Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [EN] Very high cpu load with lightdm/X  (Read 2644 times)

eQuacky

[EN] Very high cpu load with lightdm/X
« on: 2015/06/12, 13:26:31 »
Hi all

I have an older asus eee pc which I am using just for printing sporadically. Updates are done frequently by console.

After end of freeze I can remember for upgrades of lightdm, lightdm greeter etc. but never tried out the installed lxqt up to couple of days ago where I had to notice that the graphical UI run almost with 100 % on both processor cores and it needed at least minutes to execute any orders.

Maybe someone could give a hint where the annoying issue resides.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: Very high cpu load with lightdm/X
« Reply #1 on: 2015/06/12, 14:25:44 »
One could leave X (best with systemctl stop lightdm) and delete the user configurations for lxqt.

rm -r .config/lxqt - after that start lightdm again and login. LXQt should behave fine now - it may be that some 'old' settings causes that behaviour, didn't find the the exact entry yet - but LXQt it a very fast moving target and such breakages can and will happend until the switch to kf5 components and Q 5.4.2 (5.5 later) is completed.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

eQuacky

« Reply #2 on: 2015/06/15, 09:52:40 »
@melmarker

thanks for reply, but didn't help.

Deleted both .config/lxqt in /home and /etc/skel/ after having stopped lightdm. After restarting still same behavior with that high cpu load.

Any further tips?

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: 2015/06/15, 16:35:20 »
Does htop show what process(es) is/are running up the CPU?

FYI, I did have an Asus EEE PC 701 some years ago, and it has its limitations, with a 630Mhz CPU.  A browser with multiple tabs would push it hard, for example.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2015/06/15, 19:27:50 »
https://github.com/lxde/lxqt/issues/686 - eventually more detailed informations (which process runs @100% may be helpful)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

eQuacky

« Reply #5 on: 2015/06/16, 15:05:00 »
@dibl
It's probably a better machine (eee 1005ha) than you had. It also went like clockwork before upgrading after releasing of debian freeze. Only starting of bigger apps needed a little bit longer to come up. But once started no probs. Multiple tabs in qupzilla or iceweasel were never a problem.

@melmarker
PID 1027 in following light.txt is the evildoer which runs up to 100 %.

eQuacky

« Reply #6 on: 2015/06/22, 16:02:58 »
had a deeper look on my first laptop - Thinkpad X121e.

Same behavior with lxqt and slightly less load with cinnamon. KDE and Xfce didn't show that effect. Both are running fine. All flavors are using lightdm.