Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] [SOLVED] Installing ZuluCrypt  (Read 12061 times)

Offline frapelli

• User
    • http://www.citta-invisibile.it
[EN] [SOLVED] Installing ZuluCrypt
« Reply #15 on: 2012/09/20, 00:27:24 »
Hi mhogomchungu

Sorry for delay, I lost hopes to get a solution, and did not check the thread for a while.

I retied Zulucrypt, and it seems to work now. Actually it create/mount partitions only as root, but it seems reasonable, and user car read/write after changing permission. I think the problem was that in my already encrypted partition there was a couple of file with names written in a sort of illegal character (kind of question mark) that prevented changing permissions for the whole partition. I deleted that file, could at last change permissions, and now I can read/write also as user.

I am using ZC version 4.5.0, installed from siduction repository (experimental).

I marked "SOLVED" this thread, although there is still, maybe, the issue about installing ZC on other Sid distros (maybe also Debian distros?)

Output of zuluCrypt-test seems OK, as far as I can understand.

Thank for your help, and thanks for Zulucrypt. I really missed it before you and maybe other developers created it.

Code: [Select]
root@siductionbox:/home/francesco# zuluCrypt-test
start test

creating mount point "/tmp/testing of volumes"

creating a plain file "/tmp/testing plain"
creating a luks file "/tmp/testing luks"

creating a plain volume
SUCCESS: volume created successfully

opening "/tmp/testing plain" volume using passphrase
SUCCESS: Volume opened successfully

closing "/tmp/testing plain" volume
SUCCESS: volume closed successfully

opening "/tmp/testing plain" volume using keyfile

closing "/tmp/testing plain" volume

creating a luks volume
SUCCESS: volume created successfully

creating a backup of the volume luks header is strongly adviced.
Please read documentation on why this is important

opening "/tmp/testing luks" volume using passphrase

closing "/tmp/testing luks" volume                                                                                                                            

opening "/tmp/testing luks" volume using keyfile

closing "/tmp/testing luks"

check keys slots in use

add key to luks volume using passphrase and passphrase
SUCCESS: key added successfully

add key to luks volume using keyfile and keyfile

add key to luks volume using passphrase and keyfile

add key to luks volume using keyfile and passphrase

check keys slots in use

remove added key using a passphrase
SUCCESS: key removed successfully

remove added key using a keyfile
SUCCESS: key removed successfully

check keys slots in use
deleting testing files
deleting mount point "/tmp/testing of volumes"

check to see if there are any undeleted zuluCrypt-xxx mappers
all mappers are deleted, good
end test

mhogomchungu

[SOLVED] Installing ZuluCrypt
« Reply #16 on: 2013/04/26, 23:10:03 »
Quote from: "frapelli"
Hi mhogomchungu

Sorry for delay, I lost hopes to get a solution, and did not check the thread for a while.

I retied Zulucrypt, and it seems to work now. Actually it create/mount partitions only as root, but it seems reasonable, and user car read/write after changing permission.

You took so long to respond,i,too,stop checking for your respond and i did not get/notice your response notification email for some reason.I just remembered this thread and came back to it to see if there are any responces.

It should be possible to create and open volumes from normal user accounts.If you are not able to do so then you are hitting a bug somewhere.

version 4.5.0 is too old now and whatever problem it may have,they are probably solved in the latest version.

I now do tests on pclinuxos,ubuntu,opensuse and fedora so things should also work on other debian systems too,the build issue reported in this thread should now be gone.

The current version is 4.6.2.This version has support for management of truecrypt volumes too and hence its a perfect substitute for truecrypt GUI application if you also have truecrypt volumes.

If you guys want a "one stop solution" for CLI and GUI based management of cryptsetup and truecrypt encrypted containers then zuluCrypt is your answer.

It also now ships with an additional tool called "zuluMount",it is a front end to zuluCrypt and its purpose is "to be used as a general purpose tool that mount and unmount zuluCrypt supported encrypted volumes as well as unencrypted volumes and it can be used as a substitute to udisks,pmount and related tools."

I will also ask/recommend an update to the recent version as version 4.5.0 is just too old.

The project page for more info is located at: http://code.google.com/p/zulucrypt/