Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  full-upgrade will remove dropbox, libhdf5-103 and libpango1.0-0  (Read 4820 times)

orca

Hi there,
Four days ago, I have made a pristine installation of KDE amd64 siduction in my desktop, wiping out the former one. I used the latest iso from https://isobuilds.siduction.org/, dated 2020-02-16. It worked seamlessly. Right after the installation, I did my first full-upgrade, seamlessly as well.
Since my personal data are backed up at Dropbox, I installed its client package, downloaded from its official site (I guess, since I did not write down this  :( ), as the commands below seem to confirm:
Code: [Select]
# apt policy dropbox
dropbox:
  Installed: 2020.03.04
  Candidate: 2020.03.04
  Version table:
 *** 2020.03.04 500
        500 http://linux.dropbox.com/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
# apt policy nautilus-dropbox
nautilus-dropbox:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2020.03.04
  Version table:
     2020.03.04 500
        500 http://linux.dropbox.com/debian sid/main i386 Packages
        500 http://linux.dropbox.com/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
     2019.02.14-1 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/non-free amd64 Packages

Parenthetically, by the way, the command apt search dropbox gives:
# apt search dropbox
[suppressed output]
dolphin-plugins/unstable,now 4:19.08.1-1+b1 amd64 [installed]
  plugins for Dolphin

dropbox/sid 2020.03.04 i386
  cloud synchronization engine - CLI and Nautilus extension
[more suppressed output]

which might indicate dropbox is not installed! I really do not understand how this does not contradict the output from apt policy dropbox above...

Anyway, when I rehearse doing a second full-upgrade, I get:
# apt full-upgrade -s
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libbind9-161 libboost-atomic1.67.0 libboost-chrono1.67.0 libcpupower2 libdns-export1107 libdns1107 libdns1110
  libept1.5.0 libgeos-3.8.0 libirs161 libisc-export1104 libisc1104 libisc1105 libisccc161 libisccfg163
  liblwres161 libmicrodns0 libmypaint-1.3-0 libnautilus-extension1a liboauth0 libokular5core8 libpangox-1.0-0
  libproj15 libprotobuf-lite17 libprotobuf17 libre2-5 libstartup-notification0
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  dropbox libhdf5-103 libpango1.0-0
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libdatrie-dev libhdf5-103-1 libhdf5-hl-100 liborcus-parser-0.15-0 libthai-dev
  linux-headers-5.5.14-towo.1-siduction-amd64 linux-image-5.5.14-towo.1-siduction-amd64
The following packages will be upgraded:
  cpp-9 crda g++-9 gcc-10-base gcc-9 gcc-9-base gfortran-9 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0
  gtk-update-icon-cache hpijs-ppds hwdata intel-media-va-driver lib32gcc-s1 lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 libapparmor1
  libasan5 libatomic1 libblas3 libcc1-0 libcfitsio8 libcommons-compress-java libgcc-9-dev libgcc-s1 libgcc1
  libgdal26 libgfortran-9-dev libgfortran5 libgomp1 libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common libhpmud0 libitm1
  liblapack3 liblsan0 libnetcdf15 libnetfilter-conntrack3 libnftables1 libnftnl11 libnss-myhostname
  libnss-mymachines libnss-systemd libobjc-9-dev libobjc4 libopencv-calib3d4.2 libopencv-core4.2
  libopencv-features2d4.2 libopencv-flann4.2 libopencv-highgui4.2 libopencv-imgcodecs4.2 libopencv-imgproc4.2
  libopencv-ml4.2 libopencv-objdetect4.2 libopencv-videoio4.2 liborcus-0.15-0 libpam-systemd libpango-1.0-0
  libpango1.0-dev libpangocairo-1.0-0 libpangoft2-1.0-0 libpangoxft-1.0-0 libplexus-io-java libpython3.7
  libpython3.7-minimal libpython3.7-stdlib libpython3.8 libpython3.8-minimal libpython3.8-stdlib libquadmath0
  libre2-6 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libssl1.1 libstdc++-9-dev libstdc++6 libsystemd0 libtsan0 libubsan1
  libudev1 libva-drm2 libva-wayland2 libva-x11-2 libva2 linux-headers-siduction-amd64
  linux-image-siduction-amd64 nano needrestart nftables opencv-data openssl ovmf pango1.0-tools
  printer-driver-hpcups printer-driver-hpijs printer-driver-postscript-hp python3-certifi python3-gdal
  python3-pycurl python3-requests python3-setools python3-urllib3 python3.7 python3.7-minimal python3.8
  python3.8-minimal rake selinux-policy-dev setools systemd systemd-container systemd-coredump systemd-sysv
  udev va-driver-all xserver-common xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-legacy
119 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Remv dropbox [2020.03.04]

As you can see, dropbox would be removed, as well as 2 other packages. I am not very much concerned with these last removals, since, it seems, they would be replaced by equivalent or more uptodate (?) ones.What bothers me is the dropbox package removal.

Should I let the full-upgrade go on? I cannot put dropbox on hold because this sparks a whole lot of other dependencies (libpango1.0-0, libgtksourceview2.0-0, etc) which should be put on hold as well, which does not seem wise... After the full-upgrade I might perhaps install dropbox again; does that make sense? Does anyone here has a dropbox package installed after a full-upgrade within the last 3 days?
Thanks in advance.

Online hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
@orca
The best is to wait.
What you can do is to "cherry-pick" the upgradable packages if you are not patient ;)
If shit happens, try to install all needed stuff from testing (as long as it is possible)!

What you can do is to write to dropbox to change the dependencies to libpango-1.0-0 because libpango1.0-0 is going to be removed in debian sid/unstable, see bug https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=954217#10 !!!

orca

I will wait then.

Thanks in advance

Offline tranquil

• User
...because libpango1.0-0 is going to be removed in debian sid/unstable, see bug https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=954217#10 !!!

Thank you for that. I'll let Slimjet go and wait for the Slimjet developer(s) change their code to remove reliance on libpango1.0-0.
Dual-booting Debian Stable and Unstable with Openbox window manager and Tint2 panel.

Online hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
hi,

please write a bug-report/email to "dropbox" and "Slimjet" and explain them what happens in the near future with libpango1.0-0 (it is only a transitional package)  in debian unstable and testing and please them to change the dependencies to libpango-1.0-0.

I reported it to anydesk, maybe they react and change the dependencies, who knows ;)

orca

Dear all,
Since I pay for a Dropbox Plus plan, I am entitled to send a (sort of priority) message to their technical support, which I did a few minutes ago, describing the problem and asking them to change the dependency from the transitional libpango1.0-0 package to libpango-1.0-0, as for Debian testing and unstable. I hope they fix it soon and if I have any feedback, I will post it here.
Cheers

Offline harley-peter

• User
Also here a du wants to remove some packages:
Die folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT:
  anydesk flashplugin-nonfree install-usb-gui libabiword-2.8 libpango1.0-0 libpolkit-gtk-1-0 xfprint4 xulrunner-22.0

I think the cause is also lippango.

Online hendrikL

• Administrator
  • User
  • Gravatar
Also here a du wants to remove some packages:
Die folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT:
  anydesk flashplugin-nonfree install-usb-gui libabiword-2.8 libpango1.0-0 libpolkit-gtk-1-0 xfprint4 xulrunner-22.0

I think the cause is also lippango.

Pretty dead, or?
libabiword-2.8  libpolkit-gtk-1-0 xfprint4 xulrunner-22.0
~$ LANG=C apt policy libabiword-2.8  libpolkit-gtk-1-0 xfprint4 xulrunner-22.0
N: Unable to locate package libabiword-2.8
N: Unable to locate package libpolkit-gtk-1-0
N: Unable to locate package xfprint4
N: Unable to locate package xulrunner-22.0

~$ LANG=C apt search install-usb-gui
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done

~$ LANG=C apt policy install-usb-gui
N: Unable to locate package install-usb-gui

Quote from: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=954217#10
[
[...]
The only one of those packages that still exists in unstable is
flashplugin-nonfree, in contrib (which is broken in many other ways, and
insecure). #946889 tracks the removal of that dependency; its maintainers
have not responded since the bug was opened 4 months ago.
[...]

I think, only anydesk will be a reason not to do a full-upgrade if needed. My two cents!

EDIT: I might be wrong, you can check it with, for example, aptitude why/why-not <package>
« Last Edit: 2020/04/05, 14:02:21 by hendrikL »

Offline samoht

• User
Der anydesk Maintainer hat auf meinen Report geantwortet:
... vielen Dank für die Nachricht, uns ist das Problem in Sid bekannt und wir planen eine längerfristige Lösung, die allerdings noch einige Zeit in Anspruch nehmen wird...

The anydesk maintainer has responded to my report:
... thank you for the message, we are aware of the problem in Sid and we are planning a longer-term solution, but it will take some time...

Offline McBane

• User
As a temp fix, I changed libpango1.0-0 to libpango-1.0-0  in the control file of the dropbox .deb by myself. After that, installs and works flawlessly as expected.

Offline sunrat

• User
The only application I have which depends on libpango is Deadbeef player. I did the same as McBane, edited the control file and the modified .deb installs fine with libpango1.0-0 gone. As expected too. ;)

I posted the issue at Deadbeef GitHub.

libhdf5-103 is replaced by libhdf5-103-1 so it's probably fine to let that go.
« Last Edit: 2020/04/10, 12:04:08 by sunrat »

Offline ReinerS

• User
Hmm, silly question: How did you exactly do that and got it saved ad .deb file?
Which editor did you use?

I somehow just donot get it.:-(
regards
Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline sunrat

• User
Hmm, silly question: How did you exactly do that and got it saved ad .deb file?
Which editor did you use?

I did it with dpkg-deb as root. There are other ways like using fakeroot but that seemed simplest.

mkdir tmp
dpkg-deb -R deadbeef-static_1.8.3-1_amd64.deb tmp
nano /home/roger/temp/tmp/DEBIAN/control
dpkg-deb -b tmp deadbeef-static_1.8.3-1~re1_amd64.deb

The first answer on this StackExchange page is helpful:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/138188/easily-unpack-deb-edit-postinst-and-repack-deb

I got a reply from Deadbeef's developer. He said libpango is a dependency of GTK anyway so shouldn't even be in the control file. He removed it from the control file in git master.
« Last Edit: 2020/04/12, 01:23:44 by sunrat »

Offline ReinerS

• User
@ sunrat:Thank you, I just learned again something I didn't know.
regards
Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Offline sunrat

• User
@ sunrat:Thank you, I just learned again something I didn't know.
regards
Reiner
I relearned it too.  ;) Have done it ages ago but long forgotten. Thanks once again, StackExchange!