Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Just a quick Hello  (Read 7927 times)

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
[EN] Just a quick Hello
« Reply #15 on: 2013/03/17, 22:31:26 »
Quote from: "devil"
This is my girlfriends Harley, I am just visiting. We are doing a lot of riding in around Charleston SC right now.

Wow -- nice ride!

Yep, you're just over the hills from me -- I'm glad you made it across the water, devil.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

aaditya

Just a quick Hello
« Reply #16 on: 2013/09/06, 16:50:38 »
Hi! I am new here, and thinking of joining. I wanted to ask 2 things- I saw the name of the IRC somewhere, but not able to find it now. Could anyone post it here?
Also I would like to know the difference between siduction and sid, that is, do you guys have seperate repositories from sid where you pull in packages from sid, check for breakages/ apply patches, etc and them upload then to your repos?
In simple words, is it a simpler/user friendly version of Debian Unstable?
Sorry if I have posted it in the wrong place but I couldnt find a "New Users Introduce Yourself Here" thread.
Thanks!
-Aaditya :D

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
Just a quick Hello
« Reply #17 on: 2013/09/06, 19:30:04 »
Greetings, and Welcome!

IRC is at irc.oftc.net #siduction

siduction is Debian Sid.  We use the official sid repos for all Debian packages.  The siduction repo provides the distro-unique packages, artwork, and in some cases specially-adapted (ie. fixed) packages -- driver packages, etc.

Of course other repos can be used if needed (debian-multimedia.org, debian experimental, kdenext, etc.), but the new user is advised to start with the default repos, and learn about the others as needed, and with suitable guidance.

I would say it is a "user-friendlier" Debian Unstable, but there is a reason why the first forum on the list is "Upgrade Warnings" -- the user does need to check that before upgrading, because of the occasional packaging issues in sid.

Feel free to ask questions here or on IRC -- and look through the prior forum posts to see the types of issues that users can run into.

Also, take a quick look through the excellent manual -- link on left.  Especially review the section on upgrading and package management -- this is where you will need to learn a couple of new rules if you haven't been a sid user before.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

aaditya

Just a quick Hello
« Reply #18 on: 2013/09/06, 20:30:26 »
Quote from: "dibl"
Greetings, and Welcome!

IRC is at irc.oftc.net #siduction

siduction is Debian Sid.  We use the official sid repos for all Debian packages.  The siduction repo provides the distro-unique packages, artwork, and in some cases specially-adapted (ie. fixed) packages -- driver packages, etc.

Of course other repos can be used if needed (debian-multimedia.org, debian experimental, kdenext, etc.), but the new user is advised to start with the default repos, and learn about the others as needed, and with suitable guidance.

I would say it is a "user-friendlier" Debian Unstable, but there is a reason why the first forum on the list is "Upgrade Warnings" -- the user does need to check that before upgrading, because of the occasional packaging issues in sid.

Feel free to ask questions here or on IRC -- and look through the prior forum posts to see the types of issues that users can run into.

Also, take a quick look through the excellent manual -- link on left.  Especially review the section on upgrading and package management -- this is where you will need to learn a couple of new rules if you haven't been a sid user before.

Thank You for your help! :D
Will look into the manual and spend some time on the irc. :)

pam

Re: Just a quick Hello
« Reply #19 on: 2013/11/13, 11:05:41 »
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen.
I am pam. Admin at Ultimate Edition forum and mod at UE oz forum.
I have been using siduction for a year and linux for 11 years. Its the best linux OS along with Arch. Very very stable and reliable. Installed proprietary nvidia drivers without a glitch.
I never thought linux could be this strong. You guys proved me wrong. I know debian is very stable but is primarily targeted towards multi processor systems. I mean you cant really get all the bling and bleeding edge goodies for new hardware and upgrades too.
Congrats on this wonderful OS. Using with xfce, kde 4.11 and gnome shell ::) , xmonad and awesome. I cant wait to see what AMD comes up with for GCC and drivers for A10-7850k and see how it runs on it.

Oktoberfest sind fertig aber prost!!
Ich spreche ein bischen deutsche aber nicht so gut.
Aufwiedersehen.

From India.
Tschuss.

Offline devil

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Just a quick Hello
« Reply #20 on: 2013/11/13, 23:03:47 »
Hi Pam,

thanks for your appraisal, we basicaly just ship what we want to use for ourselves. I guess that is always a good vantage point and that makes free software usualy better than proprietary stuff.  Have fun with siduction, and welcome.

greetz
devil