Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] (FIXED not Solved) Grub will not find win installation after new install  (Read 5034 times)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
[EN] Re: Grub will not find win installation after new install
« Reply #15 on: 2018/01/05, 18:18:41 »
that means that windows will only be found _and_ can only start in legacy mode - so i would suggest to switch to "legacy first" and modify the system that way
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline vilde

• User
Re: Grub will not find win installation after new install
« Reply #16 on: 2018/01/05, 18:28:40 »
that means that windows will only be found _and_ can only start in legacy mode - so i would suggest to switch to "legacy first" and modify the system that way
Yes, I did change to only UEFI just to test. But can it not be "Both" as it has been before?

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #17 on: 2018/01/05, 18:38:50 »
the problem is that the stick with that you can fix the installation must be started in legacy mode - and that means that you will run both linux and windows in legacy
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #18 on: 2018/01/05, 18:47:58 »
the problem is that the stick with that you can fix the installation must be started in legacy mode - and that means that you will run both linux and windows in legacy

So would this be a solution?

Boot with a linux-usb stick that boots in legacy mode. Checkroot in to my installed siduction and reinstall Grub?

Offline vilde

• User
I have fixed the issue ie, it's not solved really. Couldn't find a solution to start legacy win from uefi grub.

I did a new win install with win  uefi.

Then win allways started first and I had to use "f12" to start grub and siduction, the option in bios to choose boot order is gone.  After update-grub , grub found my win install but win started anyway first on boot.

I tried to reinstall grub on siduction disc and yes now grub is starting when starting computer and I can use it as I want, multoboot with grub.

Offline Geier0815

• User
You solved your problem, not only fixed it. There is no way to use uefi and legay os the same time with the same setting in bios/uefi.
Wenn Windows die Lösung ist...
kann ich dann bitte das Problem zurück haben?