Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Trouble booting Siduction 16.3.0 after installation.  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
Hello everybody,
I've recently installed Siduction and unfortunately when I try to boot it up I find that the boot up text breaks up after a few seconds and I get a screenful of dots and dashes which fade away into blackness as the boot up progresses,, so I never get to the log in stage. I think it's probably a video driver problem but I'm not sure.
I've got a 2008 Acer Midi tower computer with NVidia GeForce 8400 graphics. Could anyone please tell me what's going wrong?

Thanks in advance,
CP .
« Last Edit: 2019/03/14, 22:38:02 by Colonel Panic »

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
Re: Trouble booting Siduction 16.3.0 after installation.
« Reply #1 on: 2019/03/14, 22:50:11 »
1) You can come to IRC and ask for a new build (devil, agaida, or myself will build one for you.

2) what happens if you do ctrl+alt+f1, can you login as root and do

Code: [Select]
apt update; apt install nvidia-legacy-340xx --install-recommends
3) your video card finally died :(

4) I would go with option 1 if option 2 don't work   ;)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #2 on: 2019/03/14, 22:52:15 »
The maybe better solution: Spend 30$ on an old computer (half the age)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2019/03/14, 22:56:02 »
I agree, but was trying to be nice

piper3, piper4, computers are older, piper4 has nvidia 7900  ;)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
« Reply #4 on: 2019/03/15, 00:36:36 »
Thanks to everyone who's replied. I know my video card is still functional because I'm in a different distro now (AntiX) and the display is fine.
Piper, I tried ctrl+alt+f1 but it didn't make any difference to the bootup - I still ended up with the same screen of rapidly fading garbage.
Thanks also for your suggestion that I should install some new nvidia drivers. I might try chrooting over to siduction from here and seeing if I can install nvidia drivers that way.
« Last Edit: 2019/03/15, 00:39:50 by Colonel Panic »

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2019/03/15, 08:49:21 »
I'd also like to say that although I'm new to the forum, I'm not new to Siduction; I tried an earlier version of the distro and liked it which is why I wanted to try the latest version too. Thanks for making me welcome.

[EDIT: I'm following the advice on this page, chrooting in from Salix;

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-latest-nvidia-drivers-on-debian-9-stretch-linux

It's not ideal because Siduction is based on Sid rather than Stretch, but frankly I don;t have any better ideas right now. Thanks for reading this and fingers crossed that it works.
« Last Edit: 2019/03/15, 13:10:28 by Colonel Panic »

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #6 on: 2019/03/15, 13:08:55 »
IMHO I would still grab a new release from IRC, will only take 10-15 minutes of your time.

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
« Reply #7 on: 2019/03/15, 13:11:42 »
Thanks. If the NVidia driver install doesn't work maybe I will.

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #8 on: 2019/03/15, 13:15:02 »
The build your trying to install is from 2018-05-12, close to a year.

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2019/05/14, 09:33:35 »
Thanks for replying. A quick update; I've since acquired a new computer (really, an even older second hand one than my Acer) and siduction installed just fine on it. (and I've just performed a full distro upgrade too).
Thanks for all your help anyway

Best wishes,

CP .
P.S. I don't know how to use IRC, but maybe I ought to learn.

Offline Colonel Panic

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2019/06/07, 20:15:50 »
A further update; I've just updated my installation with no obvious problems. I'm not too worried about getting a new ISO at the moment, though I might at a later date.
Thanks again to everyone who's offered help and advice.