Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Chili Developement Platform  (Read 4233 times)

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
[EN] Chili Developement Platform
« on: 2014/03/16, 15:46:52 »
Some of you might have recognized changes in our dev platform under http://bugs.siduction.org/projects/siduction/wiki in the past two days.
We were using Chili as the tool of choice, which unfortunately has been discontinued. So, as Chili was a fork of Redmine, we are in the process of migrating there. The functionality will be the same, the look will be kind of ugly for a while. Bare with us :)

greetz
devil

Offline absolut

• User
Re: Chili Developement Platform
« Reply #1 on: 2014/03/23, 15:33:31 »
i'd like to just mention that in my university we had a discussion on exactly this topic between system admins... in the end, openproject was chosen, which is a chili fork: https://www.openproject.org/

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/03/23, 18:30:29 »
Well, migration to Redmine is more less finished, and it looks ok so far. agaida did a lot of work on that, so thanks for that.

greetz
devil

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #3 on: 2014/03/23, 19:35:23 »
@absolut: openproject may be nice - but not for us - the question behind it is: Is Finnlabs as only main contributor für a tracking system the best choice ever? Chili is dead - and i think that go with a chili fork isn't the best idea one can have :) I hate vendor lockins - migrating chili back to redmine was a pita. And going with redmine is the only choice for us to prevent a lock in in the future.

At the moment redmine is in a good shape and i hope it will be for the next years - and i think eventually migrating from redmine to Atlassian would be more easy the a migration from a dead fork from a dead project - that are my thoughts and objections with openproject. I don't have any trust in FinnLabs in the long term. Imho they don't have the manpower for that project - and some good people who are driving forces behind chili leave FinnLabs. They now work for plan.io and develop and support redmine :P
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: 2014/03/23, 22:14:55 »
Thanks for all that work, Alf.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline absolut

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/03/23, 23:10:28 »
please do not take my earlier post as some kind of criticism, is was not meant as such. I do not question your competence at all, specifically because I do not know much about development platforms and their pros/cons.

I stumbled upon this devils info thread and just mentioned the openproject name, cause I've heard it up in a discussion some weeks ago. @melmarker: The background info you mention is interesting. We'll see how things will develop at my university...

Thanks a lot for your effort to keep this great distro running. :)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2014/03/23, 23:46:05 »
@absolut: i don't take that as criticism - but it may be interesting for your devs to know our reasons - and trust me, that i don't migrate from chili to redmine just for fun. Ruby can be real pain in the ass, especially if it come to older rails version, older ruby versions and so on. And chili was behind redmine after a real good start - ok, the finnlab guys make some great things with the new ui, it was an interesting approach with some not so nice aspects - broken plugins, broken workflow, but a new and shiny ui.

And thats the point - if one go with main development / upstream, one can trust, that the most important plugins will be developed for new versions - at least the chance is higher than for forks. I've seen that for  chiliproject, over times a few very useful plugins (wiki extensions, time-tracker etc) break and no one fixed them. Annoying :) Another point is, that one will use a bug tracking system on a daily base, it will be hard to impossible to change that if people rely on it. And it becomes harder every  day it runs. Btw: It costs 12 man days until now to migrate back to redmine.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)