Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  How to install KDE's Plasma 5 in siduction  (Read 34586 times)

Santa

Re: How to install KDE's Plasma 5 in siduction
« Reply #15 on: 2014/08/02, 17:40:00 »
Santa, if you don't get feedback from others on your installation and upgrade from KDE SC 4 questions, I am willing to re-install from scratch to check it.  Just say the word -- you can PM me.

Please go ahead.

just (re)installed:

[snip]

Well, I doubt it would work so "well" with recommends disabled. What I meant is installing from scratch in a new machine without the recommends enabled, this way some packages won't be installed. Thanks for testing anyway, I take note of the issues.

dartex

« Reply #16 on: 2014/08/02, 21:09:41 »

just (re)installed:

[snip]

Well, I doubt it would work so "well" with recommends disabled. What I meant is installing from scratch in a new machine without the recommends enabled, this way some packages won't be installed. Thanks for testing anyway, I take note of the issues.

I reinstalled siduction nox (in a virtual machine) from zero. ;)

the I installed with --install-recommends option... isn't it the same?

Santa

« Reply #17 on: 2014/08/02, 23:08:51 »

just (re)installed:

[snip]

I reinstalled siduction nox (in a virtual machine) from zero. ;)

the I installed with --install-recommends option... isn't it the same?

That enables the recommends. But I asked here 
http://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=4793.msg39751#msg39751
to also try with "install recommends" disabled (if you want and have time of course).

Santa

« Reply #18 on: 2014/08/03, 02:40:23 »
Sorry for the double post,

the latest couple of days I have been working on some scripts which I have to automate part of the work of packaging KDE's Frameworks and Plasma 5 in order to make sure new versions arrive in time. To test these scripts I made with them a new set of packages including the latest changes in Kubuntu's packaging. As a nice side effect I noticed that:
  • krunner works now
  • you have a default wallpaper

So I have just made this new set of packages available in kdenext/kde-frameworks. The dist-upgrade from the previous packages is supported (i.e. suposed to work).

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #19 on: 2014/08/03, 14:53:43 »

Please go ahead.

OK will do today.  First, I ran a dist-upgrade on the VM that I have, and pulled in your new packages.  FYI, this minor error occurred:

Code: [Select]
Unpacking libkf5parts-plugins (5.0.0-siduction1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libkf5parts-plugins_5.0.0-siduction1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/spellcheckplugin.so', which is also in package libkf5parts-bin 5.0.0-0r0

Error: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

However this was resolved with

dpkg --configure -a and all packages were installed.

So, I will start with the siduction-3.2.1-december-kde-amd64 iso, update it, and then see what happens when I add the repo and attempt a d-u.

System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Santa

« Reply #20 on: 2014/08/03, 15:38:44 »
[snip]
FYI, this minor error occurred:

Unpacking libkf5parts-plugins (5.0.0-siduction1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libkf5parts-plugins_5.0.0-siduction1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/spellcheckplugin.so', which is also in package libkf5parts-bin 5.0.0-0r0

Error: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

However this was resolved with

dpkg --configure -a and all packages were installed.

Thanks for reporting this, possible fix uploaded.

So, I will start with the siduction-3.2.1-december-kde-amd64 iso, update it, and then see what happens when I add the repo and attempt a d-u.

Thank you, please remember to install kde-full on top of the default siduction's kde installation.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #21 on: 2014/08/03, 18:43:10 »

Thank you, please remember to install kde-full on top of the default siduction's kde installation.

Good thing you reminded me -- I would not have remembered to do that.

So, december-kde4 64-bit is installed and fully updated, including kde-full.  That took some time.  Now I have enabled the kdenext/kde-frameworks repo, and updated, and tested a dist-upgrade.  Here is the output:

Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  breeze-cursor-theme breeze-icon-theme gdb-minimal kde-style-breeze ksysguard-data kwin-style-breeze
  libdbusmenu-qt5 libkf5archive5 libkf5attica5 libkf5auth-data libkf5auth5 libkf5bookmarks-data
  libkf5bookmarks5 libkf5codecs-data libkf5codecs5 libkf5completion5 libkf5config-data libkf5configcore5
  libkf5configgui5 libkf5configwidgets-data libkf5configwidgets5 libkf5coreaddons5 libkf5crash5
  libkf5dbusaddons-data libkf5dbusaddons5 libkf5declarative-data libkf5declarative5 libkf5globalaccel-data
  libkf5globalaccel5 libkf5guiaddons5 libkf5i18n-data libkf5i18n5 libkf5iconthemes-data libkf5iconthemes5
  libkf5itemviews-data libkf5itemviews5 libkf5jobwidgets-data libkf5jobwidgets5 libkf5js5 libkf5kcmutils-data
  libkf5kcmutils5 libkf5kdelibs4support5 libkf5khtml-data libkf5khtml5 libkf5kiocore5 libkf5kiofilewidgets5
  libkf5kiowidgets5 libkf5networkmanagerqt5 libkf5newstuff-data libkf5newstuff5 libkf5notifications-data
  libkf5notifications5 libkf5parts-data libkf5parts5 libkf5plasma5 libkf5service-bin libkf5service-data
  libkf5service5 libkf5solid5 libkf5solid5-data libkf5sonnet5-data libkf5sonnetcore5 libkf5sonnetui5
  libkf5sysguard5 libkf5sysguard5-data libkf5textwidgets-data libkf5textwidgets5 libkf5wallet5
  libkf5widgetsaddons-data libkf5widgetsaddons5 libkf5windowsystem-data libkf5windowsystem5 libkf5xmlgui-data
  libkf5xmlgui5 libksgrd5 libksignalplotter5 libkwalletbackend5-5 libphonon4qt5-4 libpolkit-qt5-1-1
  libprocesscore5 libprocessui5 libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5gui5 libqt5network5 libqt5opengl5
  libqt5printsupport5 libqt5qml5 libqt5quick5 libqt5script5 libqt5sql5 libqt5svg5 libqt5webkit5
  libqt5widgets5 libqt5x11extras5 libqt5xml5 libxcb-icccm4 libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-xkb1
  qml-module-org-kde-draganddrop qml-module-org-kde-kcoreaddons qml-module-org-kde-kquickcontrols
  qml-module-org-kde-kquickcontrolsaddons qml-module-org-kde-solid systemsettings-data
The following packages have been kept back:
  plasma-desktop
The following packages will be upgraded:
  kmenuedit ksysguard ksysguardd libdbusmenu-qt2 libphonon4 phonon plasma-nm systemsettings
8 upgraded, 105 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 35.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 165 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Is this expected?  Shall I proceed with installing the d-u?
« Last Edit: 2014/08/03, 18:46:12 by dibl »
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Santa

« Reply #22 on: 2014/08/03, 18:51:25 »
[snip]
Is this expected?  Shall I proceed with installing the d-u?

It's somewhat expected but not ok, plasma-desktop (the package which would provide) is being kept back. That's one of the things which need fixing in packaging. So no, you shoudln't proceed with the dist-upgrade.

Thank you for the reply.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #23 on: 2014/08/03, 18:54:36 »
Good.  I will leave that system in its current state and watch for further guidance here.

Santa

« Reply #24 on: 2014/08/08, 17:10:33 »

Hi dibl,

Good.  I will leave that system in its current state and watch for further guidance here.

yesterday I pushed some updates which I have been working on the latest few days. Right now I think you should be able to upgrade from KDE SC 4 installed with 'kde-full' as long as you don't have any kde-l10n-something package installed, that's an additional issue which is being worked on and I hope  to solve it soon.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #25 on: 2014/08/08, 18:02:58 »
Hi Santa,

OK thanks.  I searched for kde-l10n-* and found about 6 or 7 packages installed, so I removed them.  Then, here is what I did:

First, with the kde-frameworks repo disabled, I fully updated the system, and rebooted it.  Then, I enabled the kde-frameworks repo and ran d-u.  Here is the output:

root@dec-kde5:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# apt-get dist-upgrade -d
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  breeze breeze-cursor-theme breeze-icon-theme frameworkintegration gdb-minimal kactivities kde-cli-tools
  kde-cli-tools-data kde-style-breeze kded5 khelpcenter kinit kio-extras kio-extras-data ksysguard-data
  ktexteditor-data kwin kwin-data kwin-style-breeze libdbusmenu-qt5 libjs-underscore libkdecorations5
  libkf5activities5 libkf5archive5 libkf5attica5 libkf5auth-data libkf5auth5 libkf5baloocore1
  libkf5bookmarks-data libkf5bookmarks5 libkf5codecs-data libkf5codecs5 libkf5completion5 libkf5config-data
  libkf5configcore5 libkf5configgui5 libkf5configwidgets-data libkf5configwidgets5 libkf5coreaddons5
  libkf5crash5 libkf5dbusaddons-data libkf5dbusaddons5 libkf5declarative-data libkf5declarative5
  libkf5dnssd-data libkf5dnssd5 libkf5emoticons-data libkf5emoticons5 libkf5globalaccel-data
  libkf5globalaccel5 libkf5guiaddons5 libkf5i18n-data libkf5i18n5 libkf5iconthemes-data libkf5iconthemes5
  libkf5idletime5 libkf5itemviews-data libkf5itemviews5 libkf5jobwidgets-data libkf5jobwidgets5 libkf5js5
  libkf5jsembed-data libkf5jsembed5 libkf5kcmutils-data libkf5kcmutils5 libkf5kdelibs4support5
  libkf5khtml-data libkf5khtml5 libkf5kiocore5 libkf5kiofilewidgets5 libkf5kiowidgets5
  libkf5networkmanagerqt5 libkf5newstuff-data libkf5newstuff5 libkf5notifications-data libkf5notifications5
  libkf5notifyconfig-data libkf5notifyconfig5 libkf5parts-data libkf5parts5 libkf5plasma5
  libkf5plasmaquick5 libkf5pty-data libkf5pty5 libkf5runner5 libkf5screen5 libkf5service-bin
  libkf5service-data libkf5service5 libkf5solid5 libkf5solid5-data libkf5sonnet5-data libkf5sonnetcore5
  libkf5sonnetui5 libkf5su5 libkf5sysguard5 libkf5sysguard5-data libkf5texteditor5 libkf5textwidgets-data
  libkf5textwidgets5 libkf5threadweaver5 libkf5wallet5 libkf5webkit5 libkf5widgetsaddons-data
  libkf5widgetsaddons5 libkf5windowsystem-data libkf5windowsystem5 libkf5xmlgui-data libkf5xmlgui5
  libkf5xmlrpcclientprivate5 libkfontinst5 libkfontinstui5 libksgrd5 libksignalplotter5
  libkwalletbackend5-5 libkwin4-effect-builtins1 libkwineffects5 libkwinglutils5 libkwinxrenderutils5
  libkworkspace5 libphonon4qt5-4 libplasma-geolocation-interface5 libpolkit-qt5-1-1 libprocesscore5
  libprocessui5 libqt5clucene5 libqt5concurrent5 libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5designer5
  libqt5designercomponents5 libqt5gui5 libqt5help5 libqt5multimedia5 libqt5multimediaquick-p5
  libqt5network5 libqt5opengl5 libqt5printsupport5 libqt5qml5 libqt5quick5 libqt5quickwidgets5
  libqt5script5 libqt5sql5 libqt5svg5 libqt5webkit5 libqt5widgets5 libqt5x11extras5 libqt5xml5
  libtaskmanager5 libweather-ion7 libxcb-icccm4 libxcb-render-util0 libxcb-xkb1 milou oxygen-sounds
  plasma-desktop-data plasma-framework plasma-workspace qdbus-qt5 qml-module-org-kde-draganddrop
  qml-module-org-kde-kcoreaddons qml-module-org-kde-kquickcontrols qml-module-org-kde-kquickcontrolsaddons
  qml-module-org-kde-runnermodel qml-module-org-kde-solid qml-module-qtgraphicaleffects
  qml-module-qtmultimedia qml-module-qtquick-controls qml-module-qtquick-dialogs qml-module-qtquick-layouts
  qml-module-qtquick-privatewidgets qml-module-qtquick-window2 qml-module-qtquick2
  qtdeclarative5-controls-plugin qtdeclarative5-kf5declarative qtdeclarative5-kf5solid
  qtdeclarative5-quicklayouts-plugin qttools5-dev-tools systemsettings-data
The following packages will be upgraded:
  kde-full kde-plasma-desktop kde-plasma-netbook kde-window-manager kde-workspace kde-workspace-bin
  kde-workspace-data kdeadmin kdeedu kdegames kdegraphics kdemultimedia kdenetwork kdeutils khelpcenter4
  klipper kmenuedit ksysguard ksysguardd libdbusmenu-qt2 libkactivities-bin libphonon4 phonon
  plasma-desktop plasma-nm systemsettings
26 upgraded, 179 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 89.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 297 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

This looks pretty good, doesn't it?  Shall I let it upgrade?
« Last Edit: 2014/08/08, 18:09:41 by dibl »

Santa

« Reply #26 on: 2014/08/08, 18:11:25 »
[snip]
This looks pretty good, doesn't it?  Shall I let it upgrade?

Yes, as long as the machine you are upgrading is not a a "production" machine everything seems ok. By the way frameworks 5.1.0 and plasma 5.0.1 are coming, I will open a new thread for them.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #27 on: 2014/08/08, 20:18:18 »
OK the d-u went through without error and upon reboot KDE5 came up very much the same as the one that I installed on siduction nox.  A little playing around revealed that systemsettings>multimedia is crashy on this VM also -- possibly that has to do with it being on a VM instead of real hardware.  Otherwise everything that I played with seems to work as expected.  Thanks for your work on this Santa!

Santa

« Reply #28 on: 2014/08/11, 12:39:56 »
I have just pushed a set of updates:
  • the issue with kde-l10n-* is now fixed, so it's safe to dist-upgrade from KDE SC 4 even if you have any kde-l10n-something installed
  • the KDE Frameworks libraries were updated from 5.0.0 to 5.1.0 (released last friday)
OK the d-u went through without error and upon reboot KDE5 came up very much the same as the one that I installed on siduction nox.  A little playing around revealed that systemsettings>multimedia is crashy on this VM also -- possibly that has to do with it being on a VM instead of real hardware.  Otherwise everything that I played with seems to work as expected.  Thanks for your work on this Santa!

I doubt the crash in systemsettings multimedia has something to do with your virtual machine, it seems to me an unrepoducible bug; someone in kubuntu's irc mentioned something similar. Since plasma 5.0.1 is going to be released soon: let's wait until I get this new version of plasma in siduction (hopefully soon) and if you still have the crash I can guide you to provide a meaningful backtrace.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #29 on: 2014/08/11, 13:44:37 »
Just ran the updates.  I see that the "kdesu" function is not yet working. Both window decorations work correctly, as long as you don't try to "Add more".  Under systemsettings>desktop behavior, I can set multiple virtual desktops and that works, but I don't see the ability to have different widgets for each desktop.