Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [DE] system failed to start due to systemd upgrade!  (Read 2884 times)

Offline michaa7

• User
[DE] Re: system failed to start due to systemd upgrade!
« Reply #135 on: Today at 16:52:35 »
It looks to me like the answer is "YES", for Debian Linux.

thanks dibl, especially for the two links on which your answer seems to be based upon. What's written there seams exhaustive and -in short- confirms that
A) fstab entry for /tmp *is* unneccessary for modern OS and modern SSDs since 2012
B) in 2012 /tmp mount to tmpfs was considered a hack usefull only if you knew what you did and why exactly you did it.

So the summery, at least for me, now is:

- The fstab entry was not the cause of the problem, but if it was nontheless, delete it ... you don't need it.
- It this entry is there and you don't know what to do with it because there is no problem ... throw dice and act accordingly  ;D
- The ones hit by the broken systemd link now know via this thread how to repair their system. All the others are fine now because the newer systemd postinstall scripts checks for the existens of the broken link and delete it.

I assume this catches the state of the problem. If not ... correct me with a better version.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Online ro_sid

• User
Re: system failed to start due to systemd upgrade!
« Reply #136 on: Today at 20:22:39 »
[...]
This is also very interesting (to me) and relevant to our subject:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/06/msg00311.html
With all these "old" arguments, tmp.mount must be a really bad idea :), as it accomplishes just that.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: system failed to start due to systemd upgrade!
« Reply #137 on: Today at 20:36:20 »

With all these "old" arguments, tmp.mount must be a really bad idea :), as it accomplishes just that.

:D   Apparently, Serge lost the vote!
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar