Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  first install attempt... oops!  (Read 8151 times)

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
Re: first install attempt... oops!
« Reply #15 on: 2016/01/21, 08:49:34 »
No, you have to see it as a tablet because in 1st instance it is a tablet.
It has a f**ing 32bit EFI as every Win-Tablet in the wild.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

crankypuss

« Reply #16 on: 2016/01/21, 18:18:59 »
No, you have to see it as a tablet because in 1st instance it is a tablet.
It has a f**ing 32bit EFI as every Win-Tablet in the wild.

I hear you.  Maybe I'll write that blog post I've been thinking about, "Computers Used To Have Switches".  Hey, when I first signed up for a userid here, it asked for website, but I had trouble reading the captcha letters and I've never seen that again.  Is there a way to put it in?  I hunted in profile-settings for a while but didn't find it.  Maybe events intervened, I don't remember.

Anyway, no, you don't have to care whether it's a tablet or a mainframe, what you have to remember is that it's a computer, and that sets certain requirements upon it, whether the implementation meets them or not.

We are in control here, not the hardware makers.  What we ought to do, if money is needed to keep siduction afloat, is write up a spec and send it to China for manufacture then sell them for no more profit than necessary.  I wonder if it's legal to sell dual-boot Windows/Linux systems... not that many linux users would care.

The ASUS T100 eats binary and poops output, so in my book it's just a computer.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #17 on: 2016/01/21, 22:13:11 »
towo` is right, its a fucking tablet - with a fucking 32 bit efi on a stupid assembled platform.  So i guess you might be  able to install a starting system if you find a starting image with matching efi. never tested it, but then you are eventually able to run a iso from grub and install siduction. And maybe you will find a matching efi package for the tablet in the debian repo.

Sorry, we don't care about this platform because non of the devs would buy such hardware and until now nobody™ was in this desparate state of mind to dedicate us such crap. 8)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

crankypuss

« Reply #18 on: 2016/01/21, 22:38:05 »
Geez, a "Global Moderator" defying the roolz about vulgarity, right on, fuck the rules!

Tell you what, spud; Debian stretch runs just fine on it, only you have to go through the find-the-driver circus.  I figured with siduction, I could get the drivers in the ISO and not need to do an inplace upate to sid; after all that's kind of the point of siduction, not needing to update to sid, and y'all did advertise as how you'd included the basic non-free drivers, right?  Stupid me, huh?

"never tested it" seems to be about par for the course, you don't know much about it but you have the opinion that you're an expert, oh my!

What did You People think was going to happen with EFI, it was just going to go away?

I'd rather have a plain old BIOS system, but I'm pretty sure I'll keep this ASUS T100 because it's useful as a UEFI-Only testcase.

Tell you what, smart-guy; why don't you go find a 10" netbook with some kind of current hardware; wake me up when you get done. 

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #19 on: 2016/01/21, 22:55:55 »
Maybe your best bet is to run debian on it - and you are right, i have no clue about building a efi-enabled distribution nor a clue about debian and linux et all.

And it's only a hint: One  should inform himself beforehand who one pisses and who better not , if one wants to preserve the chance of help or assistance in any form.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #20 on: 2016/01/21, 23:36:11 »
I tried to get you to find out what driver was needed. That did not go well, even though I just asked for the output of a simple command. So maybe you need to tone down a bit and realize that your tablet is not a normal device for efi tests and for sure not the best device to judge a new distribution on.

greetz
devil

crankypuss

« Reply #21 on: 2016/01/21, 23:51:33 »
I tried to get you to find out what driver was needed. That did not go well, even though I just asked for the output of a simple command. So maybe you need to tone down a bit and realize that your tablet is not a normal device for efi tests and for sure not the best device to judge a new distribution on.

Maybe You People ought to understand that Debian is "The Universal Operating System" and if you're going to play in that ballpark maybe you should deliver the goods instead of just talk.

I asked where to find the startup log, and I'm still waiting.  I'm pretty sure I saw an obvious message about some brcm issue.

You want to maybe actually read the output of that command, which I posted.  The lscpi command isn't going to report something the kernel hasn't recognized.

crankypuss

« Reply #22 on: 2016/01/21, 23:53:18 »
And it's only a hint: One  should inform himself beforehand who one pisses and who better not , if one wants to preserve the chance of help or assistance in any form.

You might want to keep that in mind, I've been writing systems code and developer utilities since Linus Torvalids was in mommy's womb.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #23 on: 2016/01/21, 23:58:36 »
then you should be able to solve your problems alone - and with your attitude i think you must solve your problems alone

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #24 on: 2016/01/22, 01:14:15 »
Hello crankypuss,

siduction is open for contributions of the community. Everybody is welcome to join the community and show up with ideas, feedback, bugreports, code, artwork or doing any kind of support. Recent contributions like the newly developed flavours siduction-lxqt and -mate are examples for this openess.

Demanding support for cornercases like 32 bit EFI is the opposite of contributing. Binding the manpower of a small project for your personal hardwaresupport isn't justified by the poor outcome. While we ignored your demands we have spend the time working on the installer URL issue you noticed.

Bad mood will immediately arise when such demanders happily announce that they are even unwilling to look at the docs. I think somebody should have closed this thread directly after my first post.

greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #25 on: 2016/01/22, 15:17:22 »
Hello crankypuss,

we are tracking the network issue as a combined weakness in cmst and qupzilla:
When cmst fails to configure the network, quipzilla won't connect to localhost.

This glitch prevents accessing the installer and the manual.

greetings
musca
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Online dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #26 on: 2016/01/22, 17:07:10 »
It appears this thread has run to its natural conclusion with nothing further coming that would be productive, so locking thread now.

Couple of observations for future reference:

- people who voluntarily develop and support the distribution deserve the respect of users (i.e. their opinions and choices of priorities should be taken seriously, whether agreed upon or not)

- English is not the first language of many of the siduction team, so the insult detector needs to be turned way down, especially since written communications don't convey emotional content very well

Thanks.

System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #27 on: 2016/01/23, 10:42:40 »
Thanks dibl for the conclusion. Actualy the thread was closed already by me, which you might have overseen due to your mod status :)

greetz
devil