Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Potential bug? su-to-root using user's HOME instead of root  (Read 7432 times)

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
[EN] RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Potential bug? su-to-root using
« Reply #15 on: 2012/12/14, 06:29:50 »
Code: [Select]
piper@x1:~$ su-to-root -X -c '/usr/bin/env; sleep 10'
kdesu(16080)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::exec: [ ../../kdesu/process.cpp : 293 ]  Running "/bin/su"
kdesu(16080)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ ../../kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "Password: "
kdesu(16080)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::exec: [ ../../kdesu/process.cpp : 293 ]  Running "/bin/su"
kdesu(16080)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ ../../kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "Password: "
kdesu(16080)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::WaitSlave: [ ../../kdesu/process.cpp : 379 ]  Child pid 16129
kdesu(16080)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ ../../kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line ""
kdesu(16080)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ ../../kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "kdesu_stub"
kdesu(16080)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::WaitSlave: [ ../../kdesu/process.cpp : 379 ]  Child pid 16132
kdesu(16080)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ ../../kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line ""
kdesu(16080)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ ../../kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "kdesu_stub"
piper@x1:~$
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

braveheartleo

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Potential bug? su-to-root using
« Reply #16 on: 2012/12/14, 07:22:13 »
What is the output of
$ cat /etc/su-to-rootrc on your system?

It seems you didn't properly read my post :). By your terminal output, The su-like program that 'su-to-root -X' calls is kdesu and _not_ sux, where the bug manifests.

It is _important_ that you
# echo 'SU_TO_ROOT_X=sux' > /etc/su-to-rootrc before you run the
$ su-to-rootrc -X -c '/usr/bin/env; sleep 10' Of course it goes without saying that you should verify that you have sux installed before trying to replicate the bug
# apt-get install sux

braveheartleo

« Reply #17 on: 2012/12/14, 07:41:48 »
To give further clarification this bug most probably will be of concern to those who use Xfce or LXDE, or other lightweight DE/WM. GNOME uses gksu while KDE uses kdesu. Gksu on the otherhand may be used by Gtk-based environments. Sux is for the minimalistic and terminal-inclined :).

By having _only_ sux installed, without the presence of its alternatives like gksu, kdesu, ktsuss, etc., 'su-to-root -X' will use sux, and you will know this when you're presented with a terminal asking for root password before running an app from the menu that requires root privilege.

Moreover, the bug seems to only manifest to applications that are run from /usr/bin, such as GSmartControl (/usr/bin/gsmartcontrol). Applications that run from /usr/sbin, such as Synaptic (/usr/sbin/synaptic) are not affected.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #18 on: 2012/12/15, 00:21:33 »
I build my own customized version of siduction with pyfll, sux is already installed and is by default for siduction
located at /pyfll/packages/packages.d/pyfll-x-debian

To use sux at terminial type sux instead of su, give password

sux is just a wrapper to su to transfer your X credentials to the target user

example

sux
password
dbus-launch systemsettings

or
sux -l systemsettings
or
sux -l synaptic
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #19 on: 2012/12/15, 00:27:55 »
by the way
piper@x1:~$ cat /etc/su-to-rootrc
SU_TO_ROOT_X=sux
piper@x1:~$

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #20 on: 2012/12/15, 00:54:35 »
and please look at your bug report

OK, I see what you report: by setting SU_TO_ROOT_SU=su,
you force su-to-root to use su instead of sux, so you
are actually using su, so you are bypassing the bug with su-to-root.

Probably this is not the expected behaviour, though it is pointless to
set SU_TO_ROOT_SU to su since it is the default value anyway.

Now to your report, it seems the su behaviour is correct, see the bug reports
#246886 and #150314. Basically, if su reset $HOME, then X programs will fail to
find the .Xauthority file.

Offline reddark

• User
    • http://www.klangruinen.de/
Potential bug? su-to-root using user's HOME instead of root
« Reply #21 on: 2012/12/15, 01:22:28 »
su-to-root -X -c systemsettings