Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  UEFI install  (Read 5908 times)

Offline titan

• User
Re: UEFI install
« Reply #15 on: 2018/05/04, 15:52:05 »
I have had some success, I can now get the live iso running, there were two versions of my usb drive in bios ,with and without UEFI prefix I had tried both with various cheatcodes but Towo's amdgpu worked but the resulting install won't boot I have tried twice to do full upgrade in live session but it just stops responding around 55% ( there are 1400 packages) I also upgraded the amd and mesa drivers but makes no difference.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #16 on: 2018/05/05, 13:21:00 »
If you can now start the live session, try installing 4.17 (like recommended above) before installation.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #17 on: 2018/05/05, 16:19:59 »
From live install (using towo bootcheat) I installed latest kernel amggpu and mesa and then did install. This install will not boot from HD without using nomodeset in grub menu it does boot and I have add experimental installed 4.17 kernel and done full upgrade but still will not run without bootcheat. That is enough for the moment, it is lovely day so out for a blast on motorbike. Thanks for all help so far.

Ian

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #18 on: 2018/05/05, 18:20:28 »
Boot parameters are not generally bad - they are often needed to keep things running. A better word for "cheat" would be "hint" - one have to help the  systems from time to time with some hints :D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #19 on: 2018/05/06, 12:23:39 »
More progress, I downloaded the amdgpu drivers from AMD, They have an install script which fails with wrong OS so I edited the install script changing ubuntu to debian. The amdgpu drivers then appeared in synaptic but not installed so I installed them and now the system boots from HD but graphics only have one size, xrandr only shows one size. after trying a few things I decided to remove the new AMD drivers and to my surprise the system now boots and with all the available screen sizes showing in xrandr.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #20 on: 2018/05/06, 12:49:31 »
The reason is: you messed it up - that also called vesa
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #21 on: 2018/05/06, 13:18:27 »
I am more than happy to learn can you explain what you mean please

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #22 on: 2018/05/06, 13:30:42 »
More progress, I downloaded the amdgpu drivers from AMD, They have an install script which fails with wrong OS so I edited the install script changing ubuntu to debian. The amdgpu drivers then appeared in synaptic but not installed so I installed them and now the system boots from HD but graphics only have one size, xrandr only shows one size. after trying a few things I decided to remove the new AMD drivers and to my surprise the system now boots and with all the available screen sizes showing in xrandr.
^^ please don't do such things - one should take amdgpu from debian. If there are problems talking with towo` in IRC would be a good idea. Also a good idea is 'inxi -G' - should show which graphics drivers are used.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #23 on: 2018/05/06, 13:38:32 »
This is just a test install nothing else was working so I was experimenting. You mentioned I somehow called in vesa and that now gives me screen settings, which live iso and HD did not, just one fixed size. Is vesa driver not installed on iso

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #24 on: 2018/05/06, 13:50:01 »
you misunderstood - dunno from which date the iso was exactly - but normally the things should work out of the box, in your case it might be that a new kernel helps too. Sorry, doesn't have that current hardware to reproduce.

the "only one size" was vesa - and you removed amdgpu from AMD - and (wild guess) the original driver delivered by debian too - in that case (also a wild guess) the modesetting driver jumps in and everything is fine.
Please paste the output of inxi -Gxxx - thats some kind of funny and could be helpful for others with brand new Ryzens.

Offline titan

• User
« Reply #25 on: 2018/05/06, 13:55:16 »

inxi output

Code: [Select]
ian@sid2:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card-1: AMD Raven Bridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.25.0 / 4.17.0-rc3-siduction-amd64 LLVM 6.0.0) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.2

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #26 on: 2018/05/06, 13:58:21 »
ok - i don't get it - but it works :)