Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  D-U-Warning: Jessie released last weekend of April  (Read 7720 times)

Offline tuxic

• User
Re: D-U-Warning: Jessie release this weekend.
« Reply #15 on: 2015/04/27, 22:06:17 »
yes, I read the apt-output, etc, but this obviously doesn't qualify me, calling myself "I really know what I do"

If you read that apt will remove 129 packages... I think that you will say NO!!!
"Many people live and die..., and all they do is process groceries."
                  H. Peavey

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #16 on: 2015/04/27, 22:30:53 »
Hello cas,
we are not talking about secret knowledge but just normal handling of issues.

"Know what you are doing!"  means major breakage is accepted.

You have prepared your rescue media (with network access) and checked your recent backups.
You know how to chroot into a broken system to diagnose and repair the damage (see our manual).
At least you know how to ask for help on the net. It will take some time.

Well, all this is useful in any similar case caused by  operating error, hardware malfunction, theft, fire or water damage.
Enjoy your self-confidence!

greetings
musca

„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

KrunchTime

« Reply #17 on: 2015/04/28, 04:18:42 »
@Millie:  Yes, it has been a while since the last stable release, so you are a bit spoiled by having only used Siduction for a year; especially the last year prior to a new stable release.

@cas:  I'm not saying to ignore some of the statements/warnings in this thread, but don't let such statements/warnings discourage you from continuing to use Siduction.  Like anything, using Debian Unstable is a learning experience.  Yes, you will make mistakes.  Yes, you will get frustrated.  However, you will learn a lot in the process as well.  My brief time with Siduction last year increased my Linux knowledge exponentially.

A skill that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread is knowing when and how to place packages on hold.  I'm still new at the skill, so unfortunately I can't pass along any words of wisdom to you.  Perhaps someone with more experience can respond and provide such info.

On the other hand, if you really don't have the time, there's nothing wrong with that.  Shelve using Siduction or Debian Unstable until you do have the time.  ;)

lub

« Reply #18 on: 2015/04/30, 18:56:25 »
A skill that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread is knowing when and how to place packages on hold.

apt-mark hold <package>
apt-mark unhold <package>

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
« Reply #19 on: 2015/04/30, 19:43:02 »
Thx lub!
It's as easy as duct tape and wd40. You don't need an engineering flowchart.

btw, Package python3.4 version 3.4.3-5 has arrived and solved some problem.

greetings
musca
« Last Edit: 2015/04/30, 19:47:06 by musca »
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #20 on: 2015/04/30, 21:43:00 »
I have a policy I learned the hard way of the cliche, when in doubt, do without. I do my upgrades often, but I skip at even a feeling. Even with my hard lessons, I've loved my experience with siduction. I think I'm coming close to two years with the same system I started with.  I broke it a couple times, being dumb, but being not entirely dumb and with great help here, always got it back, usually with a little patience for it to resolve upstream.

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #21 on: 2015/04/30, 21:43:31 »
I better knock on wood now :)

KrunchTime

« Reply #22 on: 2015/05/01, 01:22:07 »
apt-mark hold <package>
apt-mark unhold <package>
The how part is easy.  Knowing when to place a package on hold and when to remove the hold requires more knowledge/experience.

@vayu:  Regarding your first post, sometimes it's better just to place problem packages on hold rather than skipping upgrades.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #23 on: 2015/05/01, 01:28:34 »
@KrunchTime - i can't suggest holds at all - they should be the last resort. Mostly it should be sufficent to wait with dist-upgrades some times, in case of longer standing bugs we try to provide a fixed package. For the die hards - it is possible to make a system upgrade without using apt-get dist-upgrade. Just use apt-get install $foo - leave out the packages that could do any harm.

Edit: It can happend that one has longer standing problems with the upgrades - a good start is to figure it out in IRC, if others don't have the problems, sometimes apt behave a little bit strange on fast moving targets like sid.
« Last Edit: 2015/05/01, 01:31:40 by melmarker »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

KrunchTime

« Reply #24 on: 2015/05/01, 01:46:49 »
@melmarker:  Thank you for your input regarding holds.  In general, I agree with you - holds should be a last resort.

I've also performed upgrades without apt-get dist-upgrade as you've described.  It can be quite cumbersome to perform upgrades using that method.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #25 on: 2015/05/01, 02:22:27 »
Normally™ that shouldn't be necessary. But we are in rough times - so i do it on a regular base. If packages are hold back, there are reasons for it - and if there are no simple reasons (ongoing transitions, multiarch) i want to know these reasons mostly. And yes, its pain in the ass.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

KrunchTime

Re: D-U-Warning: Jessie released last weekend.
« Reply #26 on: 2015/05/04, 07:49:12 »
@melmarker:  Seems like a good candidate for a script.