Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] [solved] No automatic start of display manager adter du  (Read 3492 times)

rasa

[EN] [solved] No automatic start of display manager adter du
« on: 2012/06/07, 09:25:42 »
Hello,

after a du on monday (last has been 10 weeks before) the desktop manager (lightdm in my case) does not start automatically anymore. I reinstalled it, I even installed another one but none of this worked out. However if I start the dm amnually once I"m logged in as root it works out.
Looking into the Xorg logfile shows before the manual start of lighdm

[    17.661] drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
[    17.661] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0                                                       [    17.661] drmOpenDevice: open result is 9, (OK)
                                                         [    17.661] drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 9                                                            [    17.661] drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0                    
[    17.661] (EE) RADEON(0):
[dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed because of a version mismatch.                                            
[dri] This chipset requires a kernel module version of 1.17.0,      
[dri] but the kernel reports a version of 2.15.0.
[dri] Make sure your module is loaded prior to starting X, and                        
[dri] that this driver was built with support for KMS.                  
[dri] Aborting.                                                
[    17.661] (II) UnloadModule: "radeon"                                    
[    17.661] (II) UnloadSubModule: "int10"                                      
[    17.661] (II) Unloading int10                                                        [    17.662] (II) UnloadSubModule: "vgahw"                                      
[    17.662] (II) Unloading vgahw                                                        [    17.662] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.                
[    17.662] Fatal server error:
                                                     [    17.662] no screens found                                                        

Once I manually start the dm everything has been identified correctly.

Please tell me if you need further system infos.

Thanks
rasa

Edit by holgerw: Marked as solved

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
No automatic start of display manager adter du
« Reply #1 on: 2012/06/07, 09:38:24 »
Your KMS seems to be disabled.

greetz
devil

rasa

[solved] No automatic start of display manager adter du
« Reply #2 on: 2012/06/08, 13:39:08 »
Hello devil,

thanks for your answer. Indeed KMS was deactivated.
However I'm surprised that I need to activate the radeon module explicitely according to the steps described in the debian wiki, as it has not been necessary before.

thanks
rasa

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
[solved] No automatic start of display manager adter du
« Reply #3 on: 2012/06/08, 13:49:51 »
If you use the 2nd boot option from our live-cd (specialy for radeon cards), linux-firmware-nonfree will be installed and KMS enabled. If you use the first boot-option, this will not happen.

greetz
devil