Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Virtualbox (SOLVED)  (Read 3884 times)

gunmetalsid

[EN] Virtualbox (SOLVED)
« on: 2011/12/31, 02:52:33 »
I used virtualboxlinux.run in aptosid, changing group  for using usb  was easy. but now i can't change my group user to  run usb on siduction. any ideas how to use usb on virtualbox?

Regards,
gunmetalsid

Richard

RE: Virtualbox
« Reply #1 on: 2011/12/31, 03:32:07 »
Last I read, you have to have the non-open-source version to read/write direct to USB; however, you can declare/mount a directory that can be used to copy from vbox to disk then switch to other OS and copy out to USB.
Check with https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Documentation

gunmetalsid

Re: RE: Virtualbox
« Reply #2 on: 2011/12/31, 06:42:45 »
Quote from: "Richard"
Last I read, you have to have the non-open-source version to read/write direct to USB; however, you can declare/mount a directory that can be used to copy from vbox to disk then switch to other OS and copy out to USB.
Check with https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Documentation

Last I read and use this the non open source virtualbox package for all linux version.

Code: [Select]
VirtualBox-4.1.8-75467-Linux_amd64.run

and virtualbox 4.x use these to run usb device

Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.8-75467.vbox-extpack

Can you tell me what package beside these two should I download and install on siduction, to run usb device in virtualbox guest?

Regards,
gunmetalsid

Online towo

• Administrator
  • User
RE: Re: RE: Virtualbox
« Reply #3 on: 2011/12/31, 10:19:59 »
apt-get install virtualbox-qt virtualbox-dkms

After that download the matching extpack  and install it.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2011/12/31, 16:16:30 »
The USB support is provided by the extpack and due to licensing it cannot be packaged by distros so you'll have to go to Vbox site to obtain it. Save it in case you ever need to reinstall vbox

zenista

« Reply #5 on: 2011/12/31, 16:51:25 »
yep, thats right! AFAIK, now there is only 1 version of virtualbox instead of 2 different versions. For non-open source stuff, they have a Ext Pack, which you can download and install to enable special features like USB read/write.

gunmetalsid

Re: RE: Re: RE: Virtualbox
« Reply #6 on: 2012/01/01, 07:32:59 »
Quote from: "zenista"
yep, thats right! AFAIK, now there is only 1 version of virtualbox instead of 2 different versions. For non-open source stuff, they have a Ext Pack, which you can download and install to enable special features like USB read/write.

Guys I always install stuff from http://www.virtualbox.org for all linux version. it's non free edition. I run it without hassle on aptosid, pclinuxos, crunchbang and semplice.

Thank god a friend of mine whom using slackware told me to run gksu. (I remember creating shortcut containing gksu on fvwm-crystal, bring back old memories on crunchbang :lol: ).

But hey no gksu on siduction? So I fired up apt-fast and installed gksu.

Now created a shortcut on desktop containing

gksu -u root /usr/bin/virtualbox

Finally work like I wanted. Hell yeah!!! My machine should work for me, not me workin' for the system.

Thank you all for giving me a hand on my problems. This case solved and closed.

PS :
siduction was soooo sexy can't get enough of it. (Even scrotwm was running flawlessly) :shock:

Regards,
gunmetalsid

Offline DeepDayze

• User
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Virtualbox
« Reply #7 on: 2012/01/01, 19:02:44 »
You don't need gksu...kdesu works just as well

gunmetalsid

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Virtualbox
« Reply #8 on: 2012/01/02, 01:44:47 »
Quote from: "DeepDayze"
You don't need gksu...kdesu works just as well