Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  D-U-Warning: Jessie released last weekend of April  (Read 7724 times)

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Hello,

since 5th of November jessie is frozen and so sid was partially frozen (aka slushy: only minor updates for bugfixes  permitted). The debian release team has set 25/04/2015 as the ETA (Estimated time of arrival).

The next development cycle will start with a copy of Jessie in the new testing repo named "Stretch" and Sid being unstable as always. Then debian will be unfrozen and a flood of packages will stream into unstable. After 10 days packages without known issues can migrate into testing.

For siduction user this means: Immediately after the jessie release the gates of experimental repo will be opened and packages will run into unstable like a stampede of wild GNUs. (just imagine you want to sort out the zebras ...)

So be prepared and make your last easy dist-upgrade today (Friday, 24/04/2015).

Things will eventually become rough afterwards and so you will better stay away from dist-upgrading a few days.

greetings
musca
« Last Edit: 2015/05/08, 00:20:20 by musca »
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
Re: Prewarning: Jessie release this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: 2015/04/24, 17:12:21 »
In not so nice words - the gates of hell will be opened and there are chances to mess up systems completely. So - unless you really know what you doing - read the apt-output and the upgrade warnings twice before any upgrade. If in doubt, don't press 'y'.

PS: In case bad things happend - a current backup might be a good idea
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Millie

« Reply #2 on: 2015/04/24, 20:30:46 »
Thanks for the info, guys. This is my first "season" with Siduction, and it looks like it will be a stormy one for me. A lot to learn.

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #3 on: 2015/04/24, 20:51:04 »
Thanks for the info, guys. This is my first "season" with Siduction, and it looks like it will be a stormy one for me. A lot to learn.
My experience is that the "hell" is most for the siduction team, they do a very good work to wipe away the "hell" before it reach us users. Just  wait a little, take care, read the "Upgrade Warnings" before d-u and do as melmarker wrote, check the output from apt before pressing y to an d-u.

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #4 on: 2015/04/24, 21:13:25 »
To be true, i don't expect that much breakages or total messed up systems for experienced users - but for new users that never has the chance to play with sid directly after a debian release the times might be rough. So better safe than sorry 8) - Maybe i'm getting old and a little to much paranoid.

For myself i have a plan: Ignore any warnings, install whatever hit sid and have fun - unless the new packages in sid are to old ...
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. (Benjamin Franklin, November 11, 1755)
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlons razor)

Offline vilde

• User
« Reply #5 on: 2015/04/24, 21:29:30 »
For myself i have a plan: Ignore any warnings, install whatever hit sid and have fun - unless the new packages in sid are to old ...
That's living on the edge  8)

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #6 on: 2015/04/24, 21:37:44 »
The cool thing about the release is: I don't have to fetch packages from experimental or build them myself. And that helps a lot.

Offline piper

• User
  • we are the priests ... of the temples of syrinx
« Reply #7 on: 2015/04/25, 14:35:53 »
Quote from: Millie

Hi Millie, your best bet would be to keep a close eye on this forum

Upgrade Warnings (DE / EN)

Or the IRC channel.

I myself love the floodgates from hell  :)
Free speech isn't just fucking saying what you want to say, it's also hearing what you don't want to fucking hear

I either give too many fucks or no fucks at all, it's like I cannot find a middle ground for a moderate fuck distribution, it's like what the fuck

Offline musca

• User
  • sid, fly high!
Re: D-U-Warning: Jessie release this weekend.
« Reply #8 on: 2015/04/25, 16:42:52 »
confirmed, the release is in progress:  https://identi.ca/debian
The amd64 images are available for tests.
„Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt.“  (Goethe, Faust)

Offline seasons

• User
« Reply #9 on: 2015/04/25, 18:07:00 »
This is my first "season" with Siduction

You rang? ;)

Quote from: melmarker
For myself i have a plan: Ignore any warnings, install whatever hit sid and have fun - unless the new packages in sid are too old ...
Yes! I'm with you. Let's find those packaging bugs!

Offline DeepDayze

• User
« Reply #10 on: 2015/04/25, 19:33:59 »
That's living on the edge  8)

Some of us are insane enough for that  8) ;D

Offline melmarker

• User
    • g-com.eu
« Reply #11 on: 2015/04/25, 20:04:38 »
hey - i will be very careful if i hit 'y' - its my production system :D

Millie

« Reply #12 on: 2015/04/25, 21:42:44 »
This is my first "season" with Siduction

You rang? ;)

;D LOL!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. This is a great forum!

Offline dibl

• siduction community member
  • Global Moderator
  • User
    • Land of the Buckeye
« Reply #13 on: 2015/04/25, 23:13:09 »
First d-u this afternoon (U.S. Eastern) was peaceful.  LibreOffice, open-symbol fonts, curl, and some libraries came in, but there was no trouble.  Maybe tomorrow will be more exciting.   ;D
System76 Oryx Pro, Intel Core i7-11800H, SSD 970 EVO Plus;  Asus ROG STRIX X299-E, Core i7-7740X, Nvidia GTX-1060, dual monitors, SSD 860 EVO

Offline cas

• User
« Reply #14 on: 2015/04/27, 21:04:33 »
Just out of curiosity. What does this mean?

So - unless you really know what you doing

read the apt-output and the upgrade warnings twice before any upgrade.

yes, I read the apt-output, etc, but this obviously doesn't qualify me, calling myself "I really know what I do"   8)

So, what kind of experience, knowledge is meant?

greetings, C