Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [closed] cups-daemon failed to start after upgrade  (Read 10577 times)

vigidr

Hi all,

seems my siduction install is getting worse:

After a fresh apt-get update and apt-get upgrade it came up with that:
Code: [Select]
Setting up cups-daemon (1.7.4-1) ...
A dependency job for cups.service failed. See 'journalctl -xn' for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript cups, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing package cups-daemon (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cups-core-drivers:
 cups-core-drivers depends on cups-daemon (>= 1.7.4-1); however:
  Package cups-daemon is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package cups-core-drivers (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cups:
 cups depends on cups-core-drivers (>= 1.7.4-1); however:
  Package cups-core-drivers is not configured yet.
 cups depends on cups-daemon (>= 1.7.4-1); however:
  Package cups-daemon is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package cups (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 cups-daemon
 cups-core-drivers
 cups
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
and journalctl -xn says:
-- Logs begin at Wed 2014-07-23 11:11:32 MYT, end at Wed 2014-07-23 12:37:40 MYT. --
Jul 23 12:37:25 siduction systemd[1]: ^[[1;39m[/lib/systemd/system/pywwetha.service:10] Unknown section 'Socket'. Ignoring.
Jul 23 12:37:25 siduction systemd[1]: ^[[1;39m[/lib/systemd/system/pywwetha.service:11] Assignment outside of section. Ignoring.
Jul 23 12:37:25 siduction systemd[1]: Starting CUPS Printing Service Sockets.
-- Subject: Unit cups.socket has begun with start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit cups.socket has begun starting up.
Jul 23 12:37:25 siduction systemd[1]: ^[[1;39mcups.socket failed to listen on sockets: Cannot assign requested address
Jul 23 12:37:25 siduction systemd[1]: Failed to listen on CUPS Printing Service Sockets.
-- Subject: Unit cups.socket has failed
--
-- Unit cups.socket has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Jul 23 12:37:25 siduction systemd[1]: Dependency failed for CUPS Printing Service.
-- Subject: Unit cups.service has failed
--
-- Unit cups.service has failed.
--
-- The result is dependency.
Jul 23 12:37:25 siduction sudo[17375]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Jul 23 12:37:40 siduction sudo[17652]: ^[[1;39mbalken : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/home/balken ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/journalctl -xn
Jul 23 12:37:40 siduction sudo[17652]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by balken(uid=0)
Please assist...
« Last Edit: 2014/07/24, 02:57:36 by vigidr »

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: cups-daemon failed to start after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 2014/07/23, 12:33:46 »
Quote from: vigidr
Hi all,

seems my siduction install is getting worse:

After a fresh apt-get update and apt-get upgrade it came up with that:
The first mistake is doing a apt-get upgrade

Post the results from

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
Hopefully, that will fix the cups problem if in fact you did use apt-get upgrade

Siduction is based on debian sid (unstable),  we use dist-upgrade not upgrade, which, can/will break your system
« Last Edit: 2014/07/23, 12:38:54 by piper »
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

vigidr

« Reply #2 on: 2014/07/23, 15:42:11 »
OK, that's new to me. I'm used to apt-get upgrade in many other debian systems (stable tho). However, will try dist-upgrade tomorrow. Thanks so far, will come back to this topic.

vigidr

« Reply #3 on: 2014/07/24, 02:57:02 »
OK, dist-upgrade didn't help as well, but I just removed cups (purged) since I don't even need it. Case closed.

reinob

« Reply #4 on: 2014/07/24, 10:37:50 »
Siduction is based on debian sid (unstable),  we use dist-upgrade not upgrade, which, can/will break your system

As long as the dependencies are correctly set (*) there is no danger in doing just "upgrade". I regularly do first upgrade and then dist-upgrade after I check which packages will be installed/removed. Doing the "upgrade" first clears the easy-to-upgrade packages out of the way.

(*) and this should be the case even for unstable. experimental is a different beast.

Offline piper

• User
Re: [closed] cups-daemon failed to start after upgrade
« Reply #5 on: 2014/07/24, 12:59:30 »
Quote from: reinob
Quote from: piper on Yesterday at 07:33:46 AMSiduction is based on debian sid (unstable),  we use dist-upgrade not upgrade, which, can/will break your system
As long as the dependencies are correctly set (*) there is no danger in doing just "upgrade". I regularly do first upgrade and then dist-upgrade after I check which packages will be installed/removed. Doing the "upgrade" first clears the easy-to-upgrade packages out of the way.

(*) and this should be the case even for unstable. experimental is a different beast.
You must be new here

PLEASE READ OUR MANUAL

If you continue with the "upgrade" stuff, you are on your own, no support from us.

Please, don't recommend or encourage our users to do so. 
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

reinob

« Reply #6 on: 2014/07/24, 15:56:18 »
You must be new here

Yes (in the forum)
I don't actually use siduction but sid.

PLEASE READ OUR MANUAL

If you continue with the "upgrade" stuff, you are on your own, no support from us.

I just checked your manual. However I didn't find any substantiated reason why upgrade may be harmful in sid(uction).
(same as with the recommendation to shutdown X/DM before (dist-)upgrading, but that's another topic).

Please, don't recommend or encourage our users to do so.

Fair enough.
Point taken.

Offline absolut

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/07/24, 16:06:46 »
I just checked your manual. However I didn't find any substantiated reason why upgrade may be harmful in sid(uction).

the reason lies in a) the specifics of sid, and b) in the specifics of the apt-get upgrade / apt-get dist-upgrade commands.

in sid, all changes in the repository are considered "new distribution" changes. including changes in dependencies of packages. for that, according to http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html in point 3.4 and 3.5, you would need apt-get dist-upgrade to handle such cases... note the following:
It is also used when changes are made to the relationships between installed packages. With apt-get upgrade, these packages would be kept untouched (kept back).

to handle all the changes in sid correctly all the time, apt-get dist-upgrade is needed

grandie

« Reply #8 on: 2014/07/24, 17:43:52 »
absolutely a great reply if read, you answered a few of my questions, thanks  ;)

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2014/07/25, 03:42:31 »
absolut, thank you for the great reply, couldn't have said it better myself :) :)

If he hung out at any of the official debian channels, he would have known this, especially   #debian-next

Shutting down X/DM before a du (dist-upgrading) is pretty much common sense, Why would you want to upgrade apps, libs, etc,  while your in the system itself, here, we will use KDE, xorg for prime examples.

Really shouldn't have to explain this, and I won't.

Yes, I can do it, I can probably 99.9% fix it also if it broke, to our users, the community itself, Why ? it ain't worth the bragging rights.

You can get around a du without shutting down x/dm with installing some apps, small du's with kde,  xorg, etc,   not being updated, but, you want a trouble free happy community and not everyone has the skills.

Most of us (mods, devs, users) here have been using sid for over a decade, the same policies have been with knoppix, kanotix, sidux, aptosid, siduction, again, most of us (mods, devs) have been involved with all of the distro's above, and a lot of the users here did so also.

It is linux, it's your machine, you decide what you do :)

Sooner or later, it will bite your @ss, we have all been there at one time or another  :)

reinob

« Reply #10 on: 2014/07/25, 10:48:00 »
It is linux, it's your machine, you decide what you do :)

Right. Which means there's no point discussing.

The important issue here is that, as you asked, I should not recommend other users to do things that are unsupported by you.
So I won't.

The rest is a matter of preference.

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #11 on: 2014/07/25, 12:01:15 »

No.

There is no "preference" for the computational result of the calculation "1+1=?"

What you call *preference* is like going to a store, buying whatever pieces lie around (upgrade), ignoring the warnings written down on many places where it says "Please, only buy parts which fit to each other and to your existing machinery" (dist-upgrade), then go home, mount the pieces together and then blame the manger of the store for the fact that not al parts fit and your machinery is broken now, telling him you live in a free country and therefore you like to buy whatever parts are available.

I mean you may call it preference although it obviously is ignorance.
« Last Edit: 2014/07/25, 13:03:36 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2014/07/25, 13:01:53 »
Quote from: piper on Yesterday at 10:42:31 PMIt is linux, it's your machine, you decide what you do
Right. Which means there's no point discussing.

The important issue here is that, as you asked, I should not recommend other users to do things that are unsupported by you.
So I won't.

You matter of preference is going to bork one of our users machines

As long as the dependencies are correctly set (*) there is no danger in doing just "upgrade". I regularly do first upgrade and then dist-upgrade
 after I check which packages will be installed/removed. Doing the
"upgrade" first clears the easy-to-upgrade packages out of the way.

I call this complete suicide  on sid/experimental/testing production/server  machine

reinob

« Reply #13 on: 2014/07/25, 13:08:33 »
There is no "preference" for the computational result of the calculation "1+1=?"

This is entirely irrelevant.

What you call *preference* is like going to a store, buying whatever pieces lie around (upgrade), ignoring the warnings written down on many places where it says "Please, only buy parts which fit to each other and to your existing machinery" (dist-upgrade), then go home, mount the pieces together and then blame the manger of the store for the fact that not al parts fit and your machinery is broken now, telling him you live in a free country and therefore you like to buy whatever parts are available.

Irrelevant. I don't have any problem and I'm not blaming any manager.

I mean you may call it preference although it obviously is ignorance.

Ignorance of what? you seem to believe apt-get does something magical that no human can understand?
Well, no. It's really quite simple actually.

But anyway. Since this topic is not only off-topic but is also getting a bit offensive I will not reply to any more comments in this thread.
Thank you for your understanding.

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2014/07/25, 14:33:14 »
Ignorance of what? you seem to believe apt-get does something magical that no human can understand?
No, the whole point is: "apt-get dist-upgrade" does something "apt-get upgrade" does not: It calculates dependencies.
..but is also getting a bit offensive ...
It wasn't meant to offend you but to show how your preference consists in ignoring warnings.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake