I don't use the browser but does this help (ignore if you tried)

Code: [Select]
apt install pepperflashplugin-nonfree browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash
Not sure exactly what you mean by "Chrome multimedia codecs"

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chrome+multimedia+codecs
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2017/08/02, 21:38:29 »
https://labs.gwendragon.de/blog/Web/Browser/Vivaldi/vivaldi-debian-install-libffmpeg

German, but partly EN.

Solves your chrome multimedia codecs problem, may be. It *is* the codec you need, but I don't know whether it will be installed the way it needs to be installed for Opera, too. Ask Gwendragon if necessary (she speaks EN).

BTW: give Vivaldi a try (made by the original Opera team)
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2017/08/02, 21:53:00 »
Thanks for the replies, I didn't think it was a Flash problem and couldn't understand with libffmpeg already installed and working OK with Chromium and Firefox why Opera didn't work, now I know and will just leave things as they are although I may take a look at Vivaldi.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2017/08/03, 14:45:47 »
Installed and tried Vivaldi looks OK but is it any better than Opera ? Still won't play some Twitter  media.

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2017/08/03, 15:15:14 »
Installed and tried Vivaldi looks OK but is it any better than Opera ?

It still is work in heavy progress, only one year old! It's on you to decide how good it is for you.

Still won't play some Twitter  media.

Did you install install the codes mentioned in my first post? Use the script, it is straightforward.
But some videos need *third party* cookies to be enabled.

Best place if any problems: http://forum.vivaldi.net

They have a common and a linux section, and various languages subforums.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2017/08/03, 16:38:37 »

Did you install install the codes mentioned in my first post? Use the script, it is straightforward.
But some videos need *third party* cookies to be enabled.

But why do I need to install "third party"  cookies when Firefox and Chromium from official Debian repros play this media

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2017/08/03, 17:25:28 »

But why do I need to install "third party"  cookies when Firefox and Chromium from official Debian repros play this media

A) cookie=!codec (if you, for privacy reasons, do not accept third party ****cookies**** in Vivaldi's settings msnbc.com videos won't play, for example.)

B) FF and Chromium use *system* codecs, Vivaldi (Opera and Chrome, too) need special versions which are not in the Debian repos. This is why you need to run the script. The codecs installed via this script are not installed systemwide but only available to Vivaldi! Search and ask in the Vivaldi forum if necessary.
« Last Edit: 2017/08/03, 17:29:36 by michaa7 »

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2017/08/03, 18:30:58 »

A) cookie=!codec (if you, for privacy reasons, do not accept third party ****cookies**** in Vivaldi's settings msnbc.com videos won't play, for example.)

B) FF and Chromium use *system* codecs, Vivaldi (Opera and Chrome, too) need special versions which are not in the Debian repos. This is why you need to run the script. The codecs installed via this script are not installed systemwide but only available to Vivaldi! Search and ask in the Vivaldi forum if necessary.

Ok thanks I now understand, the default for Opera is accept cookies so I don't think that was an issue, as for the codecs, I don't think I will bother, although if Opera and Vivaldi want to attract Linux users they would be better giving basic functionality rather than dozens of options never used by most users.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2017/08/04, 18:00:43 »
I may have been a little premature dismissing Vivaldi. The script suggested upthread does not work with Opera or Vivaldi but   ./latest-proprietary-media.sh  from here   https://gist.github.com/ruario/bec42d156d30affef655   works fine with Vivaldi allowing all media to play on Twitter.

Having spent an hour configuring Vivaldi I think I will give run for a few weeks. Some features I like are it allows you to replace the standard bookmarks bar with an imported one also set up new tab with any page not seen that in other browsers without add ons.

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2017/08/05, 12:46:42 »
I may have been a little premature dismissing Vivaldi. The script suggested upthread does not work with Opera or Vivaldi but 

Sure it does, at least for the vivaldi browser. Tried it this moment.
# ./vivaldi-libffmpeg-install-1-1-4.sh
Anyway, best place for getting help is Vivaldis forum.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2017/08/05, 13:00:08 »
I may have been a little premature dismissing Vivaldi. The script suggested upthread does not work with Opera or Vivaldi but 

Sure it does, at least for the vivaldi browser. Tried it this moment.
Anyway, best place for getting help is Vivaldis forum.

Your first link provided two options I used the   Neueste Version: vivaldi-libffmpeg-install.sh  which didn't work for me.

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2017/08/05, 13:52:07 »
did you make the script executable?

(BTW: "didn't work for me" isn't a meaningfull description of what did and didn't happen after you did whatever)

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2017/08/05, 15:40:30 »
did you make the script executable?

(BTW: "didn't work for me" isn't a meaningfull description of what did and didn't happen after you did whatever)

I had made the script executable this is what I get running it. Incidentally it looks like you were running the script as root, I thought it was meant to be as user.

[/code]
ian@sid:~/vivaldi$ sh ./vivaldi-libffmpeg-install.sh
./vivaldi-libffmpeg-install.sh: 33: ./vivaldi-libffmpeg-install.sh: function: not found

vivaldi-ffmpeg-install v.1.1.5 (build 2017-04-11)

Adds libffmpeg.so for Vivaldi installation on system.

I found the alternative script which does work in the same thread on the Vivaldi forum as the one above. It does not work with Opera.

Regarding "didn't work for me" it was just a statement of fact I didn't add any details as I had found an alternative script which did work for me and allow playing of media on Twitter, well in Vivaldi not Opera

Offline dion

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2017/10/27, 16:58:01 »
The solution provided here worked for me for Opera:

https://solus-project.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1004#p23488

You have to repeat this with every update of Opera however.