Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic:  Keine virtuellen Konsolen mehr?  (Read 5359 times)

Offline ReinerS

• User
Re: Keine virtuellen Konsolen mehr?
« Reply #30 on: 2019/06/23, 22:14:59 »
Well, as I mentioned below that just happened (when I realized it) maybe since 2-3 weeks ago. Before that it worked ok. And it also is the case with the siduction live-dvd. So I assumed that dibl was somehow on the right track on that. I didnot suspect a driver-problem at all.
Regards
Reiner
slackware => SuSE => kanotix => sidux => aptosid  => siduction

Online towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #31 on: 2019/06/24, 13:58:38 »
Which display manager you use?
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #32 on: 2019/06/24, 14:45:39 »
I use sddm and XFCE DE.

Online towo

• Administrator
  • User
« Reply #33 on: 2019/06/24, 15:17:18 »
Can you try with lightdm?
Ich gehe nicht zum Karneval, ich verleihe nur manchmal mein Gesicht.

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #34 on: 2019/06/24, 17:02:55 »
I will try later and report.

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #35 on: 2019/06/24, 19:29:09 »
@towo: I guess I found/located the problem. Seems related to some silly hardware configuration/combination problem.

I have the laptop attached to an HP-Dockingstation and had an additional Monitor connected via VGA to it which I switch on when needed. Worked always like a charm when needed with all resolutions I used.
So some weeks ago I got an bigger Monitor connected via DVI and was/am working since wih that when needed instead. No problems at all found until lately when I once again tried to use the virtual consoles.
Hadn't the slightest idea that it could have been related to that. :(

I found out/realized it when I tried to get lightdm working. It switched the screen completely black then, while sddm had frozen the screen.So during experimenting I disconnected the laptop from the docking station and the problem was gone. Reconnected the laptop to the docking station and disconnected that Monitor (the problem was even there when the Monitor was switched off) and the problem stayed gone.Reconnected the Monitor and Problem reappeared.

So knowing the cause yet I can avoid the problem. I might experiment with an cable with HDMI-Connector to see what effects this has.

So, sorry for the exitment and thanks to all trying to help me on that.
Regards
Reiner

Offline der_bud

• User
« Reply #36 on: 2019/06/25, 16:18:13 »
... So, sorry for the exitment  ...
At least this thread might be helpful for everone with a similar problem, and as reference that it's not always about the usual suspects like graphic cards driver, kernel or login manager. So in the future supporters might ask 'any recent hardware changes? Laptop? How connected, docking station in use?'
BTW can inxi show information about the monitor connected and does it see if a laptop is docked?
Du lachst? Wieso lachst du? Das ist doch oft so, Leute lachen erst und dann sind sie tot.

Offline ReinerS

• User
« Reply #37 on: 2019/06/25, 17:04:34 »
@der_bud: inxi seems not to show any monitor infos other than the actual resolution.
With an second monitor active there is a second resolution listed:
Code: [Select]
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
           chip ID: 8086:0166
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel resolution: 1366x768~60Hz, 1680x1050~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile v: 4.2 Mesa 18.3.6 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes

Infos about Dockingstation I have found none within inxi yet.

Regards

Reiner