Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] How important is frequent du?  (Read 3430 times)

Offline vayu

• User
[solved] How important is frequent du?
« on: 2014/09/11, 19:29:16 »
I know we should be doing updates often. How important is that and what does it affect?  I'm nervous because my du list of packages keeps getting bigger. It's up to 780 needing to be upgraded.  But I can't upgrade because it want's to remove kmail stuff.  I'd rather not but should I uninstall kmail so I can perform the du?
« Last Edit: 2014/09/17, 08:58:14 by musca »

belze

Re: How important is frequent du?
« Reply #1 on: 2014/09/11, 19:42:26 »
i was in the same situation. I tried holding kdepim kontact kmail and other related packages but it did not work, i had some libraries upgraded (something about kresouces and akonadi) and i got my kdepim messed up. I worked a lot to restore kmail (i really need it, and i need a recent kmail version!) but now i'm not willing to update my system to avoid a complete showdown!

edit: i forgot to say thank to devs team for the effort of keeping siduction the BEST distro out there. I don't want my post could ever be intended as a blame!
« Last Edit: 2014/09/11, 19:45:49 by belze »

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #2 on: 2014/09/11, 21:01:48 »
There isn't much to discuss. If you use sid(uction) it gets complicated if you wait too long.

And recently we had a thread in the software section, where the already completed perl transition, which however was ommitted by the user, prevented further d-u_s. It was solvable, but it was an unnecessary hassle for all parties.

As to kmail:
I once and for all solved mail problems by runing exim4 localy and whichever IMAP-mail-client I like and when I like it. I really hated it being dependent on some POS software.
kmail isn't one of the clients I use, but currently, tested 5 minutes ago, I could install it on my system without removing anything.

Which proves "it gets complicated over time, when you do not d-u".
« Last Edit: 2014/09/11, 21:14:20 by michaa7 »
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2014/09/11, 21:10:04 »
I think it was melmarker who said it best:  "Rolling needs to roll."   :P
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2014/09/11, 22:40:54 »
It sounds like I should make it a priority to getting an upgrade done.  So, I removed kmail and the repository listing for kdepin-ng but du still wants to remove 12 packages.  I'm thinking since it seems they are related to the kdepim-ng and I'm not trying to keep kmail2 running anymore should I just let them go?

Here are the packages du wants to remove:
Code: [Select]
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libeventviews4 libincidenceeditorsng4 libksieveui4 libmailcommon4 libmailimporter4 libmarblewidget18
  libmessagecomposer4 libmessageviewer4 libnoteshared4 libpimcommon4 libtemplateparser4 libvlccore7

Offline michaa7

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2014/09/12, 01:32:41 »
libvlccore7 is replaced by libvlccore8. The rest I don't know, but they (libs) wouldn't go if an application depended on one of them.
Ok, you can't code, but you still might be able to write a bug report for Debian's sake

Offline vayu

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2014/09/12, 03:20:57 »
libvlccore7 is replaced by libvlccore8. The rest I don't know, but they (libs) wouldn't go if an application depended on one of them.

Thanks. All went well.
« Last Edit: 2014/09/12, 03:24:50 by vayu »

belze

Re: [solved] How important is frequent du?
« Reply #7 on: 2014/09/19, 10:29:24 »
I'm posting here, correct me if it's the wrong place.
I thank we need suggestions and to be informed on what to do about KDE on Debian Sid.
KDE Debian Team is updating packages quite often (i can't believe this!) and in order to keep the system safe while upgrading (as soon as possible, right?) this can be a problem; I'm experiencing (in the last weeks) troubles especially with kdepim. Anyway kde-4.14.1 is hitting sid and i'm waiting to upgrade. Any advice is welcome :)