Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  For systemd users, d-u is a bit tricky today  (Read 5491 times)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
For systemd users, d-u is a bit tricky today
« on: 2013/09/12, 13:11:25 »
If you are booting with systemd, and you have systemd-sysv on hold, today's d-u will not install the new 204-3 packages for systemd-sysv, libpam-systemd, etc. Instead they will be held back.  And if you take systemd-sysv off hold and try to d-u, then it will be removed and replaced by sysvinit.  So, you need to first run the d-u with systemd-sysv on hold, and update everything else, then do this:

Code: [Select]
apt-get install systemd-sysv=204-3

and that will pull in the additional systemd packages that were held back, plus the long held-back xserver-xorg-core package will now be upgraded.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
For systemd users, d-u is a bit tricky today
« Reply #1 on: 2013/09/12, 14:17:02 »
...yep, and do not forget to put systemd-sysv back on hold afterwards.
apt-mark hold systemd-sysv will do that for you.

greetz
devil

domicius

RE: For systemd users, d-u is a bit tricky today
« Reply #2 on: 2013/09/14, 17:44:07 »
Thanks for the warning, however, I'm wondering, should everyone have had the systemd-sysv on hold?

I'm mostly on sid and have been using systemd for quite some time now, but systemd-sysv was neither installed, nor holded.

Latest dist-upgrade seems like it's going to go well (151 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10 not upgraded.), and even if it doesn't want to install me the systemd-sysv, I'll wait a bit first to understand what's the deal with systemd-sysv.

Interesting thing is, if I try holding it, with dpkg-hold systemd-sysv, I get this error:
dpkg: warning: package not in database at line 1: systemd-sysv
dpkg: warning: found unknown packages; this might mean the available database
is outdated, and needs to be updated through a frontend method

I used the dpkg-hold method simply because I've been using it so far (and currently have two packages on hold with it), however, trying it with apt-mark hold systemd-sysv, I get systemd-sysv set on hold, however, checking with either apt-mark showhold or dpkg --get-selection |hold, I don't see systemd-sysv holded, just the two packages I already had holded with dpkg-hold.

So, what's the deal with systemd-sysv? Should I have had it installed all the time?
And, should I be avoiding dpkg-hold or just avoiding using different methods of holding packages at the same time?

timc

RE: For systemd users, d-u is a bit tricky today
« Reply #3 on: 2013/09/14, 18:23:20 »
@domicius, it is explained thoroughly on the Debian wiki. Better than I can explain it. ;)

https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Issue_.231:_sysvinit_vs._systemd-sysv

Tim

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: RE: For systemd users, d-u is a bit tricky today
« Reply #4 on: 2013/09/14, 19:07:05 »
Quote from: "timc"
@domicius, it is explained thoroughly on the Debian wiki. Better than I can explain it. ;)

https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Issue_.231:_sysvinit_vs._systemd-sysv

Tim

Correct.

I chose "Workaround #2" for "Issue #1" -- I installed systemd-sysv and put it on hold.  It works good that way, except in the case of a version upgrade of the core systemd packages, as happened the other day.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
RE: Re: RE: For systemd users, d-u is a bit tricky today
« Reply #5 on: 2013/09/15, 07:30:12 »
Thanks for posting.  I converted one of my desktops to systemd the day before it hit sid, and used the "-t experimental" method.  I see it needed an update today.  Using dibl and devils code it fixed it right up.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline GoinEasy9

• User
RE: Re: RE: For systemd users, d-u is a bit tricky today
« Reply #6 on: 2013/09/23, 04:21:11 »
Just an FYI, and, to bring this to the top, 204-4 is in sid, and, one must use the above procedure to update.
Linux Counter number 348347

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Re: RE: Re: RE: For systemd users, d-u is a bit tricky today
« Reply #7 on: 2013/09/24, 14:57:07 »
Quote from: "GoinEasy9"
Just an FYI, and, to bring this to the top, 204-4 is in sid, and, one must use the above procedure to update.

... and again today with 204-5.