Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] thank you and/or what is the secret of ventoy  (Read 3226 times)

Offline gour

• User
[EN] thank you and/or what is the secret of ventoy
« on: 2023/10/20, 10:14:27 »
Hello,

I hope that main hassle with siduction install is behind me. Thanks to @ro_sid's advice, I was able to install siduction on my netbook. Moreover, today I repeated install - this time using KDE spin and it looks we're going to change DE after looong time, from Xfce to KDE.  :o  8)

Siduction, especially, KDE spin is very polished, many details are taken care of and I can just congratulate the whole team for the wonderful job hoping to be able to somehow contribute to the project in the future.  ;)

Still, I am curious what is the ventoy's trick that I can normally boot siduction iso which is not possible direct way?

I know that due to my faulty bios I've to pass kernel's parameter efi_no_storage_paranoia to allow installer to add new entry in the UEFI table. However, but that's always required...the puzzle is why ventoy can boot the same machine without any problem?  ???

Sincerely,
gour

Offline ro_sid

• User
Re: thank you and/or what is the secret of ventoy
« Reply #1 on: 2023/10/20, 19:29:15 »
You are welcome :)!
With respect to ventoy, well it is open source, so you can decide for yourself :).
Nevertheless here is what is my opinion: Why does it "work", when direct methods do not?

Ventoy boots its own boot manager, based on grub as far as I remember to have read. This means that most systems of the computer are fully initialized afterwards.
Ventoy uses the boot manager of the ISO image only if necessary, unavoidable, or selected by the user. Normally it analyzes the intended booting method, e.g. by finding out what boots the ISO, and then analyzing and executing the configuration file as boot manager itself. Its creator spends a lot of time in learning about different operating systems and flavors thereof. Thus he can even "inject" information to the system or kernel, e.g. to use given files on its own device (stick, sd-card, ssd, or the like) as usable storage space within the destination os.
You can select, what is actually used for booting: ventoy's version of grub, a (standard) grub provided with the ventoy device or even the ISO's boot mechanism.

Me, I think this is a very formidable tool!

Offline gour

• User
Re: thank you and/or what is the secret of ventoy
« Reply #2 on: 2023/10/20, 20:18:32 »
You are welcome :)!
With respect to ventoy, well it is open source, so you can decide for yourself :).
:D

Ventoy boots its own boot manager, based on grub as far as I remember to have read. This means that most systems of the computer are fully initialized afterwards.
Ventoy uses the boot manager of the ISO image only if necessary, unavoidable, or selected by the user. Normally it analyzes the intended booting method, e.g. by finding out what boots the ISO, and then analyzing and executing the configuration file as boot manager itself.

Hmm...it confuses me since withing Ventoy I did select 'grub2 mode' to boot siduction iso, so I assume not much magic involved.  ::)

Anyway, atm, I'm enjoying KDE spin of siduction...  8)