Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] (solved) icedove will open only 3 attachments  (Read 3620 times)

Offline dion

• User
[EN] (solved) icedove will open only 3 attachments
« on: 2014/06/27, 15:18:47 »
Hi all,

Since one of the last d-u's, icedove will only open maximum 2 attachments. When I have opened 2 attachments (and closed them) and try to open a 3rd, nothing happens at all. No error message. The attachment just doesn't open. I have to restart icedove and then I can again open 2 attachments. I googled on this problem but didn't find anything. I have also tried disabling all the add-ons but it doesn't help. Uninstalling and reinstalling icedove didn't help either.

Current version:

apt-cache policy icedove
icedove:
  Installed: 31.0~b1-2
  Candidate: 31.0~b1-2

Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to solve this? It's quite annoying to have to restart icedove all the time.

Thanks,
Dion
« Last Edit: 2014/07/04, 17:33:55 by piper »

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: icedove will open only 3 attachments
« Reply #1 on: 2014/06/27, 15:31:39 »
You can try

Exit icedove if it is running.

Make a temporary  backup of your icedove profile (or at least of the mimeTypes.rdf file).

Delete mimeTypes.rdf from your icedove profile folder

Restart icedove to see if the problem has been fixed.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline dion

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/06/29, 11:46:12 »
@Piper:

I tried what you suggested. If I only backup mimeTypes.rdf and delete it, the only difference is that icedove asks for each type of attachment with which program I wish to open it. But it doesn't solve the problem: after I open 2 attachments, opening the 3rd fails again with no error message.

If I backup the entire icedove profile dir and delete that, I end up with an icedove without any mailboxes and it asks me to set up new accounts entirely. I had to backup and delete the profiles.ini file as well by the way or else icedove will complain that my profile dir is not accessible.

To be more specific on the problem I face:

If I open a PDF attachment of an e-mail for the first time, it opens. If I open the exact same attachment for the second time, it opens as well. But if I try to open the very same attachment for the third time, nothing happens. The problem is not limited to PDF files. The same goes for xls, doc attachments etc. etc.

Thanks,
Dion
« Last Edit: 2014/06/29, 11:54:39 by dion »

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2014/06/29, 16:30:02 »
Does everything work ok when you type

Code: [Select]
icedove --safe-mode
and disable add-ons and start again
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline dion

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/06/29, 16:54:29 »
@Piper: the same problem persists in safe mode

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/06/29, 17:23:01 »
Backup your whole .icedove folder and then delete it, the whole folder not just profile folder

killall icedove

restart icedove, setup accounts, using nothing that was backedup what happens ?

Something is corrupt, any messages in crashes or minidumps inside the .icedove folder ?

Offline dion

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/07/04, 11:08:45 »
Piper: thanks for the advice so far. I am afraid I will have to backup and delete the .icedove folder to solve this issue. But if somehow possible, I would like to avoid this. I have like 8 e-mail accounts and several mailboxes setup with thousands of e-mails and it seems having to set that up again from scratch could be risky. So I will use this brute force solution if nothing else helps.

I don't see any error messages or minidumps in the .icedove folder. But I have tried some things to see what could be wrong:

If I open filename.pdf, this file is copied to my /tmp directory. If I open the same file a second time, a file called filename-1.pdf is copied to my /tmp directory. Both are valid files. Then if I try to open it for the third time, a file called filename-2.pdf is created in my /tmp directory, however this file is empty (0 bytes). Maybe this could help figuring out what could be wrong?

Also: this problem started to occur after a d-u and installing enigmail. Enigmail asked me to change some settings in icedove, so there might be a problem there. I uninstalled enigmail but that did not solve anything.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2014/07/04, 15:40:32 »
If you have a backup, before you installed enigmail, use that back-up after removing the .icedove folder (using any type of encryption, this should be mandatory for a "fallback" in case things get fscked) 

You did back-up right ;)

You just might have to start over from scratch, unless someone else has idea's, as I don't use this add-on and have no use for any type of encryption whatsoever.

One route you can try is

https://www.enigmail.net/download/nightly.php

found

https://www.enigmail.net/download/nightly/enigmail-nightly-all.xpi

You can read about the changes here

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mozilla.enigmail.general

I, myself run both firefox/thunderbird nightly and have been pretty much since the nightly program started

Both firefox/thunderbird are at version 33.0a1

Offline dion

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2014/07/04, 17:27:56 »
Piper: I did have a backup yes. I have been using luckybackup for quite a while already.

I installed enigmail primarily just to see what it does. I currently don't have a real need for it, but with all those NSA scandals, I was thinking of how to make my setup a bit more secure. Maybe I will try it again some day.

For now I have done what you suggested: delete the .icedove folder and reinstall all the accounts. The problem has disappeared so it must have been something in .icedove although I still don't know what it was.

Thanks for the help!

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2014/07/04, 17:33:33 »
No problem, glad you got it solved, maybe not the way you wanted, but now working ;)