Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [URGENT] Plasma 5 becoming the default for siduction soon  (Read 29234 times)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: [URGENT] Plasma 5 becoming the default for siduction soon
« Reply #45 on: 2015/07/05, 00:30:05 »
Dann stell das mal im Greeter um - der Fall ist wirklich nicht weit hergeholt, wir haben einen gemischtsprachigen Haushalt

Edit: Noch schicker wird es, wenn wie bei uns die Lokalisierung mal abḱackt - das hat änderbar zu sein, ansonsten ist dieses Teil nicht reif für den täglichen distributionsweiten Einsatz.
Edit zum Edit: Lassen wir sddm erst mal in debian ankommen und warten die ersten begeisternden Fehlermeldungen ab.
« Last Edit: 2015/07/05, 00:35:59 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #46 on: 2015/07/05, 00:49:22 »
Quote from: jure
yes I know - but
Code: [Select]ls -l /usr/bin/system*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  163224 Jun  6 21:55 /usr/bin/systemadm and it works

I believe everyone should have this

Code: [Select]
piper@x1:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/system*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  163224 Jun  6 15:55 /usr/bin/systemadm
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1409008 Jun 28 06:23 /usr/bin/systemd-analyze
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   35328 Jun 28 06:23 /usr/bin/systemd-cat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  281808 Jun 28 06:23 /usr/bin/systemd-cgls
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   68208 Jun 28 06:23 /usr/bin/systemd-cgtop
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   64088 Jun 28 06:23 /usr/bin/systemd-delta
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   35320 Jun 28 06:23 /usr/bin/systemd-detect-virt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   23096 Jun  6 15:55 /usr/bin/systemd-gnome-ask-password-agent
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  515304 Jun 28 06:23 /usr/bin/systemd-nspawn
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   43512 Jun 28 06:23 /usr/bin/systemd-path
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  343248 Jun 28 06:23 /usr/bin/systemd-run
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  339152 Jun 28 06:23 /usr/bin/systemd-stdio-bridge
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   27776 Jun 26 15:37 /usr/bin/systemmonitor
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  124176 Jun 26 14:09 /usr/bin/systemsettings5

in cli   -->   systemadm

works no problem

Who else has systemadm  in systemsettings5 ?

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #47 on: 2015/07/05, 01:58:03 »
Quote from: holgerw
Hello Alf,

since my switch to kf5 and plasma5 with siduction I use sddm without any problems, same situation with Antergos, Manjaro and Netrunner. I've a german localised system and sddm also "speaks" german with me

Kind regards,
  Holger

I too have no problems with sddm, since kdm is dead and has been for a while, never had it installed to begin with.

Code: [Select]
apt-get install sddm kde-config-sddm sddm-theme-breeze sddm-theme-circles sddm-theme-elarun sddm-theme-maldives sddm-theme-maui

Is all I did, no problems

Like I said on irc

"<piper> no problems at all with sddm,  rebooted  twice with each theme,  5 themes , now to customize it ;) "
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

sepps

« Reply #48 on: 2015/07/05, 08:38:57 »
All seems like pretty.

I've taken option "c". without a problem. ;D

Thank you all, who support this theme, especially santa.

sepps

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #49 on: 2015/07/05, 13:25:44 »
@piper: sddm has improved in the last few month a lot - but is far from mature - to sum it up: if it works ok - it works ok - if not, bad luck. There are some corner cases i pointet out yesterday in irc, i see no movement in these bugs. Mostly these things are about language and keyboard settings, default values and missed functionality. All these things are in the bugtracker of sddm and need to be addressed - and the sddm team will address them sooner or later.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #50 on: 2015/07/05, 17:05:52 »
Quote from: melmarker
@piper: sddm has improved in the last few month a lot - but is far from mature - to sum it up: if it works ok - it works ok - if not, bad luck. There are some corner cases i pointet out yesterday in irc, i see no movement in these bugs. Mostly these things are about language and keyboard settings, default values and missed functionality. All these things are in the bugtracker of sddm and need to be addressed - and the sddm team will address them sooner or later.

I agree that it is not mature enough and that at this point in development is no way ready to be default by siduction

However  :) (you knew that was coming) this is sid, for some of us, we like to try new things or to break things or perhaps both at the same time ;)

For some that have a sense of adventure and know that your system can unfold to not booting, cause you to drink, smoke, swear more than normal, shit, sddm might be for you,  :)

Santa

« Reply #51 on: 2015/07/05, 22:04:50 »

Hi,

I have updated the installation instructions here:
https://community.kde.org/Plasma/InstallingNext#siduction

The instructions refer to sddm-kcm I found it as:
$ apt-cache search sddm
kde-config-sddm - KCM module for SDDM

Meanwhile, I couldn't get sddm to work.  It would hang with a black screen after login.  After ctrl  f1 I entered dpkg-reconfigure sddm, and set it to kdm, then rebooted and it strangely went into sddm and worked.  Then I did dpkg-reconfigure again and set it to sddm and it broke again. Then I set it to kdm and it was still broken.  I uninstalled sddm and now I'm back in with kdm.  Searching google, I could only find conflicting ideas of how to set the dm. 

Then uninstalled kdm and had only sddm installed, but that didn't work either.  Yet it did one time work so something must be stopping it from starting X.  I tried deleting ~/.Xauthority. Does anyone know the steps involved in making sure the startup to sddm works?

I have updated sddm syncing with latest kubuntu's package, please re-test. Also the installation instructions were updated.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #52 on: 2015/07/05, 22:46:03 »
I have updated sddm syncing with latest kubuntu's package, please re-test. Also the installation instructions were updated.
Thank you very much for the feedback.

Works great now! kdm has been purged. Thanks!  It took a bit of work but I feel all fresh up to date and modern with my new KDE.  I once compiled my own kdevelop and associated libraries, knowing what it took to do that, I can't imagine doing the whole KDE. Thanks! 

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #53 on: 2015/07/05, 23:38:06 »
Quote from: vayu
Works great now! kdm has been purged. Thanks!  It took a bit of work but I feel all fresh up to date and modern with my new KDE.  I once compiled my own kdevelop and associated libraries, knowing what it took to do that, I can't imagine doing the whole KDE. Thanks! 

Glad you got this solved  :)

Online bevo

• User
« Reply #54 on: 2015/07/06, 08:29:55 »
What a mess  >:(

Nach dem DU von gestern laufen diverse Anwendung nicht mehr z.B. Icedove, Iceweasel nur über den Launcher, Korganizer ohne Kalender usw. usw.

Die Kontrolleiste ist leer.

Das Erscheinungsbild (Symbole usw. ) wie aus der Urzeit des PC anno 1980 !

bevo

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #55 on: 2015/07/06, 09:41:38 »
What a mess  >:(

Nach dem DU von gestern laufen diverse Anwendung nicht mehr...
Wie exakt bist Du denn der Anleitung aus dem ersten Post des Threads gefolgt? Nur kdenext aktiviert oder wie im Link vorgeschlagen auch kde-standard (re)installiert?
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Online bevo

• User
« Reply #56 on: 2015/07/06, 11:47:39 »
Nichts dergleichen  >:(

Oh well

bevo

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #57 on: 2015/07/06, 12:38:38 »
Hinsichtlich KDE geht es in Debian grade ziemlich rund (siehe auch hier).  Da das Kind nunmal in den Brunnen gefallen ist gibt es eigentlich nur die Möglichkeit a) per Backup das System zurückzusetzen und kein D-U oder b) (bevorzugt) in den sources.list kdenext zu aktivieren und erneut zu aktualiseren. Die Grundsätzlich Stoßrichtung ist vorwärts, auch wenns grad knirscht, und zurzeit ist Upgrade-Warnings lesen (und D-U-output versuchen zu interpretieren) extrem empfohlen.   :-\

{ Short summary of last posts for EN readers: dist-upgrade without kdenext rendered bevos system nearly unusable, advice is to either revert with a system-backup and hold off d-u or move forwards with kdenext. }
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Online bevo

• User
« Reply #58 on: 2015/07/06, 14:39:23 »
Ja, da habe ich geschlafen  :-[

bevo

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #59 on: 2015/07/07, 22:41:58 »
Dropbox syncs, but there is no icon in the tray and the notifier doesn't work.

There is a known issue with the Plasma 5 panel, and quite a few packages can't park an icon or notifier on the panel.  Radiotray is useless, for example, and skype will park a launcher, but the "signed in" and the other notifier icon of skype do not park, so you have to use the window menu to sign out.  I would suppose the same problem is affecting dropbox.  I followed the guidance on the blog to try to remediate the issue, but ..... :(
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO