Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [URGENT] Plasma 5 becoming the default for siduction soon  (Read 29223 times)

Offline vayu

• User
Re: [URGENT] Plasma 5 becoming the default for siduction soon
« Reply #60 on: 2015/07/07, 22:56:45 »
Dropbox syncs, but there is no icon in the tray and the notifier doesn't work.

I had this problem with synergy and claws mail and I have it solved. I'm sorry I'm busy now, I'll come back and describe in detail how I did it.  There's a package in the repository wmsystemtray, together with window rules that can get it working.  I managed to make the rules so that there's a little spot on the bottom of my screen where the icons go right next to my panel. It works great and doesn't look obtrusive.

Offline ghstryder

• User
« Reply #61 on: 2015/07/08, 15:52:19 »
Thanks vayu and dibl.

I'm in no hurry, the important part works, and since my first post the pop-up notification started working.

I read the upgrade instructions, and carefully made the changes. I had a phone call somewhere in there and managed to forget the part that read 'install kde-standard'. That made a bit of a difference in things, as you might imagine.  :-[

Santa

« Reply #62 on: 2015/07/10, 15:01:43 »
Hi,

a few minutes ago the KDE Frameworks libraries were updated to 5.12, I don't expect them to break anything, but if you experience any issue let me know.

EDIT: Please dist-upgrade if possible outside a kde session, otherwise you might not be able to reboot.
« Last Edit: 2015/07/10, 15:10:51 by Santa »

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #63 on: 2015/07/10, 15:45:22 »
All went smooth here  ;)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline clubex

• User
« Reply #64 on: 2015/07/10, 16:46:09 »
+! So far.

One exception, the extra sddm themes (ie. circles,elarum,maldives, maui) are no longer available for selection in systemsettings > Workspace Theme  > Splash Screen. Before the du I had to tinker with a file in  ./config (can't remember which at the moment) to get them selectable so the du must have overwritten that file.

If I find anything else lI'll et you know. anyway thanks again Sant for making the transition relatively painless.

Edit: At logout the maui splash was available for login but it and the others weren't available in in systemsettings. So the config wasn't overwritten. So I guess there is a still a problem with systemsettings.
« Last Edit: 2015/07/10, 17:09:18 by clubex »

Offline ghstryder

• User
« Reply #65 on: 2015/07/10, 17:07:37 »
All good here. I had klipper running and I notice that klipper was replaced with the KDE clipboard. Certainly not an issue.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #66 on: 2015/07/10, 17:22:32 »
Quote from: clubex
+! So far.

One exception, the extra sddm themes (ie. circles,elarum,maldives, maui) are no longer available for selection in systemsettings > Workspace Theme  > Splash Screen. Before the du I had to tinker with a file in  ./config (can't remember which at the moment) to get them selectable so the du must have overwritten that file.

If I find anything else lI'll et you know. anyway thanks again Sant for making the transition relatively painless.

Edit: At logout the maui splash was available for login but it and the others weren't available in in systemsettings. So the config wasn't overwritten. So I guess there is a still a problem with systemsettings.

No problem here --> systemsettings --> Startup and Shutdown

I never had to tinker with any config file ever.

Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline clubex

• User
« Reply #67 on: 2015/07/10, 17:28:48 »
Thanks piper.

I was looking in the wrong place!

Alas enior moments are coming thick and fast these days.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #68 on: 2015/07/10, 18:45:41 »
Quote from: clubex
Thanks piper.

I was looking in the wrong place!

Alas enior moments are coming thick and fast these days.

Yeah, 5 times for me in 10 minutes :) 

Offline ghstryder

• User
« Reply #69 on: 2015/07/12, 15:36:29 »
With today's du, I have a dropbox icon residing in the tray, so that issue is resolved.

Offline samoht

• User
« Reply #70 on: 2015/07/13, 11:00:24 »
@ghstryder,

have you installed wmsystemtray as prerequisite for dropbox tray icon?
I do not see it in the tray on my machine  :(
Greetings
Tom

Offline ghstryder

• User
« Reply #71 on: 2015/07/13, 15:00:42 »
I installed nautilus-dropbox. Other than that I have not done a thing specifically for dropbox.

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #72 on: 2015/07/13, 15:56:18 »
@ghstryder,

have you installed wmsystemtray as prerequisite for dropbox tray icon?
I do not see it in the tray on my machine  :(
Greetings
Tom

For dropbox to be working on ghstryder's system one of two things must have changed. Either dropbox updated it's system tray notification to the new style, or KDE updated to include the old style.  I haven't experimented to see if my applications that require the old notification style are now working without wmsystemtray.

I'm using wmsystemtray for synergy and claws mail.  When you run wmsystemtray, it will open as a regular window.  Once it is running and open, then if you run a program with the old style sytemtray notifications, they will deposit their icon in the wmsystemtray window.  That's how it works, they don't go in the task bar.

What you can do to make it more usable and convenient is use window rules in KDE systemsettings to make the window have no decorations or titles. You can make it have no focus, and you can make it smalll, and way in the corner next to your taskbar. I added a black background and a slight transparency as well, so against my dark desktop wallpaper it blends nicely next to the main taskbar. It looks and works very well.

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #73 on: 2015/07/13, 16:19:10 »
I also made a script to start it automatically.  I named it startapps. It's in my home directory and has the properties set to executable.

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/wmsystemtray --non-wmaker --bgcolor black &

Then I put a file named startapps.desktop in my ~/.config/autostart directory.
Code: [Select]
[Desktop Entry]
Categories=Utility
Comment[en_US]=Start wmsystemtray synergy and knotes
Comment=Start wmsystemtray synergy and knotes
Exec=~/startapps
GenericName[en_US]=
GenericName=
Icon=application-atom+xml
MimeType=
Name[en_US]=Startapps
Name=Startapps
NoDisplay=false
Path=
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DBUS-ServiceName=
X-DBUS-StartupType=unique
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

Then in systemsettings under window rules, I created a new rule.  I named it "settings for wmsystemtray" I used detect window properties to get many of these settings, then I tweaked them until I got what I wanted.

On the first tab Window matching;
Under Window class I have:
Exact match: wmsystemtray0 wmsystemtray
All the window types are selected.
Window title: Substring Match: wmsystemtray

On the second tab Size and Position:
Position: Force then I have an x,y coordinate appropriate for my screen size, for me on the 1920,180 screen to put it in the lower right corner as the photo shows is 1746,1051
Size: Force 170,29
Desktop has Force: All desktops
All else on that tab is left alone.

On the third tab Arrangement and Access I have:
Keep below, Force: Yes
Skip taskbar, Force: Yes
Skip Pager, Force: Yes
Skip switcher, Force: Yes

On the last tab Appearance & Fixes:
No titlebar and frame, Force: Yes
Active opacity, Force: 40%
Focus stealing prevention, Force: Extreme
Window type, Force: Normal Window

None of this is necessary if the latest KDE includes the old style taskbar notifications.  If it doesn't or on a KDE that doesn't, I'm very happy with how this workaround works for me.

hightime

« Reply #74 on: 2015/07/17, 15:05:28 »
I just upgraded three systems using option 'C'. Worked without any real problems.

I do note a few small issues with the new plasma:

- startup time from login to desktop seems to be a little longer than before
- no way to make the clock in the panel display in 24-hour format
- it doesn't restore saved sessions properly, and if you have windows open on several desktops they all get restored to the first desktop.