Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Quo vadis - kdenext repo?  (Read 6429 times)

Offline samoht

• User
Quo vadis - kdenext repo?
« on: 2015/12/11, 18:25:56 »

@ siduction developers,
I know that my question touches a very sensitive issue - and, please, don't start a flamewar!
But I - and certainly many other kdenext users - would like to learn from a knowledgeable developer about the future of the kdenext repo.
Look, for instance, at santa`s detailed postings in the past.
I think, all kdenext users are nowadays in a very uncomfortable situation.
Thanks for attention.
« Last Edit: 2015/12/11, 18:30:17 by samoht »

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Quo vadis - kdenext repo?
« Reply #1 on: 2015/12/11, 19:14:53 »
I can fully understand the question and I will try to answer it without nourishing a flamewar and stay strictly with facts. Except for one personal thing, that needs to be stated here: Santa is not an easy person to get along with and work with on IRC and he knows that. We appreciate his work, as many users do, but maybe our work with him will come to an end.

That being said, we are not quite sure at this point in time what will happen. A couple of weeks ago we talked about our upcoming release with Santa. As we do not feel comfortable to base our release on kde-next as a only default, we tried a compromise: We offered to release two flavours, one with debian's KDE, one with kde-next from Santa. Unfortunately we could not reach an agreement, because Santa did not understand nor accept that we owe it to our users to leave them the choice to also follow debian on KDE if they like.

Things went back and forth and back again for hours without getting anywhere and we made it clear that we will not move from this position. In the end Santa came to the conclusion that he will probably leave siduction behind at some point. He let us know, he had been thinking about this for a while already. He did not give a date for this or make it a clear decision yet.

That is the reason why I have not yet informed our users about the state of affairs with kde-next. We will ship a release, hopefully with plasma 5.5, if debian provides (most likely it will be a dev-release and we hope it is possible within the remaining days of this year) If Santa steps up and agrees to do a kde-next-update we are willing to also ship that as another flavour of kde developement for our users to choose.

I would have been happy to answer this question with more clearly, but this is all we know at the moment. Should kde-next not be updated, we will provide our users with means to go from kde-next to debian's kde. We have not decided yet, when this will happen, it depends on the necessity. This process is a bit more complicated than just a dist-upgrade with an altered sources list (which will not work), but it can be done and we will assist users in the process, should it become necessary. So please do not panic, there is no reason to do so.
« Last Edit: 2015/12/11, 19:18:14 by devil »

Offline samoht

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2015/12/11, 19:41:39 »

@devil,
honestly, I hoped for just your thorough statement and deeply appreciate it.
And secondly, I had such a clue.
Anyway, just wait and see! Or convert to pure Debian sid/uction, at this moment on one's own.  ;)
Thanks once more
Tom

Offline bluelupo

• User
    • BluelupoMe
« Reply #3 on: 2015/12/11, 19:48:22 »
My experiences for kdenext repo.

I have about a year ago decided to switch from kdenext on KDE in Debian SID, because some programs not working as I had imagined.

Also, I'm a long-time KDE users on a working KDE PIM (KMail, KAddressBook, Kontact, etc.) instructed. However, new features of the current program versions I will gladly try.

Unfortunately in kdenext Repo the KDE PIM package was quite "frozen" in a particular version.
Santa has done a good job for siduction long time but can not attend can complete program range of KDE desktops for siduction. That's impossible to deal with a single maintainer.

However, what should be mentioned that KDE in Debian SID or experimental but sometimes also in the versions is lagging. Fedora or SuSE are much current here.

EDIT: Revised due to translation errors
« Last Edit: 2015/12/11, 22:28:45 by bluelupo »

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2015/12/11, 22:15:14 »
Hi,

as a pleased kde-next user: It is a pity to read this, my system with kde-next worked fine and as expected for a long time, following Santa's good advices. I think it would be very sad if Santa would leave, but I can understand devils point of few very well.
So I guess I will leave my system as is for now and do a fresh install with the upcomming release.

Whatever will happen, thanks very much, Santa.

Greets
ayla

mylo

« Reply #5 on: 2015/12/11, 22:21:21 »
Code: [Select]
quote devil:
Should kde-next not be updated, we will provide our users with means to go from kde-next to debian's kde.
Hi devil,
thanks for your statement. I think above cited extract there of is the most important part of your information. Thanks in advance.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #6 on: 2015/12/11, 22:40:03 »
No one needs to take any premature action yet, which could hose your install. We will handle this in a ordered manner. Maybe Santa will chime in and give this matter more of a perspective.

greetz
devil

Offline bad_aptitude

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2015/12/12, 18:26:35 »
Thanks devil.
You are the main reason I am staying with Siduction.

bad_aptitude

Offline drb

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2015/12/13, 00:20:52 »
No one needs to take any premature action yet, which could hose your install. We will handle this in a ordered manner. Maybe Santa will chime in and give this matter more of a perspective.

greetz
devil

Yes, thanks devil for your detailed response.

Offline Jörg

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2015/12/13, 13:29:05 »
Having done no DU for many months, I stay with Siduction as my one and only OS - thanks to the fine work of our administrator, global operators and the handfull of active knowledge-users.

Greetings,
Jörg

tmhind2

« Reply #10 on: 2015/12/13, 16:39:56 »
I am sure that whatever the principal developer's at siduction decide in reference to next or sid will not make everyone happy, hard decisions are just that! But whatever the case they are making it for the betterment of the distribution for now and in the future, we all came to siduction as a choice.  So let the cards fall where they must for the betterment of this great distribution,  thanks developers your work and efforts are really appreciated.  :)

Regards,  Tmhind2

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2015/12/14, 03:27:39 »
Hi,

as a pleased kde-next user: It is a pity to read this, my system with kde-next worked fine and as expected for a long time, following Santa's good advices. I think it would be very sad if Santa would leave, but I can understand devils point of few very well.
So I guess I will leave my system as is for now and do a fresh install with the upcomming release.

Whatever will happen, thanks very much, Santa.

Greets
ayla

I'm also sad to hear this. Thanks to Santa combined with the siduction team I've enjoyed a top level KDE desktop for a long time as a true rolling release with up to date packages.  I'm grateful for the siduction team and appreciate the commitment to keeping KDE users going. I'm concerned but will hold tight.  I also want to give a big thanks to Santa. I can't emphasize enough how much his work has meant to me.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #12 on: 2015/12/14, 08:10:54 »
For now Debian is following KDE upstream quite closely, but this is not necessarily true for the future, they might fall behind again, which was the original reason to get the kde-next branch started.

greetz
devil

tmhind2

« Reply #13 on: 2015/12/14, 13:40:16 »
Thanks Devil, thanks Santa through you're efforts we users continue to have a choice in which way to go,
I can only hope will continue in the future.  :)
Regards,
Tom

Santa

« Reply #14 on: 2015/12/14, 13:54:20 »
Hi,

I don't know when will happen - but I decided I will leave siduction I a soonish future. The posts from devil and bluelupo have some important details omitted so if I have time I will clarify them.

Regards.