Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] siduction kde-lite  (Read 9875 times)

Yeti

[EN] siduction kde-lite
« on: 2013/04/14, 10:39:45 »
Hello siductionusers,

I have installed 2 weeks ago on my PC ridersonthestorm-KDE.

It runs very good, but there too much programs, which I don't need.

It's possible, that the next release will have kde-lite (with only basic programs)?

Regards
yeti

Offline DeepDayze

• User
RE: siduction kde-lite
« Reply #1 on: 2013/04/14, 16:26:34 »
You can install the siduction No-X version and only install what you need. Hope that helps

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
RE: siduction kde-lite
« Reply #2 on: 2013/04/14, 18:38:02 »
I am waiting for KLyDE although nox is good too
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: siduction kde-lite
« Reply #3 on: 2013/04/14, 20:41:14 »
Quote from: "piper"
I am waiting for KLyDE although nox is good too

KlyDE sounds like a winner so perhaps a KLyDE spin of siduction could be in the cards and that would be great for older systems as well as for minimal KDE setups

Also if you don't want certain programs in the standard siduction install you can remove them fairly easily

Offline cryptosteve

• User
Re: RE: siduction kde-lite
« Reply #4 on: 2013/04/14, 21:47:05 »
There will be no kde-lite version in the near future. We discussed this in the beginning but we choose to release only kde(-full) (which also does not fit on a single CD).
- born to create drama -
CS Virtual Travel Bug: VF6G5D

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: RE: siduction kde-lite
« Reply #5 on: 2013/04/14, 23:39:36 »
Would it be possible for one of the KDE experts to write just the list of needed KDE packages to be added to nox to make a functional/minimal KDE environment?  I'm sure it's kde-runtime, kdm, etc. but I don't know what are mandatory in "etc."

If we could have that guidance, then there would be no need for a KDE-lite flavor of ISO -- we just put the guidance in the manual and those who want it can install it on nox.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline piper

• User
RE: Re: RE: siduction kde-lite
« Reply #6 on: 2013/04/15, 04:17:01 »
Well, if you build siduction, take a look at /pyfll/packages/packages.d

kde-basic
Code: [Select]
desc = """
Lite KDE desktop Applications
"""

packages = """
gwenview
k3b
kcalc
khelpcenter4
kmix
knemo
#kppp
ksnapshot
okular
okular-extra-backends
"""
kde-desktop
desc = """
Normal KDE desktop Applications
"""

packages = """
#akregator
digikam
  #iceweasel
kate
kcharselect
#kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
#kdepim
#kdepim-kresources
#kdepim-strigi-plugins
#kdepim-wizards
kdf
kgpg
#kipi-plugins-common
#kmail
kmenuedit
konq-plugins
#kontact
#kopete
kpartsplugin
krdc
#krusader
#ktorrent
#kwalletmanager
  polkit-kde-1
reportbug-ng
system-config-printer-kde
  #strigi-client
ttf-kochi-gothic
virtuoso-minimal
  wpagui
yakuake
"""
kde-essential
desc = """
Minimal KDE desktop apps.
"""

packages = """
ark
akonadi-backend-sqlite
  kaffeine
kalternatives
kde-config-cddb
kde-plasma-desktop
kdm
kgamma
  kmenuedit
konversation
phonon-backend-gstreamer
phonon-backend-vlc
plasma-widgets-addons
        qtcurve
"""

Anything that is #, you might want to un-#, this is from one of my personal builds.

You would also have to look at /pyfll/packages and sift thru the file kde and look at deps and the deps will be at /pyfll/packages/packages.d and edit those too

It's a timely process to make it lite and with kde getting bigger all the time, I agree with the devs about a kde-lite, a no-go,  my own private version is big 1.4 gigs and I don't call that lite, but I have added alot of apps and as my last 3 builds I can't build with mythtv so it makes it even smaller than what it was, years ago I would build a kitchen sink, now, it's pretty much what I use
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline DeepDayze

• User
Re: RE: Re: RE: siduction kde-lite
« Reply #7 on: 2013/04/15, 05:07:35 »
Quote from: "dibl"
Would it be possible for one of the KDE experts to write just the list of needed KDE packages to be added to nox to make a functional/minimal KDE environment?  I'm sure it's kde-runtime, kdm, etc. but I don't know what are mandatory in "etc."

If we could have that guidance, then there would be no need for a KDE-lite flavor of ISO -- we just put the guidance in the manual and those who want it can install it on nox.

A nice idea would be to include some scripts that can be run to install the packages to set up a base install of KDE for example

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #8 on: 2013/04/15, 17:31:57 »
Quote from: "piper"

You would also have to look at /pyfll/packages and sift thru the file kde and look at deps and the deps will be at /pyfll/packages/packages.d and edit those too

kdm depends on kde-runtime (which depends on a bunch of libraries), so that will be pulled in when kdm is installed.

Given that, as soon as time and empty disk drives permit, I'm going to try a nox install, and then install your "kde-essential" list, and see if I end up with a functional KDE desktop.  If that works, I'll write a short paragraph for the manual on the topic, and we can call it "available for users".
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
« Reply #9 on: 2013/04/15, 17:33:27 »
piper, dibl, deepdayze: for those how want a kde-light it might be a good idea to create some kind of meta-package. If i would need some package like this i would fork the siduction-dev-pack and fill in the packages i need.

In a second step i would eventually add settings that i need/want every time i install this. :)
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: siduction kde-lite
« Reply #10 on: 2013/04/15, 17:40:57 »
The meta-package would be great, but it would also create a new workload to maintain it.  :(

Trying to avoid all work possible, wouldn't it be easier to write a "recipe" for users to follow, and then only the recipe needs maintained.

Offline agaida

• User
    • http://g-com.eu
« Reply #11 on: 2013/04/15, 17:43:27 »
dibl: If someone is interested in such a package, he should maintain it. And btw - its less effort to maintain such a package than to maintain a wikipage with the recipe.
There's this special biologist word we use for "stable". It's "dead". ~ Jack Cohen

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #12 on: 2013/04/16, 07:11:13 »
I don't really have a need for a light version, I'm happy with what I build for myself, but,  I can see where others might want a light(er) version (kde).

Some output from others on the apps they use/want is going to be the key.

Dependencies, etc are major factors as is going thru /pyfll/packages/packages.d (deps) and trimming that down to what is absolutely necessary to build/boot, etc

Offline piper

• User
« Reply #13 on: 2013/04/23, 19:27:51 »
If anyone is interested in trying klyde out either with vbox or a live cd, here you go

I am running it in vbox at the moment, will have time to test further after work

Offline slaughterer

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2013/04/26, 14:35:11 »
If you can create a minimal kde siduction ver during the nexr release i will be for ever thankful!!!The are a lot of packages which I don't use at all!We can skip even web-browser...