Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  [solved] dependencies problem with xserver-xorg  (Read 29724 times)

Millie

Re: dependencies problem with xserver-xorg
« Reply #15 on: 2015/05/06, 01:46:53 »
@ Millie
But you also lost this packages, could be bad?
I did a full power-off reboot after d-u. No problems.

Also, when you use apt-hold and you do a d-u, it lists all the packages on hold, so you would not have to worry about forgetting "what" is on hold.  ;)

Offline Jörg

• User
« Reply #16 on: 2015/05/06, 08:23:03 »
After setting "apt-mark unhold xserver-xorg-core"  the output of DU is:

Code: [Select]
[08:00:29] root@thinkpad-s540:/home/jorg# apt-get dist-upgrade -dV                                                         
Reading package lists... Done                                                                                                       
Building dependency tree                                                                                                           
Reading state information... Done                                                                                                   
Calculating upgrade... Done                                                                                                         
The following packages will be REMOVED:                                                                                             
   xserver-xorg-video-ati (7.5.0-1+b1)                                                                                             
   xserver-xorg-video-intel (2.21.15-2+b2)                                                                                         
   xserver-xorg-video-mach64 (6.9.4-2)                                                                                             
   xserver-xorg-video-r128 (6.9.2-1+b2)
The following packages will be upgraded:
   xserver-xorg-core (1.16.4-1 => 1.17.1-2)
   xserver-xorg-video-fbdev (0.4.4-1+b2 => 0.4.4-1+b3)
   xserver-xorg-video-mga (1.6.4-1 => 1.6.4-1+b1)
   xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (1.0.11-1 => 1.0.11-1+b1)
   xserver-xorg-video-radeon (7.5.0-1 => 7.5.0-1+b1)
   xserver-xorg-video-vesa (2.3.3-1+b3 => 2.3.3-1+b4)
   xserver-xorg-video-vmware (13.1.0-1 => 13.1.0-1+b1)
7 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4,127 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,740 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

I decided to abort the DU, to "apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-core" again (because it looks to risky, at least for me!) and to wait a few more days.

Greetings,
Jörg

Offline ayla

• User
« Reply #17 on: 2015/05/06, 08:45:39 »
I decided to abort the DU, to "apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-core" again (because it looks to risky, at least for me!) and to wait a few more days.

Seems to be okay only for nvidia cards atm.

xserver-xorg-video-ati (7.5.0-1+b1)                                                                                             
   xserver-xorg-video-intel (2.21.15-2+b2) 
Intel and Ati (radeon) better be patient.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #18 on: 2015/05/06, 12:21:45 »
Nvidia is ok here using 

apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-core

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF106 [GeForce GTS 450]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@59.94hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTS 450/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 349.16

Building dependency tree
The following packages have been kept back:
  xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-modesetting xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Millie

« Reply #19 on: 2015/05/06, 14:17:18 »

I decided to live on the edge and update my xfce today since my lxde hasn't shown any problems with recent updates. No problems found after full power off restart.

Nvida graphics:
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV4C GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.4.2
root@siductionxfce:/home/millie# apt-get dist-upgrade
Building dependency tree       
  xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-mach64
  xserver-xorg-video-modesetting xserver-xorg-video-r128
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  linux-headers-4.0.1-towo.2-siduction-686 linux-image-4.0.1-towo.2-siduction-686
The following packages will be upgraded:
  at-spi2-core btrfs-tools console-setup console-setup-linux cpp-4.9 curl g++-4.9 gcc-4.9
  gcc-4.9-base gcc-5-base gir1.2-atk-1.0 gnome-keyring gnupg gpgv intltool-debian
  keyboard-configuration libasan1 libassuan0 libatk-bridge2.0-0 libatk1.0-0 libatk1.0-data libatomic1
  libatspi2.0-0 libav-tools libavcodec56 libavdevice55 libavfilter5 libavformat56 libavresample2
  libavutil54 libcap-ng0 libcilkrts5 libcurl3 libcurl3-gnutls libdatrie1 libdjvulibre-text
  libdjvulibre21 libgcc-4.9-dev libgcc1 libgfortran3 libgnutls-deb0-28 libgnutls-openssl27 libgomp1
  libio-socket-ssl-perl libitm1 libnm-gtk-common libnm-gtk0 libpam-gnome-keyring libquadmath0
  libstdc++-4.9-dev libstdc++6 libswscale3 libtcl8.5 libtiff5 libubsan0 libxfcegui4-4 libzvbi-common
  libzvbi0 linux-headers-siduction-686 linux-image-siduction-686 logrotate network-manager-gnome
  scrot traceroute xserver-common xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-qxl
  xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware
74 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 81.7 MB of archives.
After this operation, 125 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #20 on: 2015/05/06, 14:57:05 »
Nvidia is ok here using 

apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-core

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF106 [GeForce GTS 450]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@59.94hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTS 450/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 349.16

Building dependency tree
The following packages have been kept back:
  xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-modesetting xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.

Piper, you would not need to hold the xserver, since you use our nvidia-packages.
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #21 on: 2015/05/06, 16:41:12 »
Right -- I just updated three systems with: (1) Nvidia current driver, (2) Nvidia 340-xxx driver, and (3) nouveau driver.  All updated with no issues.

Two systems with Intel graphics will wait a while longer.
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline seasons

• User
« Reply #22 on: 2015/05/06, 19:23:58 »
Is there a bug report for it? Depending on xserver-xorg-video-all seems like a bad idea to me (Recommends would be better). Why should a user need to have all video driver packages installed? Some users prefer to keep as lean of a system as possible.

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #23 on: 2015/05/06, 19:34:47 »
Why should a user need to have all video driver packages installed? Some users prefer to keep as lean of a system as possible.

I agree with you on this point. However, think about the issue from the Debian viewpoint -- the distro is supposed to work on every system possible.  They would probably say "not a bug, it is a feature!"

So, you can manually remove as many non-needed video driver packages as you want and if you don't have the metapackage, you will not see them again (until after the next Debian version and end of freeze).
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline seasons

• User
« Reply #24 on: 2015/05/06, 20:28:35 »
I guess I didn't understand the problem completely. I have now removed the xserver-xorg metapackage. Useless...

They would probably say "not a bug, it is a feature!"
I automatically sneeze when I hear that phrase. I'm allergic to bullshit.

John

« Reply #25 on: 2015/05/06, 20:42:54 »
Hi folks,

I'm new to siduction .. it's a great system, thx to you ..

Unfortunately I stepped into "read warnings after upgrade trap".

(Just for clarification / other users with similiar problems:) I'm using an Asus Eee 1005HA with intel gfx .. after updating today, I discovered that X-Server CPU load was about 100% (htop), so checked Xorg.log and found "failed to load module intel (module does not exist, 0). apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel gives unresolved dependencies to xorg-video-abi-18, which is not available ..

Did I read it right that the problem will be solved soon  ;) ?

Greetz

John

PS: it's not my day  :'( - installed "kids place parental control" on my android mobile, forgot the pin and now I can't stop it running .. they did a good job at kiddoware, but the phone is atm just usable for my kids  ;D   
« Last Edit: 2015/05/06, 20:49:28 by John »

Offline drb

• User
« Reply #26 on: 2015/05/06, 21:52:47 »
Have you allowed some drivers to go? If so, shouldb't be a disaster as the siduction nvidia driver appears to work fine and vesa should work if not. A;ways be wary if packages are deleted!

Having read through all the above, which is the package wanting intel driver to go? I'm struggling to find any bug reports.

Offline towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #27 on: 2015/05/06, 22:00:03 »
I guess I didn't understand the problem completely. I have now removed the xserver-xorg metapackage. Useless...

They would probably say "not a bug, it is a feature!"
I automatically sneeze when I hear that phrase. I'm allergic to bullshit.

You should start and use your brain before posting such bullshit.
siduction is at 1st a live system, you know?
So that system should boot on all, unknown hardware in the wild.
So it would not make many sense to provide only the driver for that graphics card, that is used by you!
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

John

« Reply #28 on: 2015/05/06, 22:11:57 »
Have you allowed some drivers to go? If so, shouldb't be a disaster as the siduction nvidia driver appears to work fine and vesa should work if not. A;ways be wary if packages are deleted!

Having read through all the above, which is the package wanting intel driver to go? I'm struggling to find any bug reports.

I'm not sure if your answer is related to my question .. if, I don't understand what it helps that nvidia drivers work when my system has an intel gma 950 gfx chipset ?!? Yes, vesa works but is sluggish and not usable ..

I don't know if I allowed drivers to go - just hacked apt-get dist-upgrade in terminal (with init 3 before ;-)

So I guess that the dependency problem with xorg-intel will be solved, I'm right ? Or what could I do instead ?

So long

John

Offline dibl

• Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #29 on: 2015/05/06, 22:24:55 »
@John if your system uses the intel driver, at this moment in the transition a d-u will rip it out like this:

root@HP-350G1:/# apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-intel
xserver-xorg-video-intel:
  Installed: 2:2.21.15-2+b2
  Candidate: 2:2.21.15-2+b2
  Version table:
 *** 2:2.21.15-2+b2 0
        500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
root@HP-350G1:/# apt-get dist-upgrade
Building dependency tree       
  xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-intel ..........

So you cannot run dist-upgrade at this time.  When the dependencies for the new intel driver can all be satisfied, then it will come in during a d-u. So, we wait.

If you have already lost your intel driver, then you have the opportunity to either (a) reinstall from a Live ISO image or (b) practice your skills installing the older version intel driver using the "=2.21.15-2+b2" option. (Might or might not work correctly depending on what else happened during the last d-u).

EDIT:  Hint -- ver. 2.21.15-2+b2 is now in the stable repo, which you would need to enable.
« Last Edit: 2015/05/06, 22:36:52 by dibl »