Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] (solved) is it possible to simulate right click with left click + control?  (Read 2266 times)

viniosity

I'm coming from a mac where I could simulate a right click by either holding two fingers on the mousepad and clicking OR holding down command and clicking.

On my XPS13 I'm finding that most times I try to right click I still left click instead. So rather than fight it, I'd like to just hit control and left click to bring up the right click action. Is such a thing possible? I know that you can generate a right click using xdotool click 3 but how to bind that to control + left click?
« Last Edit: 2014/07/28, 04:27:09 by piper »

Gabriel_M

The software which makes this possible is called mouseemu, search for “mouseemu” and install it.

su

apt-get install mouseemu
Mouseemu’s default configuration file is stored in /etc/default/mouseemu.

su
nano /etc/default/mouseemu
The file will open in nano.

This is the line which will make the correct right-click substitute:
#RIGHT_CLICK=”-right 29 272″      # Left Ctrl + click
Uncomment both line by removing the # at the start of the line and save the file. Now, open the terminal, and restart the mouseemu service:

su
/etc/init.d/mouseemu restart
Ctrl-click should start working immediately.

viniosity

Weird, I tried that and it didn't seem to do anything. I had high hopes though. Is it possible there's a keybinding conflict with XFCE or something?

viniosity

I'm just noting that I managed to solve this:

Code: [Select]

sudo apt-get install xdotool
sudo apt-get install xbindkeys

Next, create a .xbindkeysrc with this in it:

Code: [Select]

"xdotool click 3"
  alt + b:1 + Release

You can exchange alt for a different modifier such as Control if you like. Props to this article which helped me figure it out.